The Great Fish Batter Debate - Cornmeal vs. Flour

Wifeshusband

When us boys were teen-agers we went fishing and camping for a couple of days at Kings Pond on Ft. Benning. We took along some skillets and a few other cooking items to fry the fish we knew we'd catch. Being somewhat naive, we forgot a couple of essentials. We caught plenty of fish and walked into a man's camp to show off our stringer. "How you gonna cook 'em?" he asked. "Fry 'em up," we replied. "Cornmeal, flour, oil?" he asked. We had no response. Like Brian Keith in "Neveda Smith," he rummaged around in his tent and came out with some flour and vegetable oil. "You're gonna need these," and he told us what to do. We had some of the best fried fish I ever remembered eating.

I have since used cornmeal, and can't decide if I like it better than four; so now I sometimes mix the two. Near as I can remember my mother and her mother used only flour and they dipped the fish in buttermilk first. They also saved their cooking oil which few folks do anymore except restaurants, of course. Which do you use to fry fish with? If you use a pre-mixed or ready mixed, vote that way and tell us the name of it.
fried-catfish-cornbread-dipped-buttermilk-seasoned-cornmeal-southern-tradition-177667450.jpg

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When us boys were teen-agers we went fishing and camping for a couple of days at Kings Pond on Ft. Benning. We took along some skillets and a few other cooking items to fry the fish we knew we'd catch. Being somewhat naive, we forgot a couple of essentials. We caught plenty of fish and walked into a man's camp to show off our stringer. "How you gonna cook 'em?" he asked. "Fry 'em up," we replied. "Cornmeal, flour, oil?" he asked. We had no response. Like Brian Keith in "Neveda Smith," he rummaged around in his tent and came out with some flour and vegetable oil. "You're gonna need these," and he told us what to do. We had some of the best fried fish I ever remembered eating.

I have since used cornmeal, and can't decide if I like it better than four; so now I sometimes mix the two. Near as I can remember my mother and her mother used only flour and they dipped the fish in buttermilk first. They also saved their cooking oil which few folks do anymore except restaurants, of course. Which do you use to fry fish with? If you use a pre-mixed or ready mixed, vote that way and tell us the name of it.
View attachment 1120989
To me, flour doesn't have the right flavor, and corn meal is a bit course grained and tends to scorch if you're not careful. Given a choice between the two, cornmeal. But, corn flour (finer ground cornmeal) is ideal. Nowadays, I usually just get a sack of House of Autrey fish breader, which is mostly corn flour, and add some extra seasonings, particularly black pepper. Zatarains or Louisiana original are good, too.

Wifeshusband

To me, flour doesn't have the right flavor, and corn meal is a bit course grained and tends to scorch if you're not careful. Given a choice between the two, cornmeal. But, corn flour (finer ground cornmeal) is ideal. Nowadays, I usually just get a sack of House of Autrey fish breader, which is mostly corn flour, and add some extra seasonings, particularly black pepper. Zatarains or Louisiana original are good, too.
Yes, I read where it's much better to use fine cornmeal.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

MOTS

Mostly White Lily cornmeal MIX, the wife keeps plenty for cornbread and such. No complaints if the salt is right.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Sick of cornmeal. We're on seasoned mix from now on. Autreys. Louisianna. Lefty's. There's all kinds they about the same. I'm bad about throwing in some corn starch or some panko crumbs

hawkeye123

House of Autry ..Zatarains..Louisiana..add panko crumbs sometimes..Emeril' s essence..salt n pepper..fry in peanut oil or avocado oil

ambush80

I like Andy's which is cornmeal based for most seafood. It seems less salty than others I've tried. I like the Red or Cajun for filets, whole bream, catfish, whiting or taco portions and the Yellow for scallops or more delicate seafood. I like a flour/beer batter for cod or halibut if I'm craving fish and chips. .

K80Shooter

I used to use Blue Ribbon Seafood Breader up until you couldn't find it any more. It was good stuff. House Autry now.

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
If you ask me, it all depends on what kind of fish your fixing.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you ask me, it all depends on what kind of fish your fixing.
Yep. I often prefer to bread small shrimp with flour instead of meal, Calabash style. I take a notion for batter-dipped fish and shrimp now and then, too. Golden Dipt makes a good fish-and-chips style batter mix.

Latest posts