Taking 'em to school

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Needs some Easy Cheese™ and I don't see any deviled ham or potted meat, but otherwise looks great.

I carry an ammo box full of sardines, corned beef, potted meat, Vienna sausages, smoked oysters, Tabasco™ sauce, and saltine crackers in the trunk of my car for impromptu snacks or while fishing and exploring about.

There's plenty of potted meat there. They've enjoyed it.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Vienna sausage and crackers have save from starvation on many a hunting or fishing trip. When we use to dog hunt in the cold months there would always be some beanie weenies on the truck manifold.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Yep. Don`t forget smoked oysters too. And raw turnip roots will make you live longer. They good for you.

I love a raw turnips with salt on them. Just dont eat them as often as I used too, because of the diet. I still sneak one in every once and a while.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like the raw turnips, too. Which is odd, because I can't stand cooked turnips.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you're over 16 years old and you ain't et Vienners and potted meat straight from the can you ain't nuthin'. Fried Spam for brefkus ain't gonna save you either. It's all or none in this world.

little rascal

Turnip Root

I had one in the bottom of the fridge, kinda forgot about. Well it wouldn't rot or go bad, it finally started sprouting. I took it out and planted it in a pot, now I got Turnip greens growing about a foot tall.
Ya'll forgot Scrapple and Souse meat!

treemanjohn

Banned
I've not eaten any of that in many years. I ate my share of it growing up, but mainly during fishing and hunting trips.

Same here I even tried to roast vienners on the fire. Wasn't working. Might as well CensoredCensoredCensored this to your lesson.
ecf81283-a529-4d9f-a0c1-bc217506ce90_1.a6f6ac7e6b2870bab354e6bd37ec0475.jpeg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I had one in the bottom of the fridge, kinda forgot about. Well it wouldn't rot or go bad, it finally started sprouting. I took it out and planted it in a pot, now I got Turnip greens growing about a foot tall.
Ya'll forgot Scrapple and Souse meat!

I've been trying to forget souse meat for about forty years now. I have no use for it. I don't know what scrapple is.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Same here I even tried to roast vienners on the fire. Wasn't working. Might as well CensoredCensoredCensored this to your lesson.
ecf81283-a529-4d9f-a0c1-bc217506ce90_1.a6f6ac7e6b2870bab354e6bd37ec0475.jpeg

We had Underwood deviled ham on our honeymoon, no lie. My wife still won't let me live it down. We were in Yellowstone in October and there was nothing open except one little store. Rather than drive out of the park several hours for a meal, we packed what we could find in that little store. I have fond memories of a lakeside picnic on the shores of Yellowstone lake, with trail mix, crackers and deviled ham.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I still eat those on hunting and fishing trips, along with sardines. Would not seem a complete trip without.

I remember a night of possum hunting when I was a kid. After chasing treeing dogs all night, my dad and the land owner and I stopped in the owners field and sat down and peeled turnips and ate them raw. That night they were mighty good.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
I've eaten all the above. Fondest memories of them are when me and my Diddy were fishing. I fed my boy Vienna's when he was sitting in the highchair. Don't get choked on them like you do hot dogs. :cool: When he was a teenager working at the grocery store he came home with a can of Spam and said he wanted to try it. He liked it.:D

Stroker

You left Treat out of all those delicacies . Spam, a fried egg on white bread with mayo was a regular for breakfast when I was young. Ate many a peeled raw turnip right there in the field, would feed the tops to the mules we was plowin with.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
You left Treat out of all those delicacies . Spam, a fried egg on white bread with mayo was a regular for breakfast when I was young. Ate many a peeled raw turnip right there in the field, would feed the tops to the mules we was plowin with.

Treet and Spam are pretty much the same, like Coke/RC. Treet is better, though. :)

Dub

My history classes have been studying the Progressive era of the early 20th century. They read excerpts from Upton Sinclair's The Jungle and we've looked in depth at the modern meat industry. I've had to do a lot of debunking of myths about what goes into our food. I've showed them how hot dogs are made and I showed them the pictures from the last hogs we slaughtered.

So tomorrow is test day, and I'm bringing this! Some of these sheltered kids are gonna have an awakening tomorrow.

40735846662_71aa8b7dc7_b.jpg

Yessir. Teach & Preach to those youngsters. :cool:

Vienna's were always had when my Dad & I would go scuba diving. We'd fish during our surface intervals between dives. Two things that would always be enjoyed were: Vienna's with the juice poured out....replaced with vinegar & black pepper........and later on some cold fried chicken that Mom would have fried up for us the day before. Some of the best eating I've ever had !!!! It'd really kick up a notch if we were lucky enough to spear some grouper. We'd clean them when we got back to the dock....Mom would marinate them in Italian dressing and dredge through some eggs & House Autry mix and we'd fry 'em up with some hush puppies in the back yard. Great times !!!!!

Yep. Don`t forget smoked oysters too. And raw turnip roots will make you live longer. They good for you.

I'm all about some smoked oysters !!!!

Vienna sausage and crackers have save from starvation on many a hunting or fishing trip. When we use to dog hunt in the cold months there would always be some beanie weenies on the truck manifold.

Agreed on that. My Uncle Bill would always come through bigtime on such hunts when I was a kid. He'd slice hot dogs down the middle and stuff some cheddar in them.....wrap up in foil and cook 'em on his engine. Canned beans were the normal side for this scrumptious meal.

I often cheated when out hunting and would break out a smallish camp stove on the tailgate and could conjure up some pretty decent eats. Fried Spam sammiches with ketchup & mustard with a fried onion slice is always good. :cool:

Stroker

Treet and Spam are pretty much the same, like Coke/RC. Treet is better, though. :)

You are correct Hillbilly, it was spelled Treet, not Treat. I haven't had Treet since the 60's and have not missed it, but I still get a hankering for me some Spam ever couple of months. Straight up or fried works for me.

Dub

I've been trying to forget souse meat for about forty years now. I have no use for it. I don't know what scrapple is.

Same here. Neither for me, thanks. Hopefully I'll have some beef jerky on hand in such times. :hair:

Dr. Strangelove

Scrapple is kind of a Yankee version of livermush, one of my favorite breakfast foods, or even just sliced cold as a sandwich, being as I'm from western NC.