Last of the cherished

Bobby Bigtime

A couple days ago while making the 85 mile drive between homes, a coyote ran across the road. I pulled over quickly and jumped out of the truck and took aim with the model 28 (about 100 yards) and squeezed. The coyote jumped high and took off. When I got back in my wife said "you just couldn't help yourself?" A few minutes down the road, I was thinking about the shot and said aloud "oh no". It just dawned on me that I never switched ammo from camping last fall and burnt one of my few remaining black talons on that coyote. I took stock when I got home and found I am down to nineteen of those coveted treasures. I also found that only fifteen of my Eldorado Starfire's remain. They don't make anything comparable anymore and I doubt they ever will.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have some PMC Eldorado in .45. Like you, I am saving them....not sure why, but I am.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I may be able to dig you up some Super Vel if you think you need it
.45ACP is about the only ones I have left in Talons. The SXT I have are coated they just aren't in nickle cases.

Bobby Bigtime

I keep these two on hand for hiking and camping in the areas where dangerous creatures live and recreate. My experience with them when I hunted with handguns gave me confidence in them above all others. I have used a variety of other bullets but these have outshined the others.

krizia829

A couple days ago while making the 85 mile drive between homes, a coyote ran across the road. I pulled over quickly and jumped out of the truck and took aim with the model 28 (about 100 yards) and squeezed. The coyote jumped high and took off. When I got back in my wife said "you just couldn't help yourself?" A few minutes down the road, I was thinking about the shot and said aloud "oh no". It just dawned on me that I never switched ammo from camping last fall and burnt one of my few remaining black talons on that coyote. I took stock when I got home and found I am down to nineteen of those coveted treasures. I also found that only fifteen of my Eldorado Starfire's remain. They don't make anything comparable anymore and I doubt they ever will.
:LOL: I have like 5 or 6 boxes of black talons for my .40
I refuse to use them unless its for personal protection lol

Jester896

Senior Clown
Corbon makes some pretty good rounds. I keep the 185gr +P DPX staggered in the magazine with the .230s.

I have a hunting round for the .44RM called the Penetrater that they make got a very small exposed lead spot in the middle of the flat meplat...could use it in a rifle

bighonkinjeep

Tested some .45ACP SXT from a 4.25" barrel into several different media about 20 years ago. I wasn't impressed at all, in fact I was shocked at the poor performance VS the hype. I know they sure sold an awful lot of it but wonder how many others actually checked performance.
Virtually zero expansion and only slightly deformed noses.
My results revealed I might as well have been shooting hardball.
Immediately switched back to the Gold Dot flying ashtrays that I was 100% sure of.

01Foreman400

Staff member
What’s so special about the Black Talons that no other bullet can do?

ddavis1120

I second the Corbons; they are as hot as I want to shoot in a life or death situation where a followup shot may be necessary.

I have a couple of boxes of talons just like everyone else who was around in the early 90's and caught part of Patrick Moynihan's TV interview. That yankee was farcical.

Bobby Bigtime

What’s so special about the Black Talons that no other bullet can do?
In my experience with the black talons which includes about a dozen deer (both whitetail and mule deer) one antelope and a host of varmint and small game. I found them to exhibit excellent terminal performance, good expansion and the "talons" created an unmatched wound channel with plenty of tissue disruption and subsequent hemorrhage. I feel they deliver everything you could ask for a bullet to do. Now all that being said, I'm not saying no other bullets can equal their performance, I just personally haven't used them. The Eldorado Starfire offers similar attributes but in my experience is just a bit less tough. It is a good antelope bullet (one kill) and good on deer (three or four) and virtually perfect for the smaller stuff. I'm sure there are other good ones but I will surely miss them.

bighonkinjeep

In my experience with the black talons which includes about a dozen deer (both whitetail and mule deer) one antelope and a host of varmint and small game. I found them to exhibit excellent terminal performance, good expansion and the "talons" created an unmatched wound channel with plenty of tissue disruption and subsequent hemorrhage. I feel they deliver everything you could ask for a bullet to do. Now all that being said, I'm not saying no other bullets can equal their performance, I just personally haven't used them. The Eldorado Starfire offers similar attributes but in my experience is just a bit less tough. It is a good antelope bullet (one kill) and good on deer (three or four) and virtually perfect for the smaller stuff. I'm sure there are other good ones but I will surely miss them.
I'm not positive but Im guessing my poor performance results may have been due to the slow velocity of the 45ACP which didnt seem to be appropriately matched to the bullet design and jacket.
The saving grace, if there was one is, they still make a .45 cal hole.
I'm sure most suitable hunting rounds are moving a good bit faster than the 800-900 fps of the .45ACP.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have never seen rifle rounds...I guess the closest thing to it would be the newer Winchester Silvertips that I think have been discontinued now.

Dub

God forbid they keep making ammo that will kill someone dead in this day and age...

Thankfully Officer Acorn and his partner didn’t have Black Talons on their absurd shootout…..and I am sure cuz in the backseat of their ride was glad, too. Bigly glad.

Dub

Could you imagine how outraged AOC, Cori Bush, 8-Ball, Rashida, Ilhan Omar and her brother husband would be if the Black Talon was still around today ??????

Racist bullets.....they'd never shut up about it......then again, they never shut up period.

Image 46.jpeg

"The Squad". :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bobby Bigtime

I was working at a hardware store when all the stuff went down about these sinister "cop killers" and I quickly bought up everything they had, which was about 8 boxes and I quickly called the supplier and was able to get 4 more. I was sure glad I did. As a handgun hunter I was tickled they were putting out some really good stuff then the poop hit the propeller.

Reactions: Dub