Tag # 2 Starts Wednesday

longbowdave1

Well, no bird today of one of the most fun, gobble fest filled mornings! It started as soon as I made my way to the little hide out. I thought I heard a gobble while setting up, but I didn't have my hearing helpers on yet. As soon as I put the Walkers Game Ear stuff on, it was showtime! There were multiple birds gobbling on my right while still on the roost. They weren't far away, just on the next property to the North. Then was gobbling non stop for almost an hour. At 6:20, I had one gobbling to my left and on the ground. He was slowly walking left to right out in front of me about 70 yards, gobbling every other step he took! Then I would make a soft call, he would hammer right back and stop, then continue to move. He circled within about 50 yard of me but he was just out of range, but I did get a good look at him. There was more gobbling from multiple directions, non stop until 9:45. Crows flew over and called, the birds shock gobbled! Sand Hill Cranes flew over, they shock gobbled! I would make any type of call, they gobbled back. I just couldn't draw them in. Then Someone drove in the crop field on a side by side circling my area, and all the action was over. Dead quiet after that. One my walk back I realized how thick the vegetation had become now that it was in full bloom with the recent downpour. My brother and I call it "Cambodia" when it's green down there, you can't hardly see 10 yards in front of you.

While sneaking my way back to the Jeep I stumbled into a Tom. He busted out on the ground 10 yards in front of me, went into full "Road Runner" mode! I lowered my bag of gear, brought up the gun, cocked the hammer and swung on him. Just like a rabbit! I had the red dot on him, he needed one more step to be in the clear shooting lane. He took a hard left, and disappeared into the marsh grass, no shot fired. He was great looking Tom, probably an 11 inch plus beard.

All In all, a great day of turkey hunting! A blessed day to be in the woods! I may get out next week in the far North, not sure. Good news is I get to hunt them in the Fall too!

Wayne D Davis

I was rooting for you man. Go north!!! I believe you're on to something with the spring loaded box call. I also want to thank you again for the test model you sent me. Sorry I didn't harvest one with it but I can tell you it sure called in several birds.

longbowdave1

I was rooting for you man. Go north!!! I believe you're on to something with the spring loaded box call. I also want to thank you again for the test model you sent me. Sorry I didn't harvest one with it but I can tell you it sure called in several birds.

nThanks Wayne I'm glad you go to use the call this season. I have to get one with the tube call you sent me, I'm getting better using it. I had two of my spring box calls in action today, the cedar one as well as the rosewood one. With my hearing helpers on, I could really hear the reverb in the call. I also had my self made copper pot call, and the crystal call I put together. Last hunt of the season until fall down here so I threw the kitchen sink at them. Three times, I had them come in within 60 yards, hammer cocked, and waiting. So close today. I really should throw the shotgun and the vest in the Jeep for the long weekend. Maybe a new hunting ground will produce. Camping, fishing, hunting, visiting with friends and family.... Sounds like a terrible weekend. lol

Wayne D Davis

nThanks Wayne I'm glad you go to use the call this season. I have to get one with the tube call you sent me, I'm getting better using it. I had two of my spring box calls in action today, the cedar one as well as the rosewood one. With my hearing helpers on, I could really hear the reverb in the call. I also had my self made copper pot call, and the crystal call I put together. Last hunt of the season until fall down here so I threw the kitchen sink at them. Three times, I had them come in within 60 yards, hammer cocked, and waiting. So close today. I really should throw the shotgun and the vest in the Jeep for the long weekend. Maybe a new hunting ground will produce. Camping, fishing, hunting, visiting with friends and family.... Sounds like a terrible weekend. lol
Yeah! Just awful. I'd do it too

longbowdave1

You talked me in to it. The turkey gear is in the Jeep for the weekend. I think me and my brother will go out Friday morning right be hind his place! Maybe I will have a story to share next week I'll be out of cell reception until i get back. Another benefit of going up there!

Here is a picture of nest #2 where I was hiding out on Tuesdays hunt.Turkey nest.jpg

Wayne D Davis

You talked me in to it. The turkey gear is in the Jeep for the weekend. I think me and my brother will go out Friday morning right be hind his place! Maybe I will have a story to share next week I'll be out of cell reception until i get back. Another benefit of going up there!

Here is a picture of nest #2 where I was hiding out on Tuesdays hunt.View attachment 1017771
I love the natural blind....i do the same thing and toss leaves and straw up into the holes. Cool man. Not many peep holes in that nest/ mini cabin.

longbowdave1

Hunting now. A few distant gobbles. Heard a three shot blast not far away on public land earlier. Either someone is a bad shot, or just really mad at that Turkey, and shot it three times.

longbowdave1

Caught just a few crappies from shore, but they ate real well. Not much action Turkey hunting but very relaxing in a nice chunk of hardwoods. My brother was calling and I was on the gun. The following day he had a big ol black bear come in in the same area I was sitting in. Lot of campfire time.

longbowdave1

Here's a few pictures from the weekend. the secret crappie hole is a small lake 20 minutes North of the campground, way back in the national forest. None of my fishing armada was out of winter dry dock yet Thursday, but the boats and kayak are ready for the next trip. Heaven on earth when your out there! And a little turkey hunt picture.mem day 1.jpgmem day 2.jpgme day 3.jpgmem day 4.jpgmem day 5.jpg

longbowdave1

My friend told me about this lake, and another one about a mile away from it. Both are about 80 acre lakes in the middle of no where. A round bowl shaped lake, about 12-15 feet deep in the center, lily pads and weeds abound, river and spring fed lakes. If you sneak in there mid week, you won't see another sole out there. Great kayak spots when the wind is calm. There are a handfull of primative camp sites that fill up fast, on one of the lakes. That has to be a peaceful camp/fish trip for sure. I should take the teardrop camper back there one day, with my brother and our kayaks. Big crappie, bluegill, large mouth bass, and Northern pike in them. The Electric Kayak is ready to go next trip up there!