Tack driver

JNG

I picked up a Remington 700 in .270 at a gun show recently. I had big plans to accurize the daylights out of it, and had set aside a few hundred dollars for the purpose. It occurred to me that I should test fire it after every modification, just to keep track of what helps, what doesn't etc. I started by floating the barrel. I sanded out the barrel channel, but the gun back together, stuck a Leupold VX-III on top, and took it out to the range. It shot groups of .51", .75", .53", and .98" at 100 yards. :yeah: I think I might be done with the accurizing process. Now I get to figure out how to spend all the money I had budgeted . . .

SmokyMtnSmoke

Dress her up! :D

A-3_lg.jpg

Like one of these...

Picture280.jpg

shop foreman

stop now . it didn't hurt that you started with an accurate gun right off, when i got my 700, rem. had ads about how great it was out of the box first two shots at 80 yards w/ iron sights 1/4" off center 1/4" apart that thang can shoot.

GAbuckhunter88

The 700 is definatly a tack driver. My father got one another one this year in a 30.06 and he put a Nikon Monarch 3-9x and he nearly one holes them at 100 yards. That was before the barrel was floated. Now that we floated the barrel he does one hole them no problem.

Larry Rooks

The ONLY thing I would try now is experimenting with some different loads. You might find one that shoots better than what you are shooting now, but might NOT either::; If it is grouping that way, just keep the barrel clean and keep shooting:cool: Floating the barrel on a rifle usually makes a ton of difference, and it probably did on this one too:cool:

my baby

Attachments

• My Baby.jpg
    My Baby.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 9

Dub

It just goes to show how well a gun will shoot once you put a Leupold on it!!!::ke:

Seriously, though.....I think I'd be happy with that gun as is!!!! The only thing that I'd do is to get some type of wood sealer and apply a coat where you floated the barrell. This may help prevent the wood from absorbing moisture and guard against just having a seasonal tack driver.

Good luck. You've got a great weapon in a great caliber.:cool: