Tractor Advice

deers2ward

I have a 22 yr old (pre DEF) tractor that only has 600 hrs on it. I have had it fully serviced 3X even though it has a 500 hr service interval, due to the years between services, and I'm guessing the person who took care of it before me serviced it several times too. Just got brand new front and back tires, and decals as well. Busted blinker lights, but otherwise the thing runs like a top and has tons of life ahead of it. The problem is it does not have a front end loader, and my dealer quoted me $12K to install one. Also, I'm in my mid 40s, and while I enjoy getting whipped with tree limbs and taking seed heads, grasshoppers, and dust in the face, I think it is time for a cab. The 3rd function with a root rake grapple will be a game changer, so I am looking at getting a new to me tractor before September.

My question: Should I sell the tractor I currently have and put whatever money I get for it towards the new one, or should I just keep it to reduce having to switch attachments so often? I don't have any sentimental attachment to it, but I also know what a cherry it is, and the cash I would get for it doesn't seem to go very far these days...I see lots of yards with multiple tractors sitting in them, and wondering if the older ones actually get used or not.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Im
I have a 22 yr old (pre DEF) tractor that only has 600 hrs on it. I have had it fully serviced 3X even though it has a 500 hr service interval, due to the years between services, and I'm guessing the person who took care of it before me serviced it several times too. Just got brand new front and back tires, and decals as well. Busted blinker lights, but otherwise the thing runs like a top and has tons of life ahead of it. The problem is it does not have a front end loader, and my dealer quoted me $12K to install one. Also, I'm in my mid 40s, and while I enjoy getting whipped with tree limbs and taking seed heads, grasshoppers, and dust in the face, I think it is time for a cab. The 3rd function with a root rake grapple will be a game changer, so I am looking at getting a new to me tractor before September.

My question: Should I sell the tractor I currently have and put whatever money I get for it towards the new one, or should I just keep it to reduce having to switch attachments so often? I don't have any sentimental attachment to it, but I also know what a cherry it is, and the cash I would get for it doesn't seem to go very far these days...I see lots of yards with multiple tractors sitting in them, and wondering if the older ones actually get used or not.
I’m with Milkman on this topic.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Ain't no new tractor gonna be built like your old one...Sad but true fact.

Hard to justify the extra cost of a newer cab tractor unless you are spending some serious time in the seat...

You can sell yours and get a comparable loader equipped tractor for less than 12k more money.

There are deals to be found, but you gotta be lookin', be quick, and have your finger on the trigger when you find one...

IMG_20210513_115640315.jpg

I sat on GO for about three months looking for what I wanted...

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
One other thing...I sold this to get my Kubota...

IMG_20210513_073908976.jpg

I ended up having to buy a new trailer as well, because the Kubota with loader and something on the back wouldn't quite safely fit on the trailer I had...

No biggie when I was buying, but trailers are STUPID expensive now...

Brim Hat

I would keep the older one just like everyone else has said. About two years ago I upgraded to a cab tractor, 75 h.p. case IH. I love it, we kept my dads old john deere and it still gets used.(in the garden, tight places in the woods, grading driveways ect.)

Kev

I say sell it to me lol.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt if you would get much for your old tractor, so I would keep it if you can afford to.
I also personally hate a cab on a tractor, and wouldn't want one unless maybe I was doing large-scale agriculture all day every day.

sleepr71

Cab tractors are nice…until you have to go in the woods/under limbs. Or..the A/C goes out….??. I’d keep the older tractor for those occasions & as a backup(if financially possible). Personally..I would not buy a new tractor..I’d find a gently used,low hour,older tractor. The less electronics & gadgets..the better?!