Team #5 "SPUR COLLECTORS"

rmcatcher

I'm still stuck not being able to get back in the woods. I'm thinking about hitting McGraw ford in the morning. I had seen a good bit of sign there before opening weekend but I have not been back to check on them since. I moved into my new house this weekend so now everything should slow down for me. I'll me y'all know what happens tomorow.

sman

Still in disney, @ mgm now. Just glad we reached 3 pages, takes a while to scroll on a bb. Did u know they have beer @ disney?

MossyOak

AFternoon update

Well I wasnt planning on going out this afternoon, I was taking a nap on the sofa :yawn:
I looked out the bedroom window watching my wife brush down our filly and decided to scope out the pasture, sure enough one loney Tom, hummmmmm should i??
Yeah what the heck...
Threw on my dirty clothes from this mornings hunt and scrambled to cut the Tom off..
As I was sneaking thru the woods to reach the far back pasture on my propery expecting to see him, 2 jakes, 4 toms started to run down the fence line towards the single tom..:banginghe

Great, ... So I setup back on the edge from the pasture and watched a jake scratch thru the leaves while my bull was snorting at the niebors bull to my right..

Walked down the pasture and back up easing towards where I saw the lonely Tom and sure enough instead oof one there were 2 toms..

I setup in the thick briar patch like an old wabbit..

Purred some and waited for them to come too me..
After about 30 minutes I snuck around and peeped with the binos and Poof ! they disappeared..

No way they saw me, I got scratches to prove I was so camo'd up in briars..

As I peeped to the left and just as I figured, the niebors dog was in the pasture running around with no care in the world..

It was getting dark on me so I walked back home..Empty handed again...

But, its good to know the birds are back on my property and the hens are not with them.. :cheers:

Its always been an afternoon hunt here so I will wait till the afternoon to see if I cant fetch up one of my birds giving me a visit.

Big Country

Holy smokes! :hair: Check out the spurs TenPtr entered in the longest spur thread. Thats what Im looking for right there. I would have him mounted gobbling on a limb. Congrats TenPtr! :cool:

rmcatcher

Yea those r some serious hooks. So we've got a total of 3 birds now right? Nice job on the wma birds big country. Look for me to be late bloomer in this competition. It will be awhile before I get some off time to be able to go back south and hunt on my property. In the mean time I'll see what I can stir up around here.

duckman31822

im off in the morn so ill put my bibs on and go give them a try. its gonna be COLD!! saw a longbeard in a field this morn bout 30 min after daylight. thats where ill be in the morn waiting on him!! guys i promise i can kill some turkeys. ill put up some points sooner or later:shoot:

sman

I am right there with you duck, I have limited out every year for at least the last 10. So far this year I have only heard one bird since opening day and he was in a different zip code. This is rough I live and breathe for turkey season. I got another offer to guide again the other day and turned them down just so I can get some "me" time. The birds just aren't on my land this year. I don't understand, I hunt land that touchs 6000 acres of unhunted land and there aren't turkeys on the other side either. I have redone my travel schedule for the next week or two so I can get to some wma hunts. The local wma is under water, so I got to hit the road. Good luck.

MossyOak

Howdy guys

Been waiting for the high winds and cold front to move out, I watched my property the past 2 days and no birds were out from what I could tell. tomorrow should be warm enough and no winds means birds should be out and about.
I'm hoping to put some points on the board tomorrow for the team..I take my hat off to the other teams where they have dropped birds in this brutal weather..
I've been so close several times, but close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades :bounce:
I'm good for 3 birds before the season is up..
So bare with me. :shoot:

MossyOak

Tally for today

Jeff Raines went hunting with me today, this is our tally of critters seen..
4 Hens
1 Rat Snake
1 rat ( scurring away from rat snake )
2 Rabbits
1 Doe

ZERO - TOMS
:banginghe

sman

Race on Mossy!!!! I spent the night in Albany just so I can hunt Chickasawhatchee before an 11:30 meeting in Moultrie. Thursday night I will be in Milledgeville so I can hunt Cedar Creek Friday morning before a meeting in Culloden. I know Cedar Creek like the back of my hand, I have only set foot on Chickaw one time and that was about 10 years ago. Game on, lets see who scores first !!!!

If either of us scores at all.::ke:

duckman31822

good luck fellas... im in the motel in birmingham waitin on a train. should get to hunt fri morn if everything works out. hunted last 5 out of 7 days so it feels wierd not having to get up in a lil while... hope to get one with this warm spell and no rain this weekend!! just got permission on some new property that i saw a good bird struttin in last friday. hasnt been hunted in 5 years. i hope they come runnin to the call:D

MossyOak

Game on...

Race on Mossy!!!! I spent the night in Albany just so I can hunt Chickasawhatchee before an 11:30 meeting in Moultrie. Thursday night I will be in Milledgeville so I can hunt Cedar Creek Friday morning before a meeting in Culloden. I know Cedar Creek like the back of my hand, I have only set foot on Chickaw one time and that was about 10 years ago. Game on, lets see who scores first !!!!

