team #17

jmfdakaniterider2

Heading out today gonna get me a bird before long I know

dfhooked

Had the same bird yesterday pitch down to field edge 50 yds away no shot. Two hens were feeding 20 yds from me whike he was still blowin up on the limb when he hit the ground I clicked the safety off but a dand dog barked in the upper pasture and made the hens nervous and they went his way instead. Be there again in the am and saturday if needed. Just turned about 9 acres of dirt to plant so hopefully it will pull a few birds over.

Dupree

well i missed another one today. all i saw was his head about 15 yards running and i missed. he wouldnt come to a call and i put the ol sneak on him. the sneak worked but the shooting didnt go as planned. it wasnt the bird i have been on since i had just left him alone a long ways off and i was almost back to the truck when i heard the one i missed. maybe tomorrow. im getting frustrated.

Dupree

just talked to meandmydog and he is headed to his lease for the weeknd tonight. he is suppose to call me and give me updates. he said he is going to be after them wide open for the rest of the season and i should be headed down with him next saturday.

Dupree

didnt do any good friday and went fishing this morning. Going in the morning though. Anyone else still hunting?

dfhooked

no luck for me on saturday or friday. The birds were hammerin yesterday morning but unfortunately they were on my neighbors farm about 300yds across the line. Spent most of my time plantin beans and corn for the deer. I will be after em a little this week i am sure.

Dupree

i ended up not hunting sunday morning due to the rain and wind. i finally returned to work today, and may try for a couple of afternoon hunts this week after work. I know i will be hard after them on saturday and sunday. I had some trouble getting my 3rd bird last year too. Maybe we can get a couple more before the season ends.

dfhooked

anyword from anyone else on the birds??? it is almost done and this weekend is blown out for me but i am after em friday and monday am with a possibility of one more am next week. it's a long shot now but we need at least 3 birds and we all have had something screw up at least once. Oh well it has been fun regardless of outcome as this was an active team. Good Luck and Smash a Snood

Dupree

im gonna go this weekend. Being out of work for 3 weeks ruined me. Im dead tired when i get home in the evenings, cant seem to get motivated to go after work, plus it has been thunderstorming every afternoon too. maybe i can get us one more.

Wetzel

I've slowed down but have not given up. Still trying for one more. It's been a good season. Nice being on a team that was actually in the contest for a while regardless of the final outcome.

dfhooked

Rat ta tat tat #2 took a nap. 10pt bird for us once I enter him. 11 plus beard 1 qtr spurs. This morning I set up in the same spot that the dog ruined my hunt last week and it was foggy and humid leading me to believe the birds would be quiet and also late to fly down. About 20 minutes after daylight I got a curtosy GOBBLE 125 yds behind me but in great position to make it my direction. He was roosted totally different than last week so i repositioned on the pinetree and now faced him with the dove field to my back and right. Once the crows pinned in on his location and started barrading over the trees pretty low he started firing off pretty regularly and then i noticed a second bird sound off with him, this is good or so i am thinking. Gobbling continues long enough for a jake that was already down to make his way across the 10 acre field and try and find what all the racket was about. Soon after that, a group of hens between the gobblers and me started raisin a lot of cain up in the trees, and now i was just hoping that once they all flew down that the fresh turned dirt in the dove field would have them heading my way. I heard the hens fly down about 7:25ish and then got a couple on the ground gobbles from the Toms. I decided to hit em with a quick set of yelps and shut up hoping that they would come looking for the lost hen. About 3-5 minutes later is see 4 or 5 birds running down the edge of the woods towards the intersection and it is time to click off the safety and wait for them to round the corner for the finish line!! They stop before the intersection and GAWWWWWLLLL GAWWWLLLLLL, then a parade of 7 birds turns the corner looking for the hen. With 2 longbeards and 2 or 3 jakes and 2 or 3 hens scurrying around I knew since i was decoyless i wasn't gonna get alot of time to make it happen. The lead bird kinda chilled out and I put the gun on him...............Thank the good lord that i had 3 shells in my gun because I straight up whiffed the first bird not once but also a second shot as he was getting airborne, pretty sure i just pulled and did not have my head on the stock. Never to worry though, cuz as birds were scattering Longbeard #2 of the group stood still and just watched everyone else scatter and then ate a facefull of #6's at about 45 yards. The bird i missed was as big or bigger than this bird so maybe he will make our card before next friday at sunset. Here are some prelim pics before i post em on the scoreboard gotta make sure they are legible as this is a 10PTR for team #17. I am not hunting till sunday afternoon and monday morning but most likely will be trying to kill my dad a bird. Good luck to ya'll this weekend and put one or 3 down.-

Attachments

• Turkey #2 09' 037.jpg
    Turkey #2 09' 037.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Turkey #2 09' 045.jpg
    Turkey #2 09' 045.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Turkey #2 09' 046.jpg
    Turkey #2 09' 046.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 95
  • Turkey #2 09' 039.jpg
    Turkey #2 09' 039.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 91
  • Turkey #2 09' 051.jpg
    Turkey #2 09' 051.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 92
  • Turkey #2 09' 057.jpg
    Turkey #2 09' 057.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Dupree

im pumped back up now and ready for daylight tomorrow.

Wetzel

im pumped back up now and ready for daylight tomorrow.
You and me both. I'll be out there in the morning.

Great bird dfhooked. That'll help get the team back into this.

Without me taking time to look, anyone know how the points are adding up?

Dupree

we are tied for second with 47. team 26 has 51.

Dupree

had a bird within range for a long time today, but just over the rise gobbling his head off. spent a couple hours and several set ups, but the last time he gobbled he was probably 100 yards away. i think he may have gobbled up a hen. i know he was no more than 30 yards at one point in time. ill go back in after him in the morning. if he gobbles off the roost from the same spot i will just go straight to where he stayed on top of the hill today and bust him.

dfhooked

hopefully one of yall is taking pics right now!!! i am heading to the farm later this afternoon to call for my dad if he shows up otherwise i will be trying for #3 in the am.

Dupree

im not taking pics, not of any turkeys anyways. I did take some pictures of a snake this morning. I only heard a couple gobbles this morning, but they were so far off it was hard to pinpoint them. Just have got back home. it was a terrible last morning hunt of the year. I may go a couple afternoons this week. hopefully someone else had better luck than me.

dfhooked

alright Dad is backing out of making the drive from sc to the farm so i am after him solo in the am for a couple hours before the fertilizer truck comes out to put the juice on the bean and corn field for the deer. hopefully i can tag out in the morning!!!

Wetzel

hopefully i can tag out in the morning!!!
I hope you tag out with another good one....

I went yesterday and heard the most gobbling I've heard all season. Didn't get the bird in range, but it was a good morning. I'll be going the next several mornings. Hopefully things will work out and I'll get one.

Hope someone else has had some luck.