They can't even leave our food alone...!

shaggybill

Another attack on our southern traditions... :whip:

SELMA, ALA. - On stage, the famous jazz pianist Thelonious Monk wore a collard-leaf pin in his lapel - an act of solidarity, in the guise of a key Southern food, with his sharecropper roots.

Standing in front of Selma High School the other day, principal Roosevelt Wilson broke with Mr. Monk and proclaimed war on the humble but proud collard, the leafy green usually cooked with lard, and all the other unhealthy Southern foods it evokes.

"If I could, I'd tell them never to eat collards again," says the appropriately lean Mr. Wilson, as he surveys gossiping gaggles of students after a recent day of school.

Wilson is part of a growing crusade to cinch a few notches on the nation's Barbecue Belt. He and others are breaking with the tradition of Southern grub - fried chicken, pulled pork, crawfish pies - not to mention school-lunch pizza and french fries to help stem a national obesity "epidemic."

In black communities across the South, the healthy foods movement is finding converts who want to replace bacon-soaked beans and corn pone with baked chicken and steamed broccoli - all in the name of keeping people, particularly young people, healthy.

But as they do, critics say it undermines a central element of Southern culture - one shared by both blacks and whites. "If you look at the aspects of Southern culture that we ... can celebrate as a joint creation, they are music and food," says John Edge, director of the Southern Foodways Alliance in Oxford, Miss., a group working to to preserve food traditions of the South. These are "byproducts of a multiracial culture, something in which we can take pride, not something we should be ashamed of."

Eating one's way across the South yields a trove of treasure or trouble, depending on your point of view: red link sausages, pig pickins, chicken fried steak, red-eye gravy, even, as at Big Ed's in Raleigh, N.C., "brains with eggs." It's a culture of food tied in part to the provincial survival of the South: collards and other field greens provided the necessary nutrients to a population that, in the early 20th century, had suffered deficiencies from the "Three M diet:" meat, meal, and molasses.

From the fried chitterlings at The Varsity in Atlanta to the fried chicken with gravy at Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill, N.C., it's popular fare - and increasingly controversial in a health-conscious age.

Alabama's Black Belt Action Commission, a group formed to improve living conditions in the state's poorest counties, is among those trying to change dietary habits. It is pushing to replicate Wilson's efforts at Selma High across the state. Last year, the school started doing health screenings on students and brought in older blacks to talk about how their "harmful" food choices impacted their health in later years. That led to a revamp of the cafeteria menu to favor baked foods over fried, as well as the removal of soda and snack machines from the halls.

For Wilson, it's a broader philosophical battle, one backed by top doctors in the state. As a health major in college, Wilson says the causes of problems in his city - recently deemed the "fattest in the state" - are obvious: an older generation cooking rich foods that contribute to obesity and health woes.

He's quick to note that lard-soaked Southern foods are adversely affecting black people more than whites: Statistics show African-Americans gaining weight faster. BlackHealthCare.com, a website devoted to African-American health issues, recently wrote that increased health risks among blacks in the Carolinas and Georgia is rooted partly in "a regional preference for salty, high-fat foods."

In a city that once awakened the country to civil rights issues, it seems everyone from Mayor James Perkins to School Board member John Terry is reevaluating their daily vittles. "We have the obligation to alert students that a lot of your good stuff has got plenty of fats in it," says Mr. Terry, who has had to temper his own consumption of favorite foods: fried chicken, fried catfish, barbecue, and ice cream.

Terry acknowledges that food is hardly the only cause of the city's health issues. "Some of it is also hereditary, and part of it would be laziness, a failure to exercise," he says.

But there's more to this tale of the table. In this historically poor region, food became entwined not just in stories of survival; it became a symbol, to some, of white persecution of blacks. The coining of the term "soul food" in the 1960s was a way to separate foods that originated with slaves and indigenous people from "plantation food." "What we may be seeing today in some African-American responses [away from Southern food] could be influenced by a pejorative association to a plantation diet," says Mr. Edge.

But the problem with Selma High's approach, critics say, is that research is conflicted about what constitutes a proper diet - and what, exactly, the factors are that play into obesity. They concede that rich foods can contribute to weight problems. But the question, really, is whether a traditional diet can be part of a healthy, moderate life style.

"It's particularly unfortunate that communities that might be vulnerable to invidious targeting on these matters get fed, metaphorically speaking, misleading information, like traditional Southern food being bad for you," says Paul Campos, a University of Colorado sociologist and the author of "The Obesity Myth."

Certainly healthy food advocates face an uphill fight in changing perceptions across the South. Take the scene at Arthur Cato's House of Southern Food in Hogansville, Ga., where the waitresses write in Magic Marker on wide pads. The grits come topped with butter. Lots of it. Fried catfish comes out of the kitchen in schools. The smoked sausage is dished out in large proportions.

"This is roots food," says Mr. Cato, wiping his hands on his apron. "I've never eaten anything else. I'm 77 years old, and I'm skinny as a rail."

At the Autagaville Cafe, a cinder-block restaurant in the heart of the Black Belt, Mary Wright shrugs off the food controversy, too. "No matter what we do, we're all going to leave here one day, so we might as well go happy and full," she says.

