Thinking about buying a Glock 20...need advice

What did people use before 10mm and other magnum velocity cartridges were placed in hand cannons?

.44.40 .45 Colt? Did they simply bring along big bore rifles?

earlthegoat2

Without reading through the thread, unless you really want the 10mm, just being the 40.

frankwright

If you are LEO, or even a veteran many places will see you the G40 or the G20 for $578.
Online there is GT Distributors and Primary Arms.

Local (to me) is ED's in Stockbridge and Amchar GA gun range in Mcdonough.
Even with shipping and FFL fee ordering online can save you bucks!

Buckhead

I'd be taking a wheel gun and a magnum at that. 180gr bullet from a 357 mag is about 100 ft/sec slower than 10mm. Seems on the lower end for griz to me, good enough to knee cap your mates and run off though. I'd be looking for a 460 s&w or bigger.

Check Buffalo Bore ammo. 180 gr out of a .357 mag has more velo/energy than a 180 out of a 10mm

GunnSmokeer

Check Buffalo Bore ammo. 180 gr out of a .357 mag has more velo/energy than a 180 out of a 10mm

Yeah, wow, I was not expecting that.

Given the exact same bullet weight in the same type of load (buffalo bore's "heavy load" intended for dangerous animals out in the woods....

... the .357 mag wins the kinetic energy test: something like 720 versus 780 foot pounds.

fauxferret

Kenai Chest rig for fishing. Carry a G40 MOS with a Holosun. Loading Nosler 200 Grainers over Longshot powder. Works well for hogs and small Georgia deer.

Update/ Edit:

I have since gotten rid of my G40, it only took Glock about 6 years to bring me what I wanted which was a factory MOS setup on a G20. Having since picked this pistol up I needed a new sight as well. I personally have switched from a Holosun 507SC to the Holosun SCS with a green dot. They say for those who have an astigmatism green is purportedly better and doesn't distort as badly. I cannot confirm this but I was itching for a new setup and the local store had one in stock. I will say I like this setup much better especially since the sight sits so low you do not need suppressor height sights to co-witness with your dot. Have since refined my loads again since I was able to find Accurate 9 in stock. Getting better velocity with this powder using Noslers provided data.

Last edited:
I’d just stick with the .40 G22.
A hard cast SWC from the.40 at its slightly lower velocity may actually penetrate MORE due to less expansion.
Consider that Alaska State Troopers are issued a G22 and a 12ga Shotgun and plenty of bear spray.
I would consider myself well armed with 2-large spray cans of repellent, a G22, and access to my Marlin M1895GG with 400gr Hard cast @2,000fps!
SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT, SHOT PLACEMENT!!!

The Marlin IS legal in Canada, with the proper paperwork...$$$

The biggest threat is actually 2-legged and runs in packs...

pdsniper

I have two mod 20 Glocks and a STI perfect 10 as well I totally love 10mm I have a buddy that barrows one of my 10 mm every time he goes to Alaska fishing, I think with anything you use on a Bear its all about shot placement the nice thing about the Glock or my STI you have 15 to 18 rounds the get it in the right spot

HavocLover

I have a 20 in 10mm. I love it. It is a handful and snappy. Definitely not gonna leisurely plink with it. I strongly considered getting the G40 but I didn’t want something so one dimensional. I knew that G40 would be a much better handling gun for that caliber, but practically with it physically being so big kinda out weighed it in my opinion. I’ve always found ammo in stores with little issues. But I also use ammoseek a lot. I have quite a few odd ball caliber guns and ammoseek is definitely been my go to. 9FC84C98-199E-47DC-89DD-142BD8AEDD98.jpeg

longrangedog

An indigenous girl, Bella Twin, killed a world record grizzly bear with a .22 long rifle. https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/. I read several years ago that one of the Scandinavian countries supplied their border guards, who operated in polar and brown bear territory, with 10mm Glock pistols. The Glocks were back up to 30-06 bolt rifles. Having a 10mm pistol with 16 rounds is comforting, if not ideal.

Bjrink

Razco holster adapts to FHF bino rig. Razco did not make one at the time so dremeled the end for longer 40mos barrel

Attachments

• 236D5533-5CEB-472B-A95C-59922B58533F.jpeg
    236D5533-5CEB-472B-A95C-59922B58533F.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 17
An indigenous girl, Bella Twin, killed a world record grizzly bear with a .22 long rifle. https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/. I read several years ago that one of the Scandinavian countries supplied their border guards, who operated in polar and brown bear territory, with 10mm Glock pistols. The Glocks were back up to 30-06 bolt rifles. Having a 10mm pistol with 16 rounds is comforting, if not ideal.
The Country is Denmark. The Uniit is called the Sirius Dog Patrol. (After the northern sky constellation Canis Major, Sirius, the Dog Star).
They patrol Greenland during the winter months. Typically 9month patrols in a team of two. They are armed with Glock Model 20’s in 10mm w/200gr Norma FMJ. The rifles are U.S. P1917 Enfields in .30/06. 26”bbl and reciever sights calibrated to 600yds+. They carry Nosler Custom 200gr Partition and 168gr OTM (boat tail match hollow point) ammo. The rifles are for protection and subsistence hunting while on extended remote patrol. It’s an elite unit of volunteers.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
If I remember correctly that bear was killed with a .22 long. I’ve read a couple of articles on the incident.

whiteoaks

The G20 is my favorite Glock. I carry it in a denali holster when I need a big defense gun. My has never failed me or jammed.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
And, a grizzly in Montana a couple years ago killed one guy and maimed another one horribly after having a 10mm emptied into it, after being shot with a .300WM.

DAVE

2007 in a North Ga. camp site a man called Everhart killed a 300lb black bear when he threw a chunk of firewood at it that hit the bear in the head, killing it on the spot. Mr. Everhart was awarded a ticket due to the fact he had improperly stored his families camp food. Anything is possible including getting killed and eaten by a bear.