The next step in leases.

Gone Fishin

Here is what I see happening with leases over the next few years.

The timber compaines are going to continue to raise the rates. That is a given. What I see happening is hunters are going to go from 100acres/member, to 75, 50, etc. Then at some point the timber companies are going to catch on and say "We now have a minimum on the number of acres/hunter for safety reasons."

If they are smart they will say it is because the FL folks can't hunt safely. Then they could misplace the blame, just like they are currently doing with the jump in lease prices.

I think we drop to much lower number of acres per person. Draw names for hunting dates, and tough it out for one year. If all of the hunters got together for one year, the timber companies would stop sticking it to us. Hunting leases have gone from a side business to cover the taxes on the land to a significant part of a timber conpanies business. Just like everytime in the past we hunters allow them to divide and conquer us. It is so simple to use the "It's those guys fault", and everyone just jumps on the band wagon.

From what I hear there are less people hunting today than in the past, so why does the land cost more to hunt? Because we will pay it. You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. Which side of the fence are you on?

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
This is why I hunt Oconee National Forest alot. Lease prices have gotten out of hand. Its got to the point where I am about to call it quits and start fishing all year. Hunting is slowly becoming to where only the rich can afford it.

Jeff Phillips

Gone Fishin said:
Then at some point the timber companies are going to catch on and say "We now have a minimum on the number of acres/hunter for safety reasons."

Several years ago Temple Inland did just that. Leases can only have 1 member per 50 acres.

short stop

hold out and go fishin -- :crazy: -there are 2 things that will never change --taxes going down and hunting leases going down in price ---not as long as the demand for hunting land increases ---You cant even find a place to lease in Morgan county . Its like finding a gold mine --and land owners know it too --so its ''TOP SHELF PRICE'' or sit on the porch and talk about good ol days when you hunted for free and COKE was still a drink . Thank God I got to grow up in small community where everybody knows each other on a first name basis and I still can hunt without taking out a second mortgage . Short Stop

Larry Rooks

We were able to keep our lease, released from the new owner but at a higher cost plus the addition of insurance. The individual dues went up about 50.00 a year per member. New rules and regs from the new company too, all getting to be a pain in the backside. Future cost will keep increasing no matter what we do. It is getting hard to keep a place to hunt

Al33

Very soon now,.....

most land holders will lease their lands according to the different hunting seasons. So much for deer, plus more for turkey, rabbits, quail, etc.. There may be one club for deer and another club for turkey, both paying dues for their particular hunting seasons.

Sad thing is, many will pay it.

Just 1 More

I tell you what, you can go on some good hunts out-of-state, with better quality bucks, than what many pay to hunt on crowded leases here. Plus, you don't have to worry with maintaining a camp, food plots, stands, etc. Heck, you could go on three such hunts per year for what I hear some are paying to hold on to bad land here

As soon as my daughter decides she has dosn't want to hunt with me any more,, gets to busy with school (hopefully it will be college by then) or dare I say it,,, BOYS... Until then,,, I will keep leasing in GA so she can have a place to hunt, camp, and hang out with me,,, after that.. I'll be all over the place.
I have a hunt scheduled for PA this year with Tampaspicer, and put in for Maine Moose tags every year.. maybe this will be my lucky year to get drawn.

Junebug

Lease spin-cycle.

I'm out of it...this will be the 3rd year. No more leasing for me; not in GA. The investment/personal value ratio is way too far out of wack for me. I have a couple of small private tracts I bowhunt a little, but that's it.

I'm with THunter...I travel to hunt these days. No I don't get to go every weekend but the places I go to are great and the hunting is exceptional. I FEEL like I am having a quality, enjoyable hunt and it's worth the expense.

Randy

If I lose access to the "family" land I have now, I will hunt public land or not at all. To be honest hunting has become too much of a chore for me anymore. In a way, I'll be glad when it is all over and I can just worry about fishing.

Gone Fishin

I really wanted to spend time in the woods like my dad did with me. 99% of the non WMA land my dad taught me to hunt as a boy where I grew up, ~50 miles north of Tampa, now has someone's house on it.

I have considered moving north, into the southern US, just so my son can enjoy the things I did as a kid. From listening to you guys GA may not be the place to stop.

I JUST DON'T KNOW.

bull0ne

Banned
Be prepared for the future, nearly all industrial timberland near major cities is going to be sold.

With the taxes high and the pulpwood price low it is not profitable to own the land to produce pinepulp.

Find a county that's not a famous QDM/Booner producer and off the beaten path if you want a more stable lease.