The Hatch Green Chili Thread!

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
New Mexico Chiles and roast'em, toast'em peel and de-seed 'em and boil/simmer a few minutes and puree them and use them on my pulled pork sandwiches. If you do, you will never want bbq sauce on one again, ever!:D

Now there's an idea

law dawg

Bringing this back to the top. My hatch chiles arrived yesterday. Anybody have some new ideas? I stick with the basics - chile rellenos, salsa, and freezing them for chili in the winter. Always open to suggestions

JonathanG2013

Hatch peppers are very good. Woodstock, GA has a local farmer's market on weekends. There is a couple that brings the hatch peppers back from NM. The mild peppers make your tongue dance. The hot one's have a little bite to them but still good also. Also good on hamburgers, Salsa or just straight up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Green chile cheeseburgers! Roast and peel them, then put them in amongst the bacon and cheese and stuff! Quesadillas! Taquitos! Fajitas!

OcmulgeeOgre

If you have a Fresh Market near you, you can go online and order them. They will roast them and have them ready for pick-up. Four days notice is required.

The only “gotcha” is not every Fresh Market has the ability to roast them. They let you know which ones online.

mark-7mag

Bringing this back to the top. My hatch chiles arrived yesterday. Anybody have some new ideas? I stick with the basics - chile rellenos, salsa, and freezing them for chili in the winter. Always open to suggestions
“Arrived” ? Where did you get them ? How do you freeze them? I’m on a quest to get some of these

law dawg

“Arrived” ? Where did you get them ? How do you freeze them? I’m on a quest to get some of these

Sorry I didn’t see this earlier. I have a co-worker that orders them from New Mexico and shipped overnight. He gives me 5-10 lbs. I roast and chop them, then freeze them in a muffin tin. Next day I vacuum seal them for chili season.

mark-7mag

FYI Kroger has Anaheim Chili's right now which is a type of Hatch Chili. They are only in stores this time of year for a few weeks. I just went at lunch and bought all they had on the shelf. I plan on roasting them and freezing them

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
FYI Kroger has Anaheim Chili's right now which is a type of Hatch Chili. They are only in stores this time of year for a few weeks. I just went at lunch and bought all they had on the shelf. I plan on roasting them and freezing them

Mark, what preparations do you go through from start to finish on roasting and freezing these peppers?

mark-7mag

Mark, what preparations do you go through from start to finish on roasting and freezing these peppers?
This will be my 1st time freezing them but I've roasted quite a bit here in the last week. Ive thrown them on the grill and turn them once. I take them off once they start to turn and i see the skin break. I'll put them in a plastic ziplock bag for 5 mins and the skin pulls right off. Ive looked at several ways to freeze them online and I think what i'll do is freeze them in portioned freezer bags. I chopped a couple up after I roasted them this weekend and mixed them in with hamburgers. Man were they good!

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Hatch season has arrived! And.. ok, this is strange. I searched and couldn't find a single Hatch Chili thread here. Time to get the Hatch talk started in GA! :D

For those unaware, Green Chili’s from Hatch New Mexico are the most amazing chili peppers. They’re like the Vidalia Onions of the Chili world. Mild and earthy with the perfect blend of sweet, buttery smoothness, and the mildest zing of heat (even milder than Poblano’s). You can make some amazing hot-sauce just by roasting, peeling, coring, & puréeing these things, throw in a dash of salt, and absolutely nothing else! I’m telling you Hatch NM has formulated the most amazing chili peppers in the world.

green-chili-9.jpg

When I joined GON I hoped to find out where y'all recommend buying the Hatch around here, but apparently you need some basic introductions first. :p

Hatch season runs from August-September, but they generally don't start popping up in stores in GA until the beginning of September. I've found a few at Kroger for just $1.50/lb, but they didn't have many in stock. Got them from Chuy’s Mex Grill, & Harry's Farmers' Market but they’re selling for $2.50/lb both of those places. I'm still looking for a good place for better prices. I also tried growing NM chili's in my garden this year, but didn't get anywhere near as many as I need to last me till next year.

Besides just eating the roasted peppers by themselves, my two favorite things I've made out of hatch are: Chile Verde con Carne, and Hatch & Cheddar Cornbread. This cornbread is the perfect side for BBQ or whatever else you might be cooking. Cornbread Recipe Link You're welcome. :cool:

2014_05_30_Hatch-Chili-Cornbread.jpg

The color didn't turn out so good in my chili photo, but it's mostly an olive green color:
green-chili-8.jpg

Of course there are tons of other recipe’s to improve various dishes by adding the hatch. If you have any good ones post ‘em up!

Lots more pics incoming in a sec. :cheers:
Every bit of that looks good.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Those look just right!

little rascal

Love it! I been roasting and using a lot of everything peppers. Our Walmart up here here has been carrying shishuto peppers, they ain’t hot no way, but I been buying a bag a week and use them on everything we cook or smoke or grill.

georgia_home

Kroger has some hatch brats for sale, johnsonville I think.

bought some for me and my son. And have some poppers in progress for tomorrow night. Should be good.