The adulterous woman in John 8, never ask for forgiveness.

StriperAddict

Why did she not sneak away with her accusers when she had opportunity?
The attention of Christ in love toward her. See post 17.

Can't we all say we were at rock bottom when the gospel makes the most sense?
Me for certain.
But God ...

Artfuldodger

Woman taken in Adultery

John 8:3-11
This statement caused early Christians to avoid reading this story in public when lessons were read from the gospel. It was not in any list of scriptures to be read in churches, and as it was probably marked in the MSS as a portion not to be read in public, it came after some time, to be left out of some copies of Scriptures, though in the greater number it still remains as an original part of this gospel. Early Christians thought Jesus was not condemning adultery here, but the idea is that he was not a magistrate and since no man of her accusers stayed to condemn, He was not going to pass sentence on the woman taking it upon Himself to execute the law of Moses. He had to avoid the Jews accusing Him of taking magisterial authority in His own hands. Then too, Christ came to save men, not to destroy them so forgiveness of her sin was as much His obligation then as it still is when anyone repents and turns from sin (Matt. 12:31, 32; 1 Jn. 1:9). Jesus did not say He did not condemn adultery as a sin. He simple forgave the woman, as He had done others who were sinful (Matt. 9:1-8; Lk. 7:37-50). He frankly told her to sin no more, proving he did condemn adultery as sin. He did so elsewhere (Matt. 5:27-32; 19:9, 18, 19).
Was it not taught or added later?

Artfuldodger

The concept of the messiah, or "the one to come" or Son of God, was not of one that you ask forgiveness from. That would be a modern day insertion
Do you feel all the passages where Jesus verbally forgave sin was added? I thought maybe God gave him that authority. Yet he had not died on the Cross. Perhaps Jesus being the Light was the way even before his death.
Luke 7:48
Matthew 9:2

Last edited:

1gr8buildit

Do you feel all the passage where Jesus verbally forgave sin was added? I thought maybe God gave him that authority. Yet he had not died on the Cross. Perhaps Jesus being the Light was the way even before his death.
Luke 7:48
Matthew 9:2
I don't believe Jesus forgave their sins. I believe God forgave them because they believed Jesus was the son of God. Thus Jesus merely stated a fact. The firstborn son was offered up so that the remainder of the family did not have to. This is the essence of Son of God. Firstborn among many brothers

brutally honest

I don't believe Jesus forgave their sins. I believe God forgave them because they believed Jesus was the son of God. Thus Jesus merely stated a fact. The firstborn son was offered up so that the remainder of the family did not have to. This is the essence of Son of God. Firstborn among many brothers

“But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.”

Matthew 9:6

Israel

BANNED
Under God's law at the time, Jesus did not condemn her, what was her sentence suppose to be? I think death. Jesus did no condemn her but he had not yet died on the Cross to take the place for her sin.
Based upon the Law of God, this woman had committed a sin that required the death sentence.

And I am speculating but it seems more than just Jesus forgiving that woman of just that one sin. He does die a few days later. The woman did not die for her sin. Death was her sentence.
That's a good observation. At least to the point of forcing us to consider certain things.

What does it mean to say "The lamb slain from the foundation of the world"? (Manifest in these last days for us)

How could Jesus say...or what was going on long before any material item of wood was laid over Him with orders to carry it up the hill by some Romans "If any man would come after me, let him take up his cross and follow..."

Or:

"For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:"

If there's no "wait...what are you talking about" engendered there, born there...(disciples are relentlessly engaged in that ultimate question of all Jesus says and does...) then only assumptions and presumptions reign.

Things satisfied with copies.

What is the meaning of Jesus Christ?

Jesus, how can you?

How do you?

What do you..mean?

There's no life in having, or being carried away to dumb idols. Jesus Christ is neither, idol nor dumb. Any doubt He speaks is being exposed to shame. All question of who He is is being answered both in and outside the assembly.

Everything is being forced, powered, pressed...to tell on itself. Give up...its nature.

Be revealed. Exposed in light, by light.

What "saves" a man? Can it be? Is it?

Even possible?

When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved?

But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

There's a full entrance ministered into all the impossible in order that the ministry of the possible be revealed of, and by grace.

Mercy is ministered new every morning...to even fools.

Yesterday, being clever I thought I knew what the most absurdly ridiculous thing disciples might say was.

Today, I find a tie with it.

"God wouldn't do that!"

Last edited:

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Few observations;

1. Jesus did not come to condemn so why would he condemn her?

2. After the crucifixion, repentance and baptism was to be preached in His name beginning in Jerusalem. Her repentance prior to that may not be repentance as we know it.

3. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.

I’m confident that there was more said / asked by Jesus than what was recorded but the importance of the passage is the revelation of Jesus, mercy, compassion and conviction rather than condemnation and judgment.

gordon 2

Few observations;

1. Jesus did not come to condemn so why would he condemn her?

2. After the crucifixion, repentance and baptism was to be preached in His name beginning in Jerusalem. Her repentance prior to that may not be repentance as we know it.

3. And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.

I’m confident that there was more said / asked by Jesus than what was recorded but the importance of the passage is the revelation of Jesus, mercy, compassion and conviction rather than condemnation and judgment.

How dare you to assume there is more to it than is written? :D:D