Switching to lefty....

Sargent

Anyone ever do this?

I am right handed, left-eye dominant. It worked okay for years- I closed my left eye.

In the past few years, I have developed eye issues leading to blurred vision in my right eye.

Now, it is more difficult to shoot with just my right eye.

I have two options- keep treating the right eye and hoping that it improves (currently seeing an ophthalmologist) or switch to left handed.

I'm impatient, so I am leaning towards switching. This way, my dominant eye will be in line and everything will work as designed.

If you've switched, what is the learning curve like? I'm not trying to do this by the start of this season- just planning for the future.

Huntinfool

Can't speak to switching. But my son is a righty who is left-eye dominant. He just learned how to shoot lefty and has never had any issues at all. I'm sure it would be a big change, but I'm betting it will feel WAY more natural once you get the hang of it.

earlthegoat2

I have done this exact thing.

I have always been left eye dominant and I just lived with it for a few years until my right eye started degrading a bit in my late teens and using pin sights became undoable.

It made a huge difference for the better. The switch was awkward but not difficult really. The ease of sighting made it so worthwhile.

I also switched to lefty shooting long guns. Once again, not horrible. I was able to use open sights much better.

I have stayed righty for handguns and shoot cross eyed.

In the military, shooting long guns lefty and handguns righty made doing transition drills a breeze. The instructors tried to make me switch but they couldn’t argue with my end results.

uturn

I am right eye dominant but, can shoot left handed as well! Not as graceful as right handed but fairly well really!

I read an article a few years ago about a pretty well known archer that I believe was injured and began to shoot left handed at like age 68 or something and had taken all kinds of Pope and Young since switching!!

Keep slinging anyway you can and be patient along the way!!

Good luck!

2dye4

I think I need to do this for my son. He has to wear an eye patch because he left eye dominant, although he’s never missed a deer with his bow. But May be more comfortable for him. Expensive trial

Arrowed14

I switched about 8 years ago same situation. I shoot better now than I did before. It was weird at first but after a month of shooting every day it starts feeling normal.

Ihunt

Swap after this deer season. Get a 30-40lb bow to “learn” how to shoot left handed. Teach yourself good form since you do not have to break old,bad habits.

F.A.R.R.

I did this too.

Have always shot guns left handed. I was given a right handed stick bow when i was really young and shot it right handed. When I got my 1st compound bow with sights and all it was left handed and it was pretty easy the shoot it .

I had a harder time making the shift to lefthanded with bare bows , might of took 6 months or so for it to feel natural, but now ( many many years later) its all good

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
it may feel awkward for a bit, but no doubt you’ll get used to it……but I’d work on fixing the eye first and foremost.

rosewood

Pigman had an auto accident and lost most vision in right eye. He shoots rifles lefty now I think, but has built an offset site for his bow so he can aim with left eye but still shoot left handed.

I myself have killed lots of deer left handed and I'm am righty and right eye dominant. Just takes practice. Sometimes field conditions demand you to adapt.

Rosewood

rako

I switched shooting my bow from right to left years ago. It's not as hard as it sounds and I shoot better. I don't gun hunt much, but I still shoot right handed because the scope compensates for my weaker eye.