Team #81

Thunderbeard

Thats outstanding. I had three jakes on me sunday, so no luck yet. I will produce. Trailhunter, way to get us on the board. You Da Man

trailhunter

Looks like I was next in line for the Opening weekend prize, with only PLC's bird higher. Yall going any this week? I probably won't get out again until the weekend, and then I'm looking for one of the big boys again.

trailhunter

Had five gobbling this morning and 2 hens cuttin me (heard and/or saw 3 hens total). I think I walked 2 miles though trying to get to them to set up at daylight. Had a strutter within 30 yards in a field and passed on him, couldn't see a beard or he had beard rot one and looked to be a 2 year old. A larger bird was behind him that I probably would have taken but he would not come any closer than 50 yards. They had 2 hens with them.

I moved around the woodhead I was on I called another bird which came running to me from the same direction. he got within 15 yards of me standing in 2 foot high underbrush. I passed an easy shot on him waiting for him to come into the open to get a better look at him and then he spooked and putted away when I shifted my gun. I probably should have taken him (sorry guys) as he was a big bird and had a head and neck red as could be, but I never saw his beard and to start with I was afraid he was the strutter that I had seen earlier. The rest of the birds moved off onto other property henned up.

Went by another farm and saw 3 gobblers and 2 hens standing in the field about a 100 yards from the road.

Going back in the morning, more walking . . .

Still kicking myself for not shooting that dang bird.

Thunderbeard

Hello My fellow teamers. I scored a double today. I will post the pics soon.

Thunderbeard

first bird scores 23.5 and the second is 20.5, I will post pics tomorrow. I saw a total of 15 birds 5 of them were long beards.

trailhunter

Guys,

I'm tagged out. My last bird will score less than my other two, even though he weighed 20 pounds on the nose. He had a 10 inch beard with spurs right at 1 inch which would give us a score of 20 for him. Yall let me know if you want me to enter him, we may not want to.

I had 4 strutters, two of which were henned up with a pair of hens and wouldn't come within a hundred yards of me. I pulled this one off of a field above me and called him in to about 20 yards before I shot. I used a combination of the same mahogany box call and a call I made with chinaberry sides. As big as he was, I was a bit disapointed with the score. Oh well, I guess I'm left to just calling for folks now.

jayturkey3picture.jpg

Last edited:

Thunderbeard

Here are the picture of the Two I killed yesterday.
Bird 1
10.5 Beard
1 in spur
Scored 20.5

Bird 2
9.75 Beard
1.125 Spur
Scored 21

We should be doing Ok.

Attachments

• Tim Turkey Challenge (675 x 506).jpg
    Tim Turkey Challenge (675 x 506).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

trailhunter

20 or better

Yall remember if you shoot a bird between now and Sunday that's gonna score under 20, don't enter it. We've got 4 birds entered right now over that score and I've got a fifth I'm waiting on submitting that I may or may not enter (I've got until Sunday to decide with the 7 day rule). It scores 20.

I'm hoping yall both drop one this weekend that will put my 1st 2 birds to shame and I won't even have to consider entering the third bird!

trailhunter

Called a bird in for hunting partner

Went and called for someone else this morning. Got rained on up until light, then heard 3 different birds way off for only about 10 minutes. Pulled a silent bird in from over the fence line we were set up on and it flew over to about 20 yards in front of us and my cousin shot it at about 8:00 A.M after it walked a little bit. Weighed 23 pounds, 1 1/8 spurs and 10 5/8 beard. Same Mahogany box call. Always fun to see a good bird taken, even if its not you pulling the trigger.

Thunderbeard

thats awesome, Congrat's to you and your cousin.

trailhunter

Only heard one gobble off the roost. Saw 6 gobblers and 5 hens. The Gobblers came in 3 sets of two. Had a big pair with paintbrush beards hang up at 100 yards around 7:30. The lead bird would gobble and was strutting. Hens flew down about that time and they moved off. At around 8:15 the second set came out following 5 hens with both birds strutting. They passed at about 60 to 70 yards and followed the hens into the wood line. The 3rd set came in about 8:30 following the same path, I called them to within 25 and 35 yards. Hunting partner took the strutter at 35 yards. Nice two year old bird, weighed 20 pounds with just under an inch spurs and 9 1/2 beard.

Thunderbeard

Alright, my fellow teamers, We need a goodun to finish up the challenge. I will not make it this weekend, however I wish Golden BB the force be with you. Good luck and let us know if you need help caring him out. :shoot:

trailhunter

Bumped two nice gobblers this afternoon strutting on a woodline while riding around. I'll be sleeping in tomorrow morning for the first weekend this season, I've got 3 boxes I need to finish anyway. Best of luck to yall out there!

Thunderbeard

Well, fellows whats the scoop? We need us one more. I am going tomorrow so we well see.

Golden BB

Hope ya'll are having better luck than I am. It seems the only way for me to get a turkey right now would be at the grocery store !!!!

Thunderbeard

alright fellows, lets not bring it down to the wire. I would like to wrap this up and do some fishin. LOL.

trailhunter

Yall hear anything this morning? I was supposed to take two different folks out this weekend, but both cancelled, so I didn't even hit the woods.