Team #38

Ricochet

Not going to be able to go back this thursday like I was thinking so I went ahead and posted both birds, So we are on the board. Good luck in Nebraska this weekend Ricochet, maybe you can add to it when you get back.

Coolness...I'm glad we are finally on the score board! :cool:

Thanks...I hope the weather & birds are good to me in Nebraska! ::;

mcallum3

got a good one today

I was able to work it out to go back today afterall and am so glad I did, but its bittersweet, got my third bird today so I am thru (for georgia anyway), still going to give N.C. one more try. I will try to post pics tomarrow. Looks like about a 10 inch beard and about 1 1/4 spurs. so it will be a good one for our team.

Ricochet

I was able to work it out to go back today afterall and am so glad I did, but its bittersweet, got my third bird today so I am thru (for georgia anyway), still going to give N.C. one more try. I will try to post pics tomarrow. Looks like about a 10 inch beard and about 1 1/4 spurs. so it will be a good one for our team.

Awesome...congrats! No luck in Nebraska yet (rain, cold and very windy), but tomorrow should be much better. ::;

Good luck in NC!

mcallum3

still hunting?

Ricochet, How did the Nebraska hunt finish out? I am heading to N.C. this weekend and will be tied up until then but come next week I am open to going out with either one of you two if ya'll would like some company, Maybe between the two of us working a bird we might be able to make something happen. This would be an after work kind of thing for me, but can be down around Putnam co.(for you tattooed archer) around 5:00 or up to Hall co. (for you ricochet) at around 5:00. Ya'll let me know if ya'll want to do something. Its no fun being tagged out and am dieing to go back out.

Ricochet

<st1:state w:st="on"><st1>Nebraska</st1> </st1:state>was tough the first 2 days. Friday AM was sounding good with gobbling at sunrise, but then the storm rolled in about 1 hour later. Then Saturday was worse with very windy conditions, so I couldn’t hear anything. The terrain there is much different than here with little cover and it took me too much time to figure it all out. The turkeys would fly down in old corn/soybean fields and soon after head for the deep creek bottoms & disappear & not gobble. I would find hens all over the place probably near their nests along the creek trees. However, I only saw 1 Tom cruising through a field with 3 hens the evening (Thursday) we arrived (outside of first thing in the morning).
<o></o>
Sunday was looking good because the weather was going to be much better and it was…we heard gobbling in multiple directions and setup near what I figured was 4-5 gobblers on the roost. We talked to a local that said they roosted in the trees in this wooded area and sure enough that is where they were. I then figured they would fly down across the road into a big field (sure enough, that’s what they did). So, we setup at a point on the edge on this field…my grandpa setup looking down the left side of the field, and I was on the right side. They flew down on my side (the trees ended there) but only 1 hen came within shotgun range. 4 Toms and 8-10 hens went further right and over a small hill out of range! I crawled to the crest of the hill and called and Toms would gobble every time, but they were not leaving the hens. So, we got a gobbling show and I saw the whole crew cruise away and we later could not get around on them…they just disappeared back into the wooded area.
<o></o>
So, we were set to head back home Monday AM and I decided I had to go back for the 6AM fly down and setup B-Mobile and got into a ditch on the right hand side of the hill where they went the day before. I figured the 4 Toms would fly down again and at least see B-Mobile and kick his butt. Nope! The boss Tom was the only 1 to fly down with all the hens and he briefly looked at B-Mobile as he flew down just 10 feet behind the decoy and disappeared to the left over the hill. I might have been able to get off a split second shot when he was about to land but I thought he would at least investigate B-Mobile and give me a shot on the ground. Instead they all just cruised off to the left where I was setup the day before!!! I tried to get around on them but that didn’t work and I called loud and those other 3 Toms back in the woods would answer back every time but I had to leave. I know how to hunt them there now i.e. better spots for fly down setup and/or I should have ran down into the deep creek bottoms and ambushed them from the other side of the field where they eventually went. I was disappointed to say the least, but I had some fun interaction with them and that was the 1<sup>st</sup> time I have ever had them fly down right over me. If I had 1 more day or figured this out sooner I probably would have bagged 1. I was at a huge disadvantage going in by not knowing the terrain and nobody there we talked to could give us any pointers. I had fun nonetheless…a bad day hunting beats a good day at work anytime! I did kill a raccoon and could have easily killed another coon that climbed a tree right behind my setup Saturday which scared me a little (coons all over the place) and deer all over the place. I also had a coyote cruise out into a field once and he didn’t even see B-Mobile and I yelped and it looked for a few seconds and ran back to the creek bottom…big chicken! LOL
<o></o>
It was a good trip seeing relatives and I hope I can go back to hunt because I will be in much better shape if I do. It was a big learning experience and unfortunately my luck was not with me. I will post up pics of the area later.

Oh, I plan to hunt my Skitts Mountain and Ellijay spots this weekend and hope for the best. I would welcome a chance to hunt after work next week but I'm not sure if that would be doable. Good luck in NC!

Ricochet

Well, I guess my season is over with a big goose egg! :cry:

I really wish I could have bagged at least 1 gobbler...I should've had 2 gobblers maybe 3. :banginghe Bad luck and tough lessons learned this season.

Congrats again Perry on your 3 birds! :cool: How was N.C.?

Perry, do you know of some where down your way we could go that might yield a last minute Tom tomorrow after work or maybe take a half day Thursday?

mcallum3

I sure wish you would have called me. I do have a couple of places that we could have tried, (or still can), but I just got your post. Call me tomorrow as soon as you get this. I will take my stuff to work with me in the morning just in case you still want to try. I have a place in madison co. that was loaded last year and didn't hardly get hunted this year at all, and I think the one I called in on opening morn. on public land is still there. (oconee N.F.) so whichever one you want to try. If I dont hear from you by 9:00 A.M. I will be calling you.

Ricochet

Thanks again Perry for helping me out on Thursday...it was good hunt & got home just in time! Please let me know about any of those places/leases you know about. We will definitely have to do some hunting again next season. BTW, I'll drive and pay for the gas down to Florida (seriously)! ;)

mcallum3

I hate that it didn't work out for the bird we were on thursday but he will be there next year and even bigger and as far as I am concerned he was supposed to be your bird, so come next year, The first couple of hunts on that property will be yours ( if you want them) and I'll do everything I can to help you get him. Now after those two hunts are over, if it still hadn't happened, I'll have to start thinking about getting in the game then. Now keep in mind on opening day I'll be on some public land somewhere and your welcome to come along on that one also. I am going to go ahead and start trying to make some contacts on the piece of property that I showed you on the way over their and that way maybe I can have something worked out come opening day next year. I'll also make a phone call about the florida thing, who knows we might be able to do something there also. It will be sweet If we could get all of these plans to work out, the only thing that would make it sweeter was that we ended up on the same team again.

I signed up for the challenge this year not for the prizes but hopefully to get paired up with someone that likes to turkey hunt as much as I do and even though you didn't tag a bird this year you worked your butt off trying to, and as far as I am concerned you held up your end of the challenge for me. Thanks.

By the way have you ever thought about a "Slam":bounce:

Ricochet

Coolness...thanks for the offer on letting me get the 1st couple tries on him next season! That deal, public land opening day, the other places/leases and Florida all sound great to me! I hope we are on the same team again next year as well...thanks again! :)

Oh, I will get my "Slam" some day. :cool: