Time to share

Hoss

So back when I first started cooking on an Akorn, I decided to make my own rubs. Family and everyone who has had my barbecued pork or brisket has really liked the flavor, so I figure it’s time to pass along the rub recipes. Hope you all enjoy them.

Butt rub

3 Tablespoons Brown sugar
3 Tablespoons Paprika (smoked)
1 Tablespoon Coarse salt (sea salt)
1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon Cocoa Chili Blend (McCormick cocoa chili blend or bakers cocoa and cayenne pepper 2 to 1 mix)
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
½ Teaspoon Ground mustard
½ Teaspoon Roasted ground cumin
¼ teaspoon Ground cloves
¼ Teaspoon Nutmeg

Brisket Rub
3 Tablespoons Bakers Cocoa
2 Tablespoons Coarse Salt (Sea salt)
1 TablespoonGround peppercorns
1 Tablespoon Paprika (smoked) (optional)
1 Tablespoon Garlic powder
1 Tablespoon Finely ground coffee
1 TeaspoonCayenne Pepper
1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
1 TeaspoonGround toasted coriander
1 TeaspoonGround toasted Juniper Berries

Toast coriander and juniper berries by heating in a skillet until you can smell their aroma and then grind. Small handheld coffee grinder works well.

Haven’t seen the McCormick cocoa chili blend in a long time. Also, looked for a cocoa rub back when I came up with these and couldn’t find one. Looked today and there are several available. I must have started a trend.

Hoss

Made up a fresh batch of brisket rub for a cook tomorrow. Let Mrs Hoss smell and she loved it. Tasted it and asked if there was cocoa in it. Told her yes and she said she couldn’t taste it, but wanted to put some on a salad. Gotta say the aroma was mighty good. Toasted coriander and juniper berries really add to it.73751AD9-CB37-47DA-8658-A432287B253F.jpeg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Thanks for sharing!!!