The adulterous woman in John 8, never ask for forgiveness.

Artfuldodger

Just an observation. Yet Jesus doesn't condemn her. Could this prove that God has mercy on whom he has mercy? He does tell her not to sin any more.
Then he says that he is the Light and if you follow him, you will never walk in darkness.

StriperAddict

Yep. Neither did the thief.

Or Rahab, or Abraham, etc.

Makes you consider grace and Life are appropriated by faith not multitudes of pleadings.

gordon 2

Is it not a statement on judgement and how God and how we make them. The lady is condemned, by the cult or the society because they have judged her. Jesus says I condemn you not and " sin no more." He refuses to judge her.

It does not mean that the lady is as the thief.

I suspect God "thinks" she has enough daylight left (time) to repent of sin. Since there was little time for the thief, "sin no more" was not in the "cards". His hope that Jesus might see his "heaven" was possible sufficient an act of love toward God to remove whatever repentance might have purged out of him.

Jesus has a thing for ladies that love much it seems to me. There must be something to it, as if all causes of adultery are not only due to lust but maybe somethings else.

StriperAddict

Yes, a false understanding of love's pure Source would take many into adultery, theft, etc. God sees the need of each of us and opens the door to the worst of sinners. The simplest heartfelt reaching to Christ is met with great life changing love.

gemcgrew

Just an observation. Yet Jesus doesn't condemn her. Could this prove that God has mercy on whom he has mercy? He does tell her not to sin any more.
Then he says that he is the Light and if you follow him, you will never walk in darkness.
Art, this is the story of every believer. None of the participants but Christ... knew at the time that this was the Lord's doing... in the all of it.

All of it.

Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

Artfuldodger

Is it not a statement on judgement and how God and how we make them. The lady is condemned, by the cult or the society because they have judged her. Jesus says I condemn you not and " sin no more." He refuses to judge her.

It does not mean that the lady is as the thief.

I suspect God "thinks" she has enough daylight left (time) to repent of sin. Since there was little time for the thief, "sin no more" was not in the "cards". His hope that Jesus might see his "heaven" was possible sufficient an act of love toward God to remove whatever repentance might have purged out of him.

Jesus has a thing for ladies that love much it seems to me. There must be something to it, as if all causes of adultery are not only due to lust but maybe somethings else.
Then he just granted her forgiveness for that one sinful act, not salvation. I wonder why Jesus followed with;
“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life?”

StriperAddict

Then he just granted her forgiveness for that one sinful act, not salvation.
Nowhere is our forgiveness parsed out like a deck of cards. Some institutional churches are all over that for the sake of shaming one into righteous submission (been there, burnt the tee-shirt), but that house comes down in it's own vanity of showy works and stones at the ready when failures abound.

It's a guess on my part but methinks that lady knew her weaknesses, yet even so there was Christ who knew her better than herself, and walked with her the rest of the way ... Him being THE WAY.

Pentecost was also comin ...

I wonder why Jesus followed with;
“I am the light of the world. Whoever follows Me will never walk in the darkness, but will have the light of life?”
Because that's His true nature imparted to us and in us.
And I'll bet when the Upper room Holy Spirit event happened she got the "goods."

That's Abba Father for ya, always giving life ... eternal, everlasting, never ending life. It was for freedom that she was set free.

gordon 2

Then he just granted her forgiveness for that one sinful act, not salvation. I wonder why Jesus followed with;

Some bibles give this verse a disconnect from the previous verses as if the account of the stoning is now finished. Jesus is not addressing the lady anymore. Now with this verse" I am the light..." he addresses the Pharisees...

It is related indirectly.... as it begs the question " Who is Jesus and why does he give mercy as in the case of the lady. What is his jurisdiction that he can dismiss the penalty for a conviction as if it had never been judged upon?

He tells them basically that they can't understand this because they are in darkness, but if they follow him, they will not be and will be able to understand what he just did.

O how arrogant and disrespectful they must of thought he was. And a good example the account is of how the law was used to kill. They were going to kill a lady to keep Israel pure, and yet they themselves were in darkness. Jesus tells them " you don't know where you come from".

"Who is he ?" they must of asked themselves and most likely the answer in some cases was " He's that agitator from Galilee."

