Thomas county dove hunting

I am going to try to plant a dove field this year in north Thomas County. I know there aren’t as many doves in Thomas as there are other counties, but has anyone had any luck with dove fields around Thomasville? I’m going with 4.5 acres of sunflowers. I have shot doves in that field a few time with some success but I want to dedicate it as a dove field.

reelsouthern1220

I hunted a smaller field this past season up in Barwick, GA just north of Thomasville. Field was in sunflowers and corn. We had 4 or 5 good shoots the first phase, but after that there really weren't any big pushes of migratory birds to speak of. I live in north Leon County FL and I know the plantations around us have dove fields that hold birds pretty consistently. It's not what it used to be in and around this area, but there are enough birds to make it worth while in my opinion if you're willing to put in the work on the field. Wish you the best of luck! I'm always looking for a place relatively close to home to take my son if you ever need an extra gun!!

spring

Some fields birds just like, and if the field you’re talking about has had successful shoots in the past, it could well be one of them.
Not nearly as much commercial row crop farm land in the Red Hills as elsewhere due to the focus on quail management, but birds migrating south don’t necessarily know that, and if you have a little haven for them, the lack of as much competition to concentrate the birds on your spot may well be a true advantage….
Often birds like larger fields, but I’ve been on some barn burners on smaller ones like yours as well.
Sunflowers sound like a great idea.

Last edited:
I hunted a smaller field this past season up in Barwick, GA just north of Thomasville. Field was in sunflowers and corn. We had 4 or 5 good shoots the first phase, but after that there really weren't any big pushes of migratory birds to speak of. I live in north Leon County FL and I know the plantations around us have dove fields that hold birds pretty consistently. It's not what it used to be in and around this area, but there are enough birds to make it worth while in my opinion if you're willing to put in the work on the field. Wish you the best of luck! I'm always looking for a place relatively close to home to take my son if you ever need an extra gun!!
I appreciate it! It’s hard to get on dove shoots now. My dad grew up in the 80’s and said they were like community events. Now you have to rub elbows with the right people to go. If we have an extra spot on the field, I’ll be sure to let y’all know!

Latest posts