If either of us scores at all.::ke:

This is killin me, dang dry spell has to end sometime, Ya gotta give us all an " A " for effort ::ke:
Meeting at 9am today, but after that this afternoon back in the woods..
Yesterday morning I hunted here at my hse, then went to Alabama to hunt, then back to my hse..Arrgggg only seeing hens...
I have this afternoon and all week-end to myself, wifey is going out of town till sunday evening..:banana:
Here Turkey Turkey :shoot:

sman

I think you should be allowed to pepper idots on a wma. I blindly stop at a gate at 6:30 this morning and walk about 500 yards down a road. Gobbling time one hollars back towards my car. Bird is roosted 150 yards from the hood of my car on a wma. I set up on him from the back side and use the road as a buffer to keep him in play. There is a swamp flooded to my right and the road behind the bird, he is trapped!! So I thought, within 30 minutes I had 2 other hunters set up on this bird. I see him at full strut 90 yards out and heading toward me. Then he tucks and runs, I can only assume he spotted one of the other guys. He didn't say a word for another hour. Then he gobbles 2 times when I cut to him. All this does is bring hunters from every where on the wma. I finally stood up when I saw two hunters walk past me. they could see my car from where they were. why do people not have respect for others on wma's? finally left and walked to the car, there was a road behind my car, walked down it and the gobbler was standing in the middle of it. He took off, slipped right by everybody. Going back to him this afternoon.

MossyOak

Exactly why I dont hunt WMA's

I know some fellas would disagree with me, but too many times you get setup, do your homework and spend the time convincing the bird to come to you and Poof, all that wasted because someone else either doesnt respect you or they dont know the difference of a real Turkey sound to a hunter, so they bust it for every-1...

Hope you go gettum and can somehow avoid the other hunters..

I'm outta here, gotta go get in the woods..

Big Country

Went with a guy on the forum this morn. Finally got on a hot bird about 8,but he ended up coming in our right. I had to lower my gun will he tried to get in position. Well that didnt work to good, never saw him again. Probably could have tagged out with another public bird, but wanted him to get a shot. Sittin here trying decide if I want to go back out.

sman

Go, you will miss it when the season is gone.

I m 57 miles from where I was this morning, headed there for afternoon. Changed meetings so I can be there in the morning as well.

MossyOak

When the sirens go off, Run FOREST Run !!

Ok,

Setup this afternoon around 4pm, knew it was windy but I watched a hen in my back pasture when I got home and decided if she's out in this wind, surely Mr Tom is..
So I setup my ground blind and Miss Hen had worked her way to the far left back pasture, I watched her for afew minutes and decided I had better get the blind setup inbetween some oak trees on the edge of the woods..
430pm rolls around and its getting real black, really windy..
I am setup, no way am I leaving..
Yesterday After watching 2 Toms and a hen strut around about 30 yards from where I was setup, I decided to hunker down..Nope I'm staying put, no wind and dark clouds gonna scare me away..
5pm rolls around, a lonely hen walks about 20 feet from me, no sound coming from her at all, she was staggering from the wind blowing so hard.. I did acouple of yelps and the old hen squawted down right infront of me and my hen decoy, heck I thought she was going to start laying eggs.

She finally got up and walked off but in a strange kind of hurried way as if she was running from something..
530 rolled around and it started to rain, the wind even got stronger and from a distant I saw lightening..
Nah, I'm staying, those Toms should be around soon..

About 630 the sky cleared up to blue skies, but to my right it was still real dark...
655 came and the sky filled up with really dark clouds, when I say wind, I mean gale force winds.......
I thought my blind was going to start flying like a kite, if I wasnt holding it down it would have I know..
Then I saw lightening again, this time about amile away.
But it kepted getting closer and closer..
Here I am, underneath trees, holding a shotgun ( me thinking, great, man gets killed when shotgun blows up after getting struck by lightening... :hair:
Man oh Man, after that last strike that seemed to raise the hairs on my neck, I crawled under the fence and ran as fast as I could to my truck, the moment I get inside the truck, lightening cracked all around...
Geesh ! Buttocks was cinched up water tight...
So I head towards town to get some dinner, saw that I missed a call, cause you know we turn our cell phones on vibrate when we're hunting right..?
Well, my buddy called to tell me at 630 that I better be out of the woods cause tornado's have gone thru Rome and one had been spotted in cave springs and coming my way ( cedartown )
About that time the bottom dropped out, more crazy lightening and big chunks of hail started to come down, I made a left ,right then, into the car wash to get out of the projectiles and it seemed everyone else had the same idea and we all filled up the car wash bays..

Well, lets just say, when your out in the woods and you hear toranado sirens go off and it gets real dark and yellowey, you better listen to that little voice coming out of your buttocks and Run Forest Run !! :hair:

I hope my blind is still standing, it will probally be up in a tree somewhere...

Oh well, made it home alive, tomorrow morning I'll be there again..

Annyone else have any better luck than me today?

Mossy