Last edited:

LittleDrummerBoy

I try and take care not to assume that things not recorded in scripture did not occur. Many things were said and done that were not recorded. Even more silent thoughts and prayers were not recorded. Why spend much time and effort chasing ideas mostly based on arguments from absence? (Especially when they seem to imply we may not need to do something we're repeatedly TOLD to do - ask for forgiveness.)

In the account of the adulterous woman, Jesus didn't seem to promise the women heaven, but rather to provide her with more time and an opportunity to receive the repentance and forgiveness that he was making available to her (and to us all).

tell sackett

I try and take care not to assume that things not recorded in scripture did not occur. Many things were said and done that were not recorded. Even more silent thoughts and prayers were not recorded. Why spend much time and effort chasing ideas mostly based on arguments from absence? (Especially when they seem to imply we may not need to do something we're repeatedly TOLD to do - ask for forgiveness.)

In the account of the adulterous woman, Jesus didn't seem to promise the women heaven, but rather to provide her with more time and an opportunity to receive the repentance and forgiveness that he was making available to her (and to us all).
A common failing I believe amongst us "Bible scholars".

Nowhere is our forgiveness parsed out like a deck of cards. Some institutional churches are all over that for the sake of shaming one into righteous submission (been there, burnt the tee-shirt), but that house comes down in it's own vanity of showy works and stones at the ready when failures abound.

It's a guess on my part but methinks that lady knew her weaknesses, yet even so there was Christ who knew her better than herself, and walked with her the rest of the way ... Him being THE WAY.

Pentecost was also comin ...

Because that's His true nature imparted to us and in us.
And I'll bet when the Upper room Holy Spirit event happened she got the "goods."

That's Abba Father for ya, always giving life ... eternal, everlasting, never ending life. It was for freedom that she was set free.

Why did she not sneak away with her accusers when she had opportunity?

Israel

BANNED
I'll take Jesus for 400 Alex.

And the answer is "Go and sin no more"

(remember, your response must be in the form of a question!)

What is: "Who upholds all things by the word of His power?"

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
OK, I'll take Jesus for 600, Alex.

And the answer is: "Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers."

(Remember, your response...)

What is "Who upholds all things by the word of His power?"

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
You seem to be on a roll, Dexter...

"I'll take Jesus for 800, Alex"

And the answer is "All ye shall be offended because of me this night"
(Remember your...)

What is "Who upholds all things by the word of His power?"

Last edited:

Israel

BANNED
Dexter, there's only one answer left in that category...will you...?

Yes Alex, please...Jesus for a 1000

And the answer is "The funniest thing disciples ever said and agree upon as being the most absurdly ridiculous"
(Remember...)

What is "Lord, don't you care that we perish?"

Can a man believe...

Israel

BANNED
For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Just as God providentially accomplishes the growing of seed to seedling to stalk to fruiting, even so His word (Who spoke to the woman saved from stoning...was it "just a man"?) must bear the fruit of the word spoken to it.

it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

All creation is in subjection to His word.

There is a therefore that precedes the command/ instruction to go and preach the gospel and its accomplishment is wholly reliant upon what precedes that "therefore".

gemcgrew

The very act of her adultery was God's doing in bringing her to the Savior. The very acts of the self righteous, wicked Scribes and Pharisees was God's doing in delivering her there.

This woman had all of His attention. He silenced the claims of the law against her.

When Jesus had lifted up Himself(praise God!), He saw none but the woman.

None but the woman. This is why He was there.

1gr8buildit

The concept of the messiah, or "the one to come" or Son of God, was not of one that you ask forgiveness from. That would be a modern day insertion

Artfuldodger

Didn't you just assume what is not written to mean that rather than promise her Heave, he gave her more time to repent and to receive Christ's forgiveness?
You pretty much made yourself guilty of making the same assumption that I made.
What about Paul, he was not seeking God either? Do we make the same assumption that God gave Paul "time" to repent and receive God's call?

Artfuldodger

Under God's law at the time, Jesus did not condemn her, what was her sentence suppose to be? I think death. Jesus did no condemn her but he had not yet died on the Cross to take the place for her sin.
Based upon the Law of God, this woman had committed a sin that required the death sentence.

And I am speculating but it seems more than just Jesus forgiving that woman of just that one sin. He does die a few days later. The woman did not die for her sin. Death was her sentence.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Death was his Father's Law for that woman. Yet Jesus did not condemn her and then right after he said he didn't, he emphasized that he was indeed the light. The Law would have been her darkness.