This deity is "the real deal" - obviously

oldfella1962

Okay, just a short list of various "creator gods" both active and retired. This IS NOT a list of every different god, just those credited in their various religions with creation. My point is in the year 2023 CE Earth is a biiiiiiiiiiig old planet with a lot of different beliefs. Caveat, some of these are alternate names for what is essentially the same deity, such as Elohim, Yahweh, and the Holy Spirit are variations/aspects of the Christian God* but I think everyone will get the gist of the ASTOUNDING variety in human imaginations.

* sidenote Yahweh and Elohim (both names used in the Old Testament and referring to "God") were two separate gods before Judaism developed into its current form! Yahweh was the storm god of action and Elohim was the more reserved "thinking" god. Eventually when the northern Yahweh worshipping tribes became dominant, they incorporated the traits of Elohim under the Yahweh umbrella . Thus, Yahweh then came the omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent "do it all" God merging all the traits & qualities of the two separate gods worshipped by the proto-Israelites.

Feel free to check these out for any mistakes - I did an internet "spot check" on various names, and the list seems legit. Some of the creator god names are pretty interesting sounding like Mbombo, Glooscap, Taryenyawagon, Unkulunkulu, and Q'uq'umatz for example.

Abassi (spirit) Abira Abzu Achamán Adroa Agudar Ahone Ahura Mazda Aiomun-Kondi Akongo Alatangana Amma (deity) Amotken Amun Anansi Anguta Anulap Aramazd Atua I Raropuka Atum Awonawilona B Bagadjimbiri Baiame Batara Kala Bathala Bemba (mythology) Brahma Buga (deity) Bunjil C Cautantowwit Cghene Chaotroquin Chiminigagua Chirakan-Ixmucane Cocijo Coyote (mythology) D Daksha Damballa Degei Dohkwibuhch E Earth-maker myth El (deity) Elohim Enki Eskeri F Fuxi G Ganesha Gitche Manitou Glooscap God God the Father Gran Maître H Hahgwehdiyu Heryshaf Hœnir Holy Spirit in Christianity Huracan Huveane I I'itoi Imana Imra Inyan Io Matua Kore Itherther Itzamna Ixpiyacoc Iya Nla Izanagi J Jah Jesus K ǀKaggen Kalumba Kanda-koro-kamuy Kāne Kanglā Shā Karora Katonda (mythology) Kayra Kek (mythology) Kengue Khepri Khnum Khonvoum Khuman Pokpa Kokh Kox Kotan-kar-kamuy Koupalu Krishna Kukulkan Kuterastan Kutka Kutkh L Limu (Tongan mythology) Lóðurr M Mahakala Makemake (deity) Mangar-kunjer-kunja Marduk Mayari Mbombo Mebege Mukuru Mwari Mwuetsi N Na Atibu Nanabozho Nareau Ngai Ngenechen Ngewo Nhialic Nogamain Noncomala Nongpok Ningthou Nongshāba Num (god) Numakulla Nzambi a Mpungu Nzame O Obassi Ọbatala Odin Ryuho Okawa Olelbis Omai (deity) Ōmeteōtl Oro Religion P Pacha Kamaq Pakhangba Panam Ningthou Pangu Pariacaca (god) Phanes Phou Ningthou Pisatao Prajapati Ptah Puana Pūluga Pureiromba Q Qat (deity) Quetzalcoatl Qʼuqʼumatz R Ra Rama Rangi and Papa Ratovantany Raven Tales Rod (Slavic religion) Roog S Shiva Sibú Svarog T Ta'aroa Tabaldak Tagaloa Taoroinai Taryenyawagon Tatenen Tengri Tezcatlipoca Thangching Tloquenahuaque Tōnacātēcuhtli Tupã (mythology) Tzacol U Ugatame Ülgen Unkulunkulu Unumbotte V Vamana Vili and Vé Viracocha Vishvakarma Vrishakapi W Waheguru Wisakedjak X Xamaba Y Yahweh Yaldabaoth Yuanshi Tianzun Yúcahu Z Zamba (god) Zanahary

660griz

I only believe in one of those. :) JK

WaltL1

Whats baffling to me is most religious folks will claim all those other gods are false and of course theirs (which ever one they believe in) is "true". Despite the fact the vast majority probably never even heard of most of those gods on that list.
Its one thing to believe in a god, its a whole other thing to claim the rest as "false" as though its a fact.

oldfella1962

Cool.

