Toyota water leak

Chestnut

2000 model tundra v8 227,000 miles
runs good , not problem till a few days ago
check the water level and the over flow was low ,
radiator was replace a few months ago and level was fine
had Atlanta toyota do a pressure test and no leaks anywhere , water pump was fine no leaks
so we top it off and will check it everyday and see if it get to the low level again
they told me if it did leak back down , it was the head gasket??/:hair::hair:
running good , smooth , oil is clean , water is clean
just cant see how the head gasket is cracked or leaking
they were taking about air bubble or needed to be burped ?????
any one had this problem before
good or bad let me know
thanks chestnut

Lukikus2

Not sure on the 8's but on the 4's there is a elbow hose on the motor that gets overlooked. Also you may have a pin hole in a hose that doesn't leak until it's at running temp and going down the road. I sure wouldn't tear one down with no water in the oil or vice versa. Good luck

chadf

Keep an eye on your level and keep us posted.

Lukikus2

The burping is

When you replaced the radiator it drained the block. When fluid is put back in there will most always be a pocket of air in the block, hoses or heater element. The motor has to circulate enough to get rid of the air pocket. Burp. Then you will need to add more fluid. Maybe only once or a few times.

T-N-T

The burping is

When you replaced the radiator it drained the block. When fluid is put back in there will most always be a pocket of air in the block, hoses or heater element. The motor has to circulate enough to get rid of the air pocket. Burp. Then you will need to add more fluid. Maybe only once or a few times.

THis happened to me when I changed the motor in my jeep. Had an engine in the floor of my shop. ALL the water ran out. Put it in the jeep. Installed new radiator. New hoses and such. Filled it up. Cranked it and topped off.
Went down the road and it ran warm! Came back and it was low. Filled up. Down the road and warm! Came home and low!
Finally I "sloshed" it around enough to get the air pockets out. Now it is fine.

Also, I would think you might need to check it when it is Hot. As stated above.... Hot stuff expands and maybe you only have a leak then. Not when it is cold, you know when you Want to be poking your head around in there....

Chestnut

toyota

checking everyday cols and hot
level goes up and down in the overflow , only a 1/4 inch lower that monday ?????
oil and water still clean ,
could it take 2 months to ( blup) ?????
good one day and blam 3 inches low in about a week ???
did smell anitfreeze the other day , but still not leaks and it only lasted a few mintues
in floor is dry and no smells
stillthing its the water pump and atlanta toyota did;nt take the time to really check it out
up dates later
chestnut

Lukikus2

Your heater coil is leaking.

No fixing. Got to replace it. Typical Yota.

Just my 2 cents

Chestnut

leak

if its leaking out side ?? would I be able to see or find the leak
under the skid plate ????
chestnut

Lukikus2

On anti-freeze follow your nose. Still could be a hose. Got some duct tape in your truck? Them new hoses you pay for with a radiator fix may have not been new. Just sayin'

revrandyf

Due to an accident several years ago I had to have a new radiator installed in my truck. It was not a Toyota. I noticed it started running hot. Put coolant in, check for leaks - nothing. Finally took it back to the shop that had repaired the wreck damage and they discovered the "new" radiator had a pressure leak in a seam. The coolant leaked out and was condensed off before any leakage could be spotted. The only tell-tell sign was the coolant stain about halfway down the side of the radiator. Good luck with your problem.

ribber

My vote is head gasket. It's not always as easy as seeing water in the oil. My 94 ran kept running hot and I could never find the leak. Changed water pump, radiator, thermostat, radiator cap, etc. Refused to believe it was head gasket, which it was. The vapor may be burning out of the exhaust.

Chestnut

leak

found the leak this morning ( cold )
front of engine under the water pump was running down and puddle up , on the frame
guess the cold weather made the gasket drip over nite
any other time it was burning off the engine
will check again in the morning
got two quote's today local shop 886.00 for pressure test and new timing belt + water pump and theromstat

855.00 Toyota dealership
water pump alone was 520.00
thanks for the info
chestnut

jglenn

look online for the water pump.. RockAuto.com has always been a good place for me

1gr8bldr

found the leak this morning ( cold )
front of engine under the water pump was running down and puddle up , on the frame
guess the cold weather made the gasket drip over nite
any other time it was burning off the engine
will check again in the morning
got two quote's today local shop 886.00 for pressure test and new timing belt + water pump and theromstat

855.00 Toyota dealership
water pump alone was 520.00
thanks for the info
chestnut
Glad it was not your head gasket.

3ringer

The burping is

Exactly, drive it and don't worry unless you see steam or water leaking out.