Cleaned house last night

chrislibby88

My boss Sean invited me out to his land to shoot some pigs, so naturally, I obliged. They turned me loose on a narrow thick piece of land, with a private road down the one border and an impossibly thick marsh that’s choked out with saplings on the other side. I eased down the swamp edge until it pinched up closer to the road and I tiptoed into pigs about an hour before dark. I snuck a few more yards to get some clear shots, it is thick. Popped the first one in the ear, at maybe 30 yards, it dropped, swung to the next one, ear, bang drop. A smaller tan one started running and grunting and I swung on it, tried to keep a lead on the snout and shot when I came through a decent window, more started scattering and I followed them as they were running, and again squeezed when we came through a less thick window, watched a stick explode. Miss. I took a few more steps and more started trotting away through the thick. Squirrels were going crazy, birds were alarming but nothing else