Too Hot to Argue.

JohnnyD

The methodology of ice cream churning has been the cause of many debates at my gatherings. The older folks talk about the superiority of the hand operated churn. Other reminisce about the plug in version with ice and rock salt providing the chill. Us younger ones have attachments for other machinery that get us the finished product.

Having used every single one of these variations thanks to having grandparents who made it in to their late 90s as well as experimenting with every new version that came along, I've decided I'll take good, homemade ice cream however I can get it. Convenience is a bonus.

I do prefer the custard version as this one is. Sweet milk and cream, good sugar, egg yolks, real vanilla beans. A little wild blackberry liqueur to top it off. Makes the weather a little less rage inducing.

Screenshot_20230813_103129_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20230813_134436_Instagram.jpgScreenshot_20230813_134803_Instagram.jpg

Duff

Yeah man!

specialk

i can remember our family get togethers they would have a wash tub full of ice with 2-3 metal containers and turn them by hand....also old worn our crank ones that the kids would take turns sitting on to keep the crank from coming off...

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
i can remember our family get togethers they would have a wash tub full of ice with 2-3 metal containers and turn them by hand....also old worn our crank ones that the kids would take turns sitting on to keep the crank from coming off...
Sounds familiar. Mama would get it ready and it was the kids job it crank it. My brothers mostly cranked and me and sister would sit on it.

Knotmuch

I prefer the electric churn. I can get it started and go watch tv or whatever. When it stops it's done.

Also, I will probably get flamed, but I also "cheat" by using a product called Junket. Yesterday I used the Vanilla and blended some fresh peaches and added it to the mixture. Turned out very good.

specialk

my son has a small table top unit, you keep the can in the freezer-it has some type gel inside, make up your cream recipe, put the can in the electric churn and in a few minutes you got ice cream..no ice or salt needed..not ours but this one is close....

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
my son has a small table top unit, you keep the can in the freezer-it has some type gel inside, make up your cream recipe, put the can in the electric churn and in a few minutes you got ice cream..no ice or salt needed..not ours but this one is close....

I was "gifted" one of those years ago, thanks for reminding me I need to dig it out and see if I can make it work. :rofl:

specialk

I was "gifted" one of those years ago, thanks for reminding me I need to dig it out and see if I can make it work. :rofl:
ill cook supper and he'll get that going and by the time we finish the cream is ready....enuff for both of us to have some the next night as well

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never thought about making ice cream with a Kitchenaid. The end product looks great!