How many more you guess you got ?
How many more peaceful days? That all depends on my attitude. :)
How many more days in general do I have left to live? It could be thousands of days, it could be zero. Nobody knows.

oldfella1962

Whats baffling to me is most religious folks will claim all those other gods are false and of course theirs (which ever one they believe in) is "true". Despite the fact the vast majority probably never even heard of most of those gods on that list.
Its one thing to believe in a god, its a whole other thing to claim the rest as "false" as though its a fact.
Very true! It would be interesting to hear debates between a follower of any major religion (Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etcetera) and followers of some of the religions who follow the creator gods on my list. What are the blatant conflicts in their theology? What are the similarities? Atheist versus theist (any religion) debates are :sleep: most of the time once you have seen a lot of them. But they do get tend to get more and more complex, because both sides have to step up their game just to counter each other's new ideas, interpretations, scientific/historical/archeological findings, and so forth.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Very true! It would be interesting to hear debates between a follower of any major religion (Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, etcetera) and followers of some of the religions who follow the creator gods on my list. What are the blatant conflicts in their theology? What are the similarities? Atheist versus theist (any religion) debates are :sleep: most of the time once you have seen a lot of them. But they do get tend to get more and more complex, because both sides have to step up their game just to counter each other's new ideas, interpretations, scientific/historical/archeological findings, and so forth.
I would bet that the constant one-upping is how most versions of gods got started and fought over.

660griz

Most people born in the zip code I was born in also believe in that one.
What are the odds? :unsure:
A) I was kidding. B) How do you know which one I was referring to?

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Most religious folks accept the fact that if there are other gods out there………they’re certainly not bound to the parameters of what men use as their own trial and error (science) that says what can or can’t be.

oldfella1962

A) I was kidding. B) How do you know which one I was referring to?
Good point! I don't know which deity you were referring to, I was just going off the highest statistical probability of which one - which one is most likely in other words. You are an American (native born presumably) and if you are an immigrant, it is unlikely that you came from a part of the world that follows Zoroastrianism for example. :huh:

hopper

That is a lot of God's on that list. What I find crazy is the fundamental (if that's the right word) need, want or other to believe in somthing bigger than ourselves. I get that's not a trait in every human, but it appears to be something in possibly the majority of humans.

WaltL1

That is a lot of God's on that list. What I find crazy is the fundamental (if that's the right word) need, want or other to believe in somthing bigger than ourselves. I get that's not a trait in every human, but it appears to be something in possibly the majority of humans.
but it appears to be something in possibly the majority of humans.
Thats ^ the interesting part to me.
The next question is why?
Several possibilities.

oldfella1962

It is most definitely a trait found in nearly every human. Humans have a very complex brain, and we want answers because we have questions. If we never evolved to have curiosity or abstract reasoning (and subsequent abstract questioning) we probably wouldn't have a belief in the supernatural. If we never evolved to have the ability for complex language, we couldn't discuss abstract ideas, and anything approaching a structured belief system would be dead in the water.

Psychology is not an exact science. Psychiatry must be a more satisfying career. Psychiatrists can (most of the time) diagnose a "broken" brain and prescribe the medications that make it function better. :) Psychiatric medicine workers are my heroes! (y) They got my wife's brain back to normal on two occasions (almost three) and may have to do so in the future. It's a statistical probability I have to face. :cautious: But figuring out why a typical/functioning human brain does what it does will be an ongoing, unending task for psychologists.

But before I stray "off task" too far, the very fact that nearly every tribe/society has a religion that reflects the values and interests and capabilities of that society is evidence against there being only one "true god(s)" that created the universe, and rules over all humans and the supernatural beings involved as well. That is pretty much the point of my list of "creator gods". It is so commonplace - and actually expected - for humans to make up creation stories (even if the ideas for their creation stories are borrowed from other stories) that the odds of only ONE of these stories being correct - despite zero solid evidence proving it and mountains of evidence disproving it - are like finding a needle in a haystack. But humanity has dumped a box of needles in a haystack, and everybody searching for a needle found one. :unsure:

Some people's brains (six percent of America according to some researchers) are just not wired - for various reasons - to believe in the supernatural. Personally, I process and express emotional responses much differently than the typical human, so maybe that is one of the main reasons why I am an atheist. But generally - much like a tragic aviation or vehicle accident - there are multiple factors involved. That said, I do not believe that supernatural reasons (good, evil, gods, devils) are ever a factor in anything, pending evidence that meets my personal burden of proof. The realty-based universe is amazing as it is and seems more amazing the more we explore it - so why poison the well by adding
our own unproven supernatural ideas and calling them "facts"? :huh:

hopper

There must be somthing in it for those that "poison the well" to make it worth it to the individual.

oldfella1962

There must be somthing in it for those that "poison the well" to make it worth it to the individual.
Oh no doubt! A belief in the supernatural is very much a personal desire and I would posit that no two people's beliefs are exactly the same about anything. We all have a capacity (and the motivation) for self-delusion to some degree. I can't prove it (I'm not a mind reader) but even fundamentalists don't believe that every single part of the Bible is true & accurate especially if you can put a copy of two identical Bibles (any versions) side-by-side and demonstrate blatant contradictions of accounts of events. This has been done over and over which just forces the apologetics industry to come up with new pretzel-logic goalpost moving excuses, rather than just admit that there are plot holes in the stories that they cannot honestly and in good faith explain.

Latest posts