Tiller Recommendations

sportsman94

Any one have a good tiller recommendation for a garden? Been using my tractor and a disk which is fine for the initial work up, but not great for in season turnover of a row or two at a time. I know the old Troy builts are the gold standard, but they seem to be few and far between. Thanks for any help

earlthegoat2

I rented a Honda from Home Depot a few years back.

We had a big and small TroyBilt for a 1/4 acre garden growing up.

The Honda was equivalent to the small Troy and worked just as good. I would recommend it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Honda makes great stuff, probably the best quality brand out there. I have a smaller front-tine Troybilt that works well for me.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
I have a Troy Bill RT that has done all I’ve asked it to

MOTS

I used a front tine Craftsman with a 5hp Briggs for 20 years replacing the tines twice because of wear. I only replaced the pull rope and gas lines on the engine and the usual oil and plug change intervals. Carb finally went bad and I gave it away. I notice that even bigger names such as Husqvarna are installing chinese engines. I'd try to avoid those. I have a 4ft on my tractor now I use but I'm seeing where I need to invest in another front tine for weed control once the plants get bigger.

B. White

No recommendations from me, but some info for a Champion rear tine I've had for about three years. I didn't use it a lot the first year, but when I ran it I shut the fuel off and let it go until it died and still ended up replacing the carb to get it running the next year. Took it off and cleaned it like with a ATV carb, but no help. It was less than $40 for a new one, but by the time it finally shipped I about forgot where every little spring and attaching pieces went when putting it back in. Nothing online I could find with a decent diagram. Didn't use it last year and did run it down a few rows this year when it was about to rain and I needed to hit all of them good and faster than I usually do with a wheel hoe. It did ok, but the belt squeals more than it should when going in reverse. Wheel hoe is easier on the body, so I'll continue to grab it first unless in the situation where I need to get a big area done before a rain.

I had a Sears rear tine about 30 years ago that never gave any trouble, but Sears and Craftsman products have changed a lot since then as I would assume has happened with all brands. I'd probably watch for anything old that someone is frustrated with that has sit too long or an estate sale, as long as there are still parts available.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I am using an Ariens front tone tiller I bought very used out of a pawnshop in the late eighties. It has been “Frankensteined” by me and son in law with handle bars off another garden plow called a plowhorse. It is on its fourth engine now and has new set of times. It’s the best tiller I’ve ever used and I’ve been through a lot over the past 65 years or so. I hope it’ll see me out.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I would recommend a rear tine tiller instead of a front tine. Get one that you can run the tines in reverse, so that they are cutting into the ground as the tiller moves forward. I ran across a Cub Cadet rear tine tiller a few years back that a woman bought it and never really used it. The controls were rigged all wrong, and you couldn't get the tines to disengage at all. I don't know if she screwed it up, or the big box store where she bought it screwed it up, but man, was it ever. I spent 2 or 3 hours redoing and readjusting the controls, and it has been flawless for me. I run Sta-bil in it and every time I get done using it, I shut the fuel off and let it run dry to kill the engine. When I am ready to use it again, I just cut on the fuel, wait a few seconds, choke it and I have never pulled it 3 times before it is running and ready to go. YMMV

Boondocks

A hooded sprayer is a lot better with roundup. Got one that mounts on the front of my 4 wheeler. Sprayed garden and many acres of fields spot spraying. Made the bracke to mount it to front rack.

Latest posts