Team #38

mcallum3

scouted yesterday

Went and scouted the public land spot yesterday with pretty good results. Actually watched 7 for about 45 mins. hoping they would roost. Couldn't tell the makes and models because of the brush, but got to see them anyhow. It was about 8:00 to 8:10 when I decided to start back to the truck and they never did roost, but they were headed towards some big pines and I was pretty sure thats where they were going to roost. They have been cutting down alot of pines that looks to have been infested with pine beetles, and looks like the sowed the skidder roads for food plots, The road in the pic is about 200 yds long then theres another one thats about 1/2 mile long, lots of fresh signs around the wet areas in the new green growth. Going back friday and hopefully find them again, If I do i'll stay untill I hear them snoring.

Attachments

• droppings.jpg
    droppings.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 181
  • public food plot.jpg
    public food plot.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 181
  • turkey tracks.jpg
    turkey tracks.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 182
  • turkey tracks2.jpg
    turkey tracks2.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 178

Ricochet

Well, no dice today...I heard a hen yelping at fly down and later saw her on a hill while I was setup & then she flew high God knows where. Then I finally heard a gobbler at 11AM or so, but he shut up after that. :huh: Not much action in Gilmer Co. today! :( Those mountain birds are slow to warm up I guess. I hope y'all had a better day.

I did see a real nice Tom while driving some mountain development roads...he had a 10 inch beard. :hair:

Then I saw a flock and a strutter on the way home...see pics for more. :)

Attachments

• 032208 002.jpg
    032208 002.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 165
  • 032208 005.jpg
    032208 005.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 163
  • 032208 006.jpg
    032208 006.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

tattooed archer

Sorry team , Had an awesome morning had 3 jakes come running about 30 min. after day break they came in on my left I most have startled them cause they bolt out of there real quik. so hit the ole slate a few times and a lone tom started to gobble his head off he gobble about 20 times and went quiet so I knew he was coming and he did came running in stopped straight into strut at 45 yards watch him for a good 5 min. when another hunter started calling so had no choice but to take the shot before the other hunter messes this up so I shot the bird hit the ground jumps up and runs off so I shoot again a definate miss on 2nd shot I looked every where for the bird never found him.:banginghe:love::huh:

mcallum3

Roosted 6 hens friday night but never saw a tom, decided to try a different spot this morning but still trying to stay close to the roosting tree, ended up being about 250 yds from the tree. Heard someone doing an owl call several times about 1/2 mile away then the last time he must of got a double lung full because he wailed on that thing and a tom gobbled over at the roost tree, by this time I was already setup (with a hen decoy) and knew that I couldn't get any closer with out getting busted, so I started doing some soft clucks, after about 30 min I saw the first hen, she ran straight towards the decoy, at about 30 yards she kind of skirted around the decoy and kept going untill she was out of sight, all the while the other hens were making the way towards the decoy. As all this is going on I am looking for a tom and don't see him anywhere. Then I hear a spit and drum to my right. There's a pine tree about about as big as a 5 gallon bucket about 15 yards away with a tom standing directly behind the tree. All I can see is each side of his fan and of course I am setup facing the wrong direction. I repositioned while he was still behind the tree. A hen saw me move and took off running, then broke into flight as she went past him but he stayed in full strut. When he stepped out I took a look at his beard then pulled the trigger only to watch him fly away. A clean miss. He didn't fly but about 50 yards and dropped down beside a hen and walked off. Didn't seem to be too spooked. I called up 3 two year olds last year and shot the one in the front. All 3 looked to be the same size the one I got had about a 10" beard and 1" spurs. I believe this is one the 2 from last year. He was a big bird. Oh well, we still have plenty of time.

Ricochet

Dang, at least y'all got a shot on a Tom. I plan to do some afternoon hunting tomorrow, but I'm not expecting much from it. This private spot only has a little turkey activity.

tattooed archer

sorry but missed another one sat. morning 50 yards from where i killed the one in my avatar. that should be 2 dead birds by now. I'm about to go to bass pro and get some mounts for my red dot scope.

Arrow3

sorry but missed another one sat. morning 50 yards from where i killed the one in my avatar. that should be 2 dead birds by now. I'm about to go to bass pro and get some mounts for my red dot scope.

