Thinking of Splurging - Need Some Advice...

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
OK - Ms. HT and I are about ready to get a new TV (One that you don't have to whack on the side to get to stop rolling and blinking... :) ) -- And, we're thinking of really getting crazy and getting something other than the rabbit ears we're using -- (I don't know why, heck, I can pick up channel 5 real good when I'm holding the rabbit ears, standing on one foot, and have a piece of aluminum foil between my teeth...) -- But, guess we're about to splurge in the TV market... We're looking for about a 27" model and what's ya'lls advice on cable vs. satellite?

Havana Dude

Ht

We have cable down here, and I can tell ya, it ain't worth the money. We hardly ever turn ours on. I guess it depends on what each individuals needs are. I do know that satelite has more to offer and better packages of channels to choose from. If your not familiar with all they have to offer, then be prepared to do your homework on what channels are out there. If you go the satelite route, be sure and ask about recieving your local channels, for your local news broadcasts. Thats about all I know to tell ya.

Skipper

Banned
I aint much on having a fancy smancy tv. The tv in our living room is a $205.99 Sanyo from Wal Mart and the one in the bed room in an FOC job that I won in a raffle at the state fair one year. Oddly enough, it's a year or 2 newer version of the $205.99 Sanyo from Wal Mart.

As far as Cable v's Satellite goes, I'm not real thrilled with either one. I really don't think it makes that much difference these days since satellite has most local channels now. Most cable systems are big conglomerate outfits unlike 10 years ago when most were local. The difference is there's no more service with cable like there used to be. Oddly enough, satellites are sold through local dealers who service what they sell. Here, the Radio Shack dealer sells them and his son does the installation and service for them.

Skipper

Randy

Sony's VEWGA is one of the top rated units. I just bought one and am real happy with it. As far as sattellite or cable. No question go satellite as in Direct TV. There is always something on to watch! I don't know how I ever lived without satellite TV.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Tom,

Many of the big box appliance stores, Best Buy, Circuit City etc. have had 27 - 32" TV's in their sale flyers this week for $190-300! I've seen Magnovox, Zenith etc! All pretty good names.

When you do go to the store, do not, I repeat DO NOT let you eyes fall upon the evil HD TV's!!! You will be ruined if you look at them!!!

As for the cable vs. dish, I've never had dish but have heard folks complain about weather effecting them. When I was with Comcast Cable I used to have some very serious cable outages also.

However, I've been with my local municipal cable outfit for about 3 years with not one single failure and I pay just under $30 per month for the service.

You may want to see if your county or city offers a service.

jeffw

cable

I would definetly go with cable. You can watch different tv in all of your rooms and with satellite you have to purchase additional receivers. Also, come a storm and no tv. Prices are competitive. My plan is 32 a month.

China-mart is having a 5 hour sale after thanksgiving from 6-11am. They have a 24 inch symphonic with DVD for 140.

Nick_T

Banned
On the TV, think Walmart. They've got several different brands there and price wise they're hard to beat.

I've got both Cable and Direct TV. Cable has it's limitations but is reliable during heavy weather, but lightning seems to have a way of finding your cable over any other way into your house. Gone through several TVs that way. Direct TV is great, but to get the full use out of it you better be ready to fork out some $$ for the monthly bill. If you don't want or don't want to pay for the premium channels you'd probably be happier with cable, plus your local channels are on the cable also. And ain't nuthin worse to see something that is on the dish that ya haven't paid for and can't watch.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Nick T

GeauxLSU

Sorry to hear it...

HT,
Sorry you are going to do anything to encourage more TV watching. I bought a 42" widescreen HD (High definition) when my wife was pregnant a few years ago and it was probably the biggest mistake of my life. Only thing worse was the new recliner I bought about 3 months. My carcass is becoming pretty soft. :rolleyes:
In the 27" market I have had GREAT results with Zenith. They are no longer considered a 'high end' TV but in my personal experience the picture is better than anything int he price range and the durability is WAY WAY better. They were I believe the last american made TV but I think they sold out to a foreign co. as well. :rolleyes:
You should be able to get a good 27", especially this time of year for less than $250. If I remember correctly the GEs and the Magnavox's I looked at were not on par (though in the same price range and very commonly available). No slight to those who may be enjoying theirs. Just an opinion.
I've had cable for years (20+). I've thought about switching to satellite a number of times, mainly for HD but now my cable company offers HD and it's MUCH cheaper. Also don't have to deal with the occasional weather issues related to satellite and the intricacies of getting local service. Satellite is closing the gap on the simplicity of cable but there are still issues (weather, multiple boxes).
If you just want 'basic' service, I'd definitely get cable. It's cheap, you wont' need boxes to get it on as many TVs as you want (cheaper). If you want expanded service or premium channels then you may want to look at the channel offerings of both services. We have expanded cable with HD service but no premium channels.
The fact of the matter is, with either, you'll get well over 100 channels to watch and not a single one of them will be worth spending 5 minutes of your life on.
I primarily enjoy cable service for the Outdoor Channel, the LOCAL weather channel, Fox News channel and a few of the sports channels. The rest, is primarily 'noise'. Though I'm sure there's something potentially life altering on one of the what seems like 20 different MTV stations we get, I'm sure I could survive without them.
Reality is, considering your current high tech set up, you'll be ecstatic (and vegetative) no matter which route you choose. ;) :p
Also, there's several 24 hour religous stations on both so you could keep an eye on the competition! :bounce:
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Chuck C

Forget Wal-Mart for they are the sum of all evil!

