these ol boys earned their money

bam_bam

Here is a neat youtube vido of some 1900's forging.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-D6-w1g3_30&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-D6-w1g3_30&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

letsgohuntin

Man I bet those guys were as strong as an ox from swinging those hammers around all day, everyday.
There forearms probably look like Popeyes!

Neat video, thanx for sharing!

Al33

I enjoyed that a lot, thanks!

Not likely any of them boys had memberships at LA Fitness. Probably wouldn't have had time to go to the gym anyway working 12 hours a day 6 days a week.

GT-40 GUY

Gone But Not Forgotten
Now you know what 20 Mule Team borax was used for besides tanning leather and 1000 other things.

gt40

JohnK3

Banned
I betcha the engineer that designed whatever they were making was out there on the shop floor with them, overseeing the work, lending a hand in places, etc.

railroadjw

Man that makes me feel lazy and ashamed of complaining of what little work I do perform. Thanks for the humble pie.

bam_bam

Man that makes me feel lazy and ashamed of complaining of what little work I do perform. Thanks for the humble pie.

no problem, i felt about the same way as you! And i bet they didnt have to worry about what they ate either, or thier waist lines

Ozzie

I'll also have a slice. The team work and trust among those men is amazing, look at how close their timing is as they swing those hammers. One false move and somebody is going to take a sledge hammer in the face.

I realize this video is from 1904, but that right there was the American work ethic that won WWI and WW II for us. Have you ever seen the American production figures from then? We produced thousands of tanks and airplanes every month. How many guys (other than Manuel Laborer or Jose Can You See) do you know that would be interested in working at a job like that now a days? Not many!

Woodscrew

I feel like so much less of a man now. They wore me out about 10 seconds into that video. Now those are men. There hands must have been like leather. About 5 swings of those hammers the way they were going I would have been tired, huffing, complaining and had blisters all over my hands.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
How many truly believe that the American Worker is the most productive worker in the world today??

I don't know where they are coming from, but you will hear this report often on the news media.

I for one happen not to believe it.

whitworth

Well one thing is for sure

there's no fatso couch potatoes in that picture.

It looks like they're repairing some type of wheel that may have broken.

My two great-grandfathers and my grandfather all worked as laborers in an iron mill that made railroad rails, after the Civil War. Most of the workers were recent immigrants.
I doubt a lot of workers stood in line, even then, to do that work.

MB1

My grandfather was a steam fitter for Ford and Chrysler and man does that guy have a grip. It is like shaking hands with a grizzly bear...and I can imagine these guys in the video are just the same.