Thoughts on Towing a small trailer long distances ~

Jasper

Question for y’all - I need to take a trailer to WY with me on our elk hunt to bring coolers of meat home (thinking positive). I’m driving 3600 miles round trip from Atlanta to Cody in late September and my boys are flying out. I have a 5 x 8 utility trailer that I’d like to take, my only concern is that is has 12” tires. Do y’all see any issue towing a trailer with those small tires 3600 miles? It does have brand new tires (and a new spare) and I’m going to put new bearings in it before I leave. Thanks!

TurkeyH90

Yep. I would not go that far on 12" tires. I used to have a jonboat on a trailer with small tires. Blew out a bunch of them on my 3.5 ride to Altamaha. They get too hot spinning so fast

Reactions: Dub

Gator89

Question for y’all - I need to take a trailer to WY with me on our elk hunt to bring coolers of meat home (thinking positive). I’m driving 3600 miles round trip from Atlanta to Cody in late September and my boys are flying out. I have a 5 x 8 utility trailer that I’d like to take, my only concern is that is has 12” tires. Do y’all see any issue towing a trailer with those small tires 3600 miles? It does have brand new tires (and a new spare) and I’m going to put new bearings in it before I leave. Thanks!

Rent a U Haul trailer.

Last edited:

menhadenman

I’m going out for elk myself. Plan on taking a trailer hitch caddy and if we need it, maybe rent a uhaul for return trip. We’ve got two elk tags and one deer tag to fill.

greg_n_clayton

I have to agree with not far ! Them little wheels will get hot hot ! New bearings or not ! You could say them little wheels would be equal to 5 or times the distance on your truck/car wheels !

3:02

BOW4UM

I travel 15hrs every year to KS with a 5x10. I changed tires to 15” and no worries. 12” = Nope!

Lilly001

Most of those small trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph at their rated load.
You can often upgrade the weight rating but those smaller trailer tires seldom have a high speed alternatives.
The idea of renting a U-haul, or similar, trailer after you figure out what size you need makes sense.
Pulling that trailer, at highway speeds, on your way out will cost you quite a few MPGs so the cost may be mitigated greatly.

thumper523

This is what we put on our 2500# light towers and pull them to Vegas, LA and Canada. Hubs are 5 on 4.5 and greased well. No issues. Don't buy Bias tires either.
ST185/80R13D/87.2″24.6″1,710 lbs65 psiM/81 mph

pjciii

If you plan on going thru Iowa or Minnesota your are going to have to repair your trailer before you get back. Those states have the worst roads because of pot holes and expansion from freezing and thawing. If you go up to Missouri turn left and out thru Nebraska and then up thru South Dakota and then turn left on I-90. You can cross over the Big Horn mountains. I have had great fortune to ride my motorcycle all over out there. I have put the bike on a trailer twice out and back and to Sturgis Motorcycle rally. But bottom line is avoid Iowa and Minnesota if you have a small single axel trailer.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
we just took a trailer full of stuff to Indiana. We rented a uhaul so we didn’t have to pull an empty trailer home

DannyW

I just googled uhaul trailers and a 5x8 is only $15 a day. I would just travel out there without one, and rent one for the return trip.

bassboy1

I just googled uhaul trailers and a 5x8 is only $15 a day. I would just travel out there without one, and rent one for the return trip.
One way rates vary greatly from daily rates. Can be cheap if you're taking a trailer to an area they need more, and can be incredibly expensive if you're taking them to an area they need fewer in.

Most of those small trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph at their rated load.
Many larger ones are, too. Go check your 13" and 15" tires. A couple of the name brands will be rated at 75 or 81, but many of them will be 65 mpg.

If it were me, I'd slap a set of 13" wheels and tires on the trailer you have, and run it.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Then he would have to buy new coolers while out there (provided they're as successful as he hopes), but if not.. then he doesn't need the coolers or trailer.

hopper

For the safety of yourself and others go ahead and upgrade your wheels and be done wid it.

ryanh487

Check the manufacturer specs for max speed. It would probably be fine under 60 mph but that's a long long drive at 60 mph. A tire upgrade would probably be worth it.

Tight Lines

Most everything has been said...I'd rent the enclosed UHaul for the trip and tow it out and back with my gear and coolers...if you get the dual axle enclosed one they tow well and are fairly cheap...when I've had to go to KS and back moving gear or furniture that's what I've done...if something goes wrong you can normally swap the trailer with another UHaul location...YMMV

MOTS

I'm like Milkman, go for it. Make sure you have a good jack and correct lug wrench. Walmart usually has the tire/wheel combo in stock if you have to use your spare. Not sure what type vehicle your driving but with a 2" receiver, a hitch haul rack might work.