missed another one?? ::ke:

tattooed archer

missed another one?? ::ke:

yep , I think I'd do better with a sling shot , This is really making me frustrated . The thing is after I missed I went to another spot for about 30 min. then came back to the honey hole opened the door to my truck and they were back gobbling again called a hen in to about 10 steps of me she stayed there for about 15 min. the 2 birds gobbling went some where else.:banginghe:banginghe:cry:

mcallum3

I ended up putting a red dot scope on my winchester 1300. I think I must have done something to my barrel. I have had it for several years and it has always shot great... this year the pattern is still nice and tight, but a foot and a half low and a foot left:hair: This gun was not set up for a scope so I had to drill and tap it myself. I ended up using a weaver-type base for a ruger 10/22 after cutting it down. Turned out nice. This is what I was using on opening day down on the public land when I missed one. I dont know when, but at some point I had left the scope turned on and did not know it untill I went to turn it on with turkeys in view, and found out the battery was dead, so just tried to guess. Learned a good lesson that morning, Guessing's not good.
BIL came down from NC and wanted to go out and watch Sat. morning while I tried to get a turkey. The spot is only about 80 acres w/a 300 acre club next to it. Heard 4 or 5 gobbling on the club next door & started trying to call them over to where we were. At one point sounded like 2 were headed our way, then 2 shots rang out from over at the club. A few seconds later 2 more shots rang out from the club at a different spot. Never saw anything other than 1 hen but heard more gobbling at one time that I've ever heard in my life. Gonna keep trying.

Ricochet

I have a Bushnell red dot on my 870 and it was not drilled and tapped for a mount, so I got a B-Square Weaver mount for it. It works great!

We have had our share of bad luck so far. If we hang in there I'm sure it will turn around for us.

mcallum3

going out thursday (after work), Then going to the club in linclon co fri (A/W), Hopefully to try to roost something for sat a.m. My N.C. plans have changed for the better, Was going to leave fri (a/w) then 1st hunt would be sat am. went ahead and took fri off so will be going thursday instead:banana::banana: get an extra day. Starting to plan trip to marion co. club thats where the biguns live, but biguns mean smartuns too. Just have to wait and see. I hope the one on public land is still their. Either one of you two want to try to go get him? I think it would be better to try him some morning instead of evening, but whatever will work for yall.

Ricochet

I'm open to going after that public land bird.

mcallum3

Big fat zero

Just got in from my North Carolina hunt and had no luck at all. Just before the season started they were seeing turkeys everywhere, after the season started the large flocks vanished. I was able to see 1 hen fri. at noon then 1 hen fri. evening and that was it. Didn't see or hear anything sat (can't hunt on sun.). My 15 y/o nephew went with me sat. a.m. for his first ever turkey hunt and he did great at all the things you are worried about when taking a newbie hunting. We went into town and got a bite to eat and all thru lunch all he kept saying was "I want to shoot a turkey so bad". After lunch my uncle went back out with us, so I went to one spot by myself and they went to another where there was a blind set up. They had a jake and a 2 y/o with about a 8" beard come to within 40yds then turned to start away. My nephew had to wait for him to raise his head to shoot and managed to knock him down but he was able to walk off. After it was all said and done he did tell me that he thougt he might of flinched :banginghe at the shot. My uncle said that he got pretty excited while they were comeing in but did a good job of calming himself just before the shot. I am obviously disappointed not being able to take one myself but considering how everything worked out for my nephew it was a great weekend and Aaron if you are reading this, I am real proud of you boy, and if you keep at it its gonna happen (as long as you don't let your dad take his mouth call with him :rofl:). You have hunted only one morning one afternoon and was able to take a shot at a mature bird. Not many people have that kind of success so soon.

(And by the way, you got exactly what you a asked for... "to shoot a turkey" ...next time try "I want to KILL a turkey so bad":bounce: )

Ricochet

Dang that sucks! I hope we get a bird on the board soon. :banginghe

My Nebraska trip sounds promising i.e. 2-3 good spots to hunt from what I hear. Also, I plan to hit that North Hall spot we talked about again Saturday and Sunday. ::;

mcallum3

pic of nephew

I thought I would put up a picture that I took of my nephew on his very first turkey hunt. I took it with my cell phone so it's not the best quality. I really enjoyed sitting in the woods with him that morning and am so glad I thought to take the pic. He had to borrow some of my extra camo and I thought he looked good. At one point we had to change our setup. I found a good looking tree and told him to go setup at that tree while I eased out into the field to put out the decoy. When I turned around to go back to the tree I couldn't find him. I started thinking he went to the wrong tree but as I got closer I realized he was where he was supposed to be, but just blended in real good.
aarons first turkey hunt.jpg

I am heading to marion co. this weekend to try our club there for the first time. Hope we can get on the board soon.

mcallum3

finally

Had a good weekend in marion co. or more specifically I had a good sunday morning. I was able to take two birds at about 11:50 am. No monsters but at least we have something to put us on the board. I will post pics tomorrow.

Ricochet

Had a good weekend in marion co. or more specifically I had a good sunday morning. I was able to take two birds at about 11:50 am. No monsters but at least we have something to put us on the board. I will post pics tomorrow.

Sweet...congrats! No luck again for me this weekend, but I'm off to Nebraska Wednesday and I hope my luck will finally turn around.

mcallum3

got em posted

Not going to be able to go back this thursday like I was thinking so I went ahead and posted both birds, So we are on the board. Good luck in Nebraska this weekend Ricochet, maybe you can add to it when you get back.

Latest posts