Thinking about buying a Glock 20...need advice

outdoorman

I already own a Glock 22 in 40 cal which I really like and now thinking of the Glock 20 in 10mm.
The main reason is that I want to take a fishing trip to Alaska and future trips to Colorado/Montana for camping/fishing and I everything I read is that 40 cal isn't enough for the big predators one might encounter. Anyone chime in on whether the 10mm is worth it; also how easy/difficult it is to get 10mm ammo now. Thanks

Reactions: Dub

Gator89

10 mm target/practice ammo can be found on line fairly easily, $0.55 per round before shipping.

I have a G20 and I have a Lone Wolf conversion barrel to let me shoot 40 S&W in my G20.

The 10 mm is quite snappy and it is a handful due to size of the grip.

You might want to consider the G40 with the longer slide for a woods gun.

I have not faced down a charging bear, so I cannot speak to how that works.

Lilly001

10 mm target/practice ammo can be found on line fairly easily, $0.55 per round before shipping.

I have a G20 and I have a Lone Wolf conversion barrel to let me shoot 40 S&W in my G20.

The 10 mm is quite snappy and it is a handful due to size of the grip.

You might want to consider the G40 with the longer slide for a woods gun.

I have not faced down a charging bear, so I cannot speak to how that works.
The G40 is a sweet shooter. And with 180 or heavier bullets it should give you a fighting chance against a bear.

frankwright

If only carrying it like you said the G20 will be fine or even the G29.
Just to mention if you are a veteran many places offer a good discount and the price is about $521.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I'd be taking a wheel gun and a magnum at that. 180gr bullet from a 357 mag is about 100 ft/sec slower than 10mm. Seems on the lower end for griz to me, good enough to knee cap your mates and run off though.
??

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I listened to an episode of the Meateater podcast awhile back where they had a dude on there that survived a grizzly bear attacking him and his buddy. It took a shot from a .300 Winmag and kept attacking, took several more shots from a 10mm to finish it off. He said on autopsy, that without the shot from the 300, they might likely be bear poo. With that said, a 10mm is a lot better than a pocketknife of your bare hands.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
I listened to an episode of the Meateater podcast awhile back where they had a dude on there that survived a grizzly bear attacking him and his buddy. It took a shot from a .300 Winmag and kept attacking, took several more shots from a 10mm to finish it off. He said on autopsy, that without the shot from the 300, they might likely be bear poo. With that said, a 10mm is a lot better than a pocketknife of your bare hands.
There was also the guy that killed that bear with a piece of firewood

pjciii

There was a guide Out in Wyoming A couple of years ago that got himself kilt and his client didn't know how to use a semi auto and got it jammed up under the pressure. The guide threw his gun to the client In a desperate Effort. I don't know how many shots the guide took or how many fired before he jammed up and turned around a ran.
I don't think i would do anything other Ruger Redhawk Alaskan but at the least a wheel gun

TomC

Fair amount of experience with all the Glock 10mm’s (20, 29, 40). If you can check out the SF version of the Glock 20 which is my favorite which has a less bulk grip, add talon grips, a KKM barrel and some Underwood Ammo. I’ve carried the Glock 20SF IWB in a Cooks holster (thin kydex version) fairly comfortably.

Before you leave for your trip, pick up a can of Counter Assault. The gun will make you feel better, the spray will probably be what saves your life!

outdoorman

Thanks since originally posting I got to reading on other forums and it seems like the chance of being attacked is pretty small as compared to other dangers.
Also seems like many others including Alaskans suggest bear spray.
I'm planning to see a G20 today to how it 'fits' in hand.

660griz

I struggled with the same issue. For Alaska, I take a Ruger Alaskan in .454. It has a history of stopping charging Grizzlies. I bought a G29 for all other predators in lower 48. With the 15 round mag and some dangerous game hard cast, I would probably feel pretty comfortable with that vs the .454 in Alaska. Not sure if any thing has changed but, to shoot the hard cast, I need to change barrels in my Glock. If you decide on a 10mm for Alaska, you need the big boy ammo.

Tight Lines

Thanks since originally posting I got to reading on other forums and it seems like the chance of being attacked is pretty small as compared to other dangers.
Also seems like many others including Alaskans suggest bear spray.
I'm planning to see a G20 today to how it 'fits' in hand.
I've never been attacked, but I have been within 40-50 yards of bears a few times fly fishing out west and up north. That I know of. Your chances are very small if you are smart and aware.

My approach is multi-tiered. Wear a bell. Carry the biggest can of bear spray you can on your belt. Carry a very large knife in a sheath on your belt. Carry a .44 magnum in a holster with the most powerful rounds you can find. Like this: https://www.garrettcartridges.com/44hammerheadplusp.html

I have a chest holster for the Ruger to keep it out of the water when wading but it's a pain to carry with a fly fishing chest pack. So I often times leave it within reach on the bank when on the prairie where I can see, and over a shoulder when in a wooded stream where I can't.

Waddams

Another 10mm option is the EAA Witness series pistols. It's a CZ75 clone made by an Italian company called Tanfoglio. I have one in 9mm and have contemplated getting the 10mm for handgun hunting. I think it's a 15 rd mag, and the CZs and clones are known for good hand fits. I know I'm about surgical with the 9mm. Was hitting pie plates at 50+ yards easily with it a few weeks ago.

Nothing wrong with the Glock, I just don't shoot them as well as others. Something about the grip, angle, and I've shot so much with my Ruger and the Witness that my muscle memory just doesn't work well with a Glock. The CZ's and various clones from other companies though are about my favorite line of pistols.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There was also the guy that killed that bear with a piece of firewood
One of my dad's hunting buddies killed one by hitting in the head with a big rock. I would just as soon have a gun, myself. :)