The secret to peeling perfect boiled eggs.

bighonkinjeep

After trying every online hack I could find from salt or oil in the water to the age of the eggs etc. etc. my wife gave me the secret to eggs that peel perfect every time.
You gotta talk to them through the entire prep and cooking process and convince them you're going to chop them up for potato salad.
Same works for cornbrad if you convince it its gonna be busted up for dressing.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
About once every two weeks or so, I`ll have a pep talk with our laying hens. Short, simple, and sweet-"if ya`ll don`t lay good eggs, I will kill every one of you. It will be a violent death, and ya`ll will suffer greatly, then ya`ll will be introduced to dumplins. The choice is yours...."

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
About once every two weeks or so, I`ll have a pep talk with our laying hens. Short, simple, and sweet-"if ya`ll don`t lay good eggs, I will kill every one of you. It will be a violent death, and ya`ll will suffer greatly, then ya`ll will be introduced to dumplins. The choice is yours...."
You don’t sugar coat it, do you?

sinclair1

I have good luck with getting the water boiling, then adding the eggs. Some old timer told me that letting them come to temp with the water made the membrane lose water and stick to the egg.
I ease them in with a big spoon and it’s worked for 10 years now.

Hillbilly stalker

I have good luck with getting the water boiling, then adding the eggs. Some old timer told me that letting them come to temp with the water made the membrane lose water and stick to the egg.
I ease them in with a big spoon and it’s worked for 10 years now.
I’m glad to hear this. I’m gonna get my bride to read and try this. When she boils eggs…I believe it would be easier to skin a ground hog with a dull Boy Scout hatchet than get the hide off her eggs. :rofl: . She tries tho, and I surely don’t have any ribs hanging out.:biggrin2:

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Depends on the age of the egg also, fresh eggs are more difficult to peel in my experience.

Normally boil for 8 to 10 minutes, let set 5 minutes or so, then put them in an ice bath and peel under running water, best way for me.

I also look away from the egg and do it by feel, sounds crazy, but works also
20231123_125156.jpg

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Cover eggs with water. Bring to a rolling boil. Turn the heat off. Let them sit for 8 minutes with the top on pot. Works for me every time.
Same with me.. and older eggs are better for boiling. If you want "purdy" deviled eggs turn the carton on it's side for a few days, no idea why.. but the yolk will "center" when on it's side.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I’m glad to hear this. I’m gonna get my bride to read and try this. When she boils eggs…I believe it would be easier to skin a ground hog with a dull Boy Scout hatchet than get the hide off her eggs. :rofl: . She tries tho, and I surely don’t have any ribs hanging out.:biggrin2:
Don’t use the freshest eggs, wait a few days after buying them or collecting them.

Hoss

Yep that‘s the kinder gentler Nic we know and love. In the old days he wouldn’t have warned them.:rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
My wife is peeling some for tater salad right now, and they're shucking perfectly. She says to boil them 10 minutes with some vinegar in the water, then stick them in the them in the fridge overnight and peel the next day. She says peck it on both ends, then roll it on the counter, and the shell peels right off.