Team #2 "Dawn's Crackers"

Slings and Arrows

Hey Crackers! I don't know if we want to post up another 5 point bird this early in the season but after 1:00 today, I won't have access to post until next week. I'm confident I can get another 5 pointer or 2 before the season is up. What are your thoughts.

Offroadtek

I've hit public land nearby every morning this week before work, except today. I've heard from 1 to 3 birds every morning. None terribly close. I don't try a locator call there, I see where they are typically and work closer to their roost every morning. 1 bird was going crazy yesterday, he tripple gobbles one time. I think he was being worked by another hunter, though I never heard a shot. =) I'm not sure about high scorers from the WMA, but I've gotten atleast 1 adult bird from it each year.

Offroadtek

AWESOME S&A!!! My goodness how long is that beard?

struttin n ruttin

Well I had one of my most memorable hunts of my life today. My little brother killed his first bird at 12:30. He finally separated from his hens and came to investigate. I will put up the full story in the main turkey talk forum. Here is a pic from today.

Attachments

• IMG951123.jpg
    IMG951123.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 227

struttin n ruttin

What do ya'll think about holding out the rest of our birds for bonus birds? I think if our last 4 our bonus and a wildcard can be added at the end. Congrats S&A! What WERE his measurements?

Last edited:

lock on

I say post him and we will have 3 more to kill for bonus points plus our wild card. But it's up to the team. 4 bonus birds will be a strong finish if we can do it.

lock on

Struttin & Ruttin that's awesome. Glad y'all connected. I hope to Sunday. I'm going to some of the best land for miles around.

Slings and Arrows

Struttin, that is awesome! Congrats to your brother and welcome him to a life of obsession. My Eastern had 8.5 inch beard with 1 inch spurs. My week 2 bonus bird lost a point because they couldn't see both sides of the tape. He had a corkscrew beard that made it tough to stretch, hold and take photo. Still a 7 point though. Sorry, I hope it doesn't cost us in the end.

Last edited:

Slings and Arrows

FYI, merriums generally have the shortest spurs of any subspecies and rarely have 10 inch beards. I only have two days to get a rio on public land so I'm not going to be too picky. Don't count on me for a bonus bird in Oklahoma or Wyoming. However, I am hunting Blue ridge WMA over Easter break (camping with family and friends) and then working the Piedmont National Wildlife Refuge. maybe I can find a nice one there. I vote no on my 5 point bird from April 1. I'm good for another 5 point or two later in the season and it would be nice to put up a bonus bird or two first while the season is young. Offroadtec, you have another bird in your future. Loc on, you still have your trip to KY and there are some biguns there. Struttin, your on fire and confidence is running high. We can post a 5 point or two later in the season I think.

Last edited:

Offroadtek

I'm happy for your brother. You never forget your first. Don't feel bad about one point. I lost a whole bird last year because I forgot to have my phone in the pic of me with the bird.

lock on

Boys i ain't gonna lie, I'm tore up this morning. Almost feels like Christmas as a kid getting out this morning.Sitting here waiting on the 1st gobble of the morning. Hopefully soon I will be on 1. Good luck to all that's out this morning.

lock on

Guys I've been on a run of bad luck. Walked my tail off Sunday morning and this afternoon. Had to leave a bird gobbling on a limb Sunday morning due to another club member. We were within 75 yds of him and just left him. However, Friday I'm heading to Kentucky and I'm turning this season around. Can't wait

struttin n ruttin

Stay with it Lock On. It will all come together. I may try an evening hunt tomorrow near the roost of the big bird I was talking about. I will definitely be in the turkey woods somewhere Wednesday morning though.

Slings and Arrows

Good luck boys! I'm off to Oklahoma Friday. I have a plan...Find em, hunt em, shoot em, then take their picture.

struttin n ruttin

I got the good luck on my side right now. Had an awesome evening hunt with a buddy yesterday. We called in two hard gobbling 2 year olds right before they went to roost. Put on an awesome show. I filmed and he rolled the biggest bird at 7:45 in the evening!

I killed a 5, maybe a 6 point bird this morning. Put on an awesome show for me. strutting and gobbling 25 yards away from me! Gotta love it!

Offroadtek

Great to hear. I'm hitting the WMA every morning before work this week. Heard two going this morning. Seems they are getting more vocal around these parts.

Slings and Arrows

Struttin, we could use a 6 point bird if your photos are good. keep up the luck. Sounds like your having a fantastic season.

lock on

Boys y'all are rolling some birds. Be in Kentucky this weekend and something should die for sure. I hope anyways because it's killing me.