Team #81

Arrow3

This is a thread for teammates to communicate with each other and "talk smack" :bounce:if needed. After teams are drawn on March 11th, all team members are required to make at least one post on this thread with a picture uploaded from a camera...Doesn't matter what you take a pic of as long as it adheres to the forum rules and is in good taste....Good luck in the contest. I will open the thread up for posting as soon as the teams are known...You will have till 11:59pm on March 17th to post a picture on this thread or you will be replaced in the contest...Period!

trailhunter

Picture posted.

DSC_0044resizednov2007.jpg

Thunderbeard

I'm Here, Pic will be posted by lunch today.
Here is one from last year, The date and time is wrong, however
I will make sure I have my ducks in a row for The challenge.

Thanks
TB

Attachments

• Shane Turkey 33 (600 x 450).jpg
    Shane Turkey 33 (600 x 450).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

trailhunter

I know its still a little early, but I think it would be a good idea to let each of us decide on our own whether or not to submit the first bird we each kill unless it is a jake (which I don't plan on shooting). Or at least do this through the first week of season. That way there will be no problems for any of the opening weekend prizes or multiple beard prizes. After a person has one bird, we could then decide whether or not to enter the person's next bird. Once we hit 6, its not going to matter if the 7th or 8th bird is the biggest in the contest, you still won't get to enter it. Honestly, I don't think it would even be worth it this year to submit a jake with the number of teams out there.

I'm open for any suggestions though if yall want to do something different. Shoot me a PM if yall want to talk more about it or anything else.

trailhunter

Saw birds on 3 seperate farms this morning. 2 Gobblers on one strutting and gobbling, 4 on another farm, and a Gobbler and hen in another field.

Last edited:

trailhunter

Just in from the woods, had one sound off at first light from about 60 yards away. Moved to another tract and watched a Gobbler and a hen in an adjacent field about 300 yards out.

Golden BB

Well I've had to work 7 days straight with no chance to get out to the woods but I know they are in their same spot as always. Good luck fellas.

Thunderbeard

Ok, Fellas, Its on. I have located the birds and its just a matter of time.

trailhunter

Sounds good. I just had a report from the farm on 2 big gobblers fighting and crossing into one of the areas I'm going to be this weekend. Any thoughts on a team name?

trailhunter

Missed a monster this morning at 40 yards. Came out in a pair, the smaller bird had at least a 10 inch beard, this looked to be 12 or more. I had birds all over me, saw 6 gobblers, 4 henned up bad.

Golden BB

Set up on four gobblers, henned up REALLY bad right now but they were hot !!!! Be back in the morning. Good luck guys.

trailhunter

2 birds down

I've got 2 birds down guys. The first is double bearded with the longest beard around 10 3/4 (second beard around 7 inches) and somewhere around 1 1/4 spurs (weighed 23 pounds). The second bird has an 11 inch beard and around 1 1/8 spurs (weighed 18 pounds). I called both in on one of my boxes, mahogany sided/ black walnut paddle.

I had 5 gobblers around me this morning, and 3 sets of hens in the field. I called in a big beard from across a field off of a hen and he came within 45 yards drumming. About that time I heard drumming in the woods to my right and the group of 3 gobblers that I first heard this morning and which were henned up came through the woods to my right at about 20 yards. The dominant bird chased the single off and strutted to within 20 yards again. I shot him and then one of the other two birds came back after a minute or two jumped on him several times then started strutting. I took him after that. There was one other gobbler with that group and another bird off at about 50 yards when I called it a day.

One of the most exciting mornings i've had in a while. I'll put pictures up later and post both birds on the kill thread if thats Ok with yall.

OK, heres one picture of both birds:
DSC01998.jpg

Last edited:

trailhunter

Finally got the tape measure on the birds and photos up in the kill thread. My rough estimates were dead on:

Bird 1: 23.25
Bird 2: 22.25

That gives us a total of 45.50 so far.

1st Bird: Double Bearded

Longest Beard: 10 6/8 - 10.75 = 10.75
Longest Spur: 1 2/8 - 1.25 x 10 = 12.50

Total = 23.25

(just for the record, the 2nd beard was 7 inches

2nd Bird: Single Beard

Beard: 11.00 - 11.00 = 11.00
Longest Spur: 1 1/8 - 1.125 = 11.25

Total = 22.25