Top sowing wheat in GA?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
we always drag over it with a piece of chain link fence. As long as it falls into the regular planting season, you are fine. Talk to your local ag agent to see what they recommend.

Mexican Squealer

10-4 ive been doing it that way for many moons but heard a fella saying today that GA has gone the way of Alabama and SC and is letting you top sow it without covering. Thanks for the response.

Jason Stringer

Alabama and SC can top sow from what I’ve read but I’m seeing Ga is still 9/1 on planting wheat and has to be covered.I hope they change it.

Jellyhead Joe

I called one of my local game wardens to ask him this same question. After looking up the date, he said that I couldn’t top sew wheat until September 15th. I live in Franklin County, your area may have a different date.

jakebuddy

I think that’s clear as mud, you can’t top sow with out effort to cover and northern and southern zones have different dates. Sure you can top sow to grow but not hunt over. Laws change all the time and until you see it written I would error on the side caution. Legal planting dates in the southern zone is Sept 15. Now, you can feed doves up until 10 days prior to it being hunted at which point it must be removed. If something has changed let’s see it writing.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Here's the official State position with relevant dates. Note: coastal is a region with a later date.
https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/d.../2017_Dove_Hunting_Agricultural_Practices.pdf

There are very narrow exceptions that permit top sowing without covering: 1. aerial sowing without covering over cotton fields before leaf drop. 2. erosion control in an area post mining reclamation on steep slopes. The recommendation is to check with DNR before hunting the above exceptions.

Last edited: