Treasure Island PCB - Update

slow motion

I think some people take their own bait on those party boats. So they have fresher bait or perhaps something different than they offer.

campboy

Get some frozen finger mullet from the bait store the day before you go out.
Mix up a brine of ice, water and kosher salt and soak them over night. It will toughen them up so they stay on the hook better.
Do you know of any bait shops in PCB?

slow motion

All good suggestions above. I would think if you could keep them alive some pinfish or ly/pogies might be productive. Not sure how much gear you can bring aboard so that may not be practical. Only fished a party boat once and I was guiding a scout troop aka herding cats.

slow motion

If you're staying close to one of the piers you can typically buy frozen bait there.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I would brine them in a water jug like this.
It would hold a couple dozen finger mullet.

1691771035704.png

Big7

The Oracle
Get some frozen finger mullet from the bait store the day before you go out.
Mix up a brine of ice, water and kosher salt and soak them over night. It will toughen them up so they stay on the hook better.
Definitely. I forgot about that and Ballyhoo. Ballyhoo is in the same basic family as Mackerel as well as Flying Fish. Very oily fish and they put out a lot of blood and scent oil.

Mullet, Ballyhoo, Horse Ballyhoo make excellent trolling rigs and cut bait too. I don't brine cut bait tho.

A very good way to brine bait, including fish and squid is to mix 8 1/2 pounds of ice (roughly 1 gallon of waters worth) of ice, 1 cup on non iodized salt and 8 ounces of baking soda. Stir all that real good in a smallish cooler and add the bait. If the bait is not completely submerged in the ice slurry, shake/mix them around every so often. Leave in solution 24 hours and you have perfectly brined bait.

PS.. You can use sea salt or pickling salt instead of non iodized table salt. Just use a tiny bit more than a cup.

Works like a charm and I have used this method in 3 oceans.

Last edited:

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
If you or him haven't been out on a head boat, take some Dramamine the night before and that morning before you depart. No greasy breakfast and watch the horizon. (y)
:bounce:

Latest posts