I'm in the business and I will tell you that you cannot buy a better television than Sony or Panasonic and no, I don't work for either company.

If you are ever likely to want HDTV make sure the set has the appropriate inputs such as DVI or HDMI as well as component inputs. Outside of that, don't get all twisted about what is best. When you get the new set home you will have nothing to compare it to so if it's enough for you at the store it will be great at home. Spend only as much as you are comfortable spending. As much as I hate to say it, Best Buy is a pretty good place to shop if you don't need answers. Costco and Sam's(evil) are super places to buy. The usually have quality sets at or near same price a small dealer would pay.
All products today are pretty good but Sony and Panasonic are prime source manufacturers, in the other words, they build the parts that they use in building the sets. That is not to say that there aren't other manufacturers that do the same but that these are two of the best.
Also know that just because it says "brand X" on the set that most of the manufacturers have many levels of products with varying levels of performance.
With regard to retailers, understand that they make a tremendous amout of profit from "extended service plans" and will often try harder the sell the extended warranty than the actual product.

My advice:
Go to Costco.

Chuck

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Sorry you are going to do anything to encourage more TV watching.
Not really planning on watching any more than I do now - (And that's probably 5 hours a week or so - Maybe 10 on a big week of TV for us...) But I'm tired of this old junker I've got now - I have to beat the side about every 30 minutes to get it to stop rolling and blinking and such... And my reception with the rabbit ears is next to zero - Some of the shows I watch, I can't even make out the person's facial features, and when I watch a ball game I can never see the little scoreboard they have in the corner showing which inning or quarter they are in and the score... I just want the basics so I can pick up the local channels better, so it's sounding like cable might be the way to go for us. Sounds like there are a lot of choices on brands out there, and, like everything else you probably get what you pay for. But, the TV I've got now is a Sanyo I gave less than a hundred dollars for about 15 years ago (Of course, it's been worn out for the past year or so - so I guess that means I got about 14 years for a hundred dollars). You guys have given some great advice... I guess buying a new electronic item is just a "Man-Thang" :) -- Heck, I might even go wild and get a DVD player if I can get teethdoc to hook it up for me :)

QuakerBoy

Tom,

watch the circulars that are coming out in the mail or newspaper. There are many "day after Thanksgiving sales" where you can get a really good deal if you get there early.

As for cable or satellite I can't tell you. I have cable and most of the time I watch the 3 networks.

reylamb

Now that I finally have my antenna tuned, I hardly ever watch cable anymore, with the exception of Sportscenter. About all we watch now is over-the-air HDTV from any of the local ATL stations.

stumpman

Banned
splurge big and get a 61" big screen not a wide screen and we have satelite direct tv it works great very few storms mess it up has to be a bad one i think our tv is a phillips never had to beat it yet.

ncman

Tell ya what..........

Just go out to Best Buy (the greatest of all electronic stores for a number of reasons) and purchase a new 52" plasma tv. Talk about picture. This would be truly splurging. And another thing: Satellite; hands down. My opinion. Not going to state why b/c of the people that will want to argue with me. But I know better. :D

Ga-Spur

Sanyo is the best tv made now. It is also one of the better priced ones. This is a best buy from Consumer Union. If you get that DVD let me know and I'll loan you some good movies.

reylamb

Plasma???????? Not now, not where the technology for the plasma screens is at this time. You could not give me a plasma for use at my house.

teethdoc

I already gave you a DVD player. Your TV is just too old for it to work without $50 worth of adaptors, and then you only get one side of the stereo sound.

marknga

GONetwork Member
I would highly recommend Direct TV. I have had it for about a year and the picture is great. I would also say get the reciever with TIVO because TIVO is the greatest TV accessory ever made. It lets you watch TV the way YOU want to watch TV.
As far as TV I went with the Sony Wide Screen Rear Projection, for the money and size it was MY best choice. Check out this forum for some help; www.avsforum.com
Be prepared because it can give you sensory overload!

Good luck.

Mark

ramblinrack

dvd player??? bro tom, whats wrong with your ol corded beta vcr?
::huh: ;) :bounce:
seriously, check out the sony widescreen wega w/ picture tube. i got the 34" a year or so ago and it is fantastic for watchin anything on. especially football and racing....and particularly evangelical crusades!
::ke: