Omelets In A Bag

pop pop jones

How much bacon or sausage grease did you add to the badg or is it just a boiled egg and cheese

Oldstick

I'll do it. I do the dishes. My call lol. I'll report back.

Try it, definitely. There is no way the eggs will get burnt in 212 degree boiling water. If you prefer them browned/pan fried on the outside, I can understand that, and I like them any way they are cooked, except burnt. There's a lot more attention involved to watch an omelet pan even on low heat to prevent burning.

This way you know for sure they will never get hotter than 212, even if you fall asleep, as long as water is still in the pan.

Use a pouch of tin foil if you don't like the idea of a plastic bag.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Yeah, I may try this at home. It would be great for camping. There is a whole following on Freezer Bag cooking. It's mostly dried foods, re- hydrated, and then the bag tossed into a pot of boiling water.
Then you can use the water for something else or use it to wash bowls.
No kidding- would be a jam up camp idea.

Lukikus2

Try it, definitely. There is no way the eggs will get burnt in 212 degree boiling water. If you prefer them browned/pan fried on the outside, I can understand that, and I like them any way they are cooked, except burnt. There's a lot more attention involved to watch an omelet pan even on low heat to prevent burning.

This way you know for sure they will never get hotter than 212, even if you fall asleep, as long as water is still in the pan.

Use a pouch of tin foil if you don't like the idea of a plastic bag.

Guess I missed the 212* part. Look at my first pic. I'm a first timer. Once I kept the bag from catching on fire ? it went well.

Oldstick

Lukikus2, That looks great. For everyone's reference, approximately how long did that one boil? I'm guessing 10 minutes or so? Because I had to boil a 4 egg version over 30 minutes to get it completely done throughout, (no runny) like my wife and like our eggs.

Oldstick

ryanh487

I've done these before on a group trip. Easy breakfast for 10 people with minimal cleanup. Not my favorite way to cook eggs but still WAY better than those rehydrated scrambled eggs a lot of restaurants use.

Swamprat

Swamprat
I can warsh that pan probably cheaper than the cost of that ziplock bag.

Lukikus2

Lukikus2, That looks great. For everyone's reference, approximately how long did that one boil? I'm guessing 10 minutes or so? Because I had to boil a 4 egg version over 30 minutes to get it completely done throughout, (no runny) like my wife and like our eggs.

I'm guessing 12 to 15 minutes

nkbigdog

I think in the next few days I will try to step it up a little...I am going to try this and take the onions and bells diced and carmeize them first..Then when they are cool add to bag with eggs and cheese and mix..I know it is going to add cleaning and a little more time but, I can cook the onions and bells enough to make multiple omelets. Just thinking outside the bag, ah box..:biggrin2:

j_seph

Might as well just pour em into Tupperware containers, add your stuff and put em in fridge till ready. Then throw em in the microwave for a minute or 2 or 3