According to Wilson, the low-fat diet at Selma's gothic-looking high school caused a lot of "belly-achin' " as well. But a year later students are adjusting. Senior Clarence Walker, for one, resisted the idea of baked chicken over fried. Now, he says, "it all tastes pretty good."

burkecoboy

Sorry but...

could not stomach the whole thing, but for some reason the press listens to stupid people more than smart folks. So the idiot position is what you here most.

shadow2

It is not the food that is making Americans fat....Folks have been eating that food for 200yrs....How many old timers do you know that ate bacon and collards and fried pork chops every day of there lives and never got fat and lived to be 80..They did so because they were very active people and worked all of it off. The fact is that for the most of society we as Americans are lazy people in the physical aspect of it. The TV and computer are what are making our kids fat...What ever happened to "go outside and play till dark" that i used to hear all the time from my mom..kids today are just not physicaly active thus not burning off near the calories that most of us did as kids....just my .02

dixie

From the fried chitterlings at The Varsity in Atlanta to the fried chicken with gravy at Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill, N.C., it's popular fare - and increasingly controversial in a health-conscious age ------------------------------------ That's a new one on me, I've eaten there since the late 50's and don't ever remember seeing chitins on the menu. He'll be trying to tell them next chicken and catfish a'nit finger food!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
dixie said:
From the fried chitterlings at The Varsity in Atlanta to the fried chicken with gravy at Mama Dip's in Chapel Hill, N.C., it's popular fare - and increasingly controversial in a health-conscious age ------------------------------------ That's a new one on me, I've eaten there since the late 50's and don't ever remember seeing chitins on the menu. He'll be trying to tell them next chicken and catfish a'nit finger food!!!

Amen on the chittlin's at the Varsity. They've never had 'em. As for collard greens, well the author of this one, and the principal too, don't know very much about what's good for you.

Darcy

people getting fat didn't happen overnight... i mean you don't just wake up being 20, 30, 50 lbs overweight. Look at the older people who grew up eating this stuff, its not the real southern food, its all the other crap that everyone is eating.

Are all the big people this talks about the same ones i see cramming big macs and whoppers down their throats in their cars? Honestly, you can't expect food to be good for you that takes 30 seconds to make at the drive-thru.

When Mommas used to spend all day cooking, they'd have healthy kids who played outside and things like ADD/ADHD didn't exist!!

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Darcy said:
people getting fat didn't happen overnight... i mean you don't just wake up being 20, 30, 50 lbs overweight. Look at the older people who grew up eating this stuff, its not the real southern food, its all the other crap that everyone is eating.

Are all the big people this talks about the same ones i see cramming big macs and whoppers down their throats in their cars? Honestly, you can't expect food to be good for you that takes 30 seconds to make at the drive-thru.

When Mommas used to spend all day cooking, they'd have healthy kids who played outside and things like ADD/ADHD didn't exist!!
What Darcy said!

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
Amen to what a lot of you folks said! Lifestyles, genes, and medical problems have a lot to do with obesity, not necessarily good ole southern cookin!

discounthunter

its amazing how the blame is easily pointed away from ourselves.in this day and age ignorance is the main cotributing factor for obesity.theres a simple formula to solve it -calories in vs calories used-,if you eat a donut go rake leaves,drink a soda go walk the dog ,yet people would rather blame someone else for forceing those double cheese burgers down their throats.i spoil my kids and eat alot of junk food but i do my best to make sure they dont sit on their bums,we walk,work in the yard swim,jump on the trampoline,play tag,ect.i do blame the schools somewhat not by what they serve but because they cut out rescess and only have gym acouple of times a week for only a semester.

RBBTBONE

thats the point discout hunter people are letting there kids sit in front of the playstation and the television,my oldest son is 10 i limit him to 2 1hour sessions on the game on the weekends only he would sit in front of that thing all day if you let him i know ther is some of you who have sat and watched them play it before man they get in a zone on that thing like a trance i wish i never got it,he;s had it 3 years, and like i said,his time has been cut drastically 2 falls ago,he has to go out and play with the dogs, clean out the dog pen and good stuff like that

Count Down

RBBTBONE said:
thats the point discout hunter people are letting there kids sit in front of the playstation and the television,my oldest son is 10 i limit him to 2 1hour sessions on the game on the weekends only he would sit in front of that thing all day if you let him i know ther is some of you who have sat and watched them play it before man they get in a zone on that thing like a trance i wish i never got it,he;s had it 3 years, and like i said,his time has been cut drastically 2 falls ago,he has to go out and play with the dogs, clean out the dog pen and good stuff like that

Yep...Go throw a baseball with them...It's the parents fault that the kids are lazy...No excuse for it. I refuse to let my kids turn into a couch zombie...Except when the race is on.:D But I normally DVR those anyway, and watch them later...You have to make the kids do things outside. Stop buying the handheld video games and the junk that forces them to be "plugged" in...Buy things that forces them to go outside...I'm gonna get my kids a paintball set....So when want to fight over who's doing the dishes..."TAKE IT OUT BACK!"....Let the fury fly!....then they'll be to tired to care...:fine:

Timbo

"I couldn't make it all the way through with out going to the freezer and get out a bushel of greens".

Now my wife wont let me sleep in the bed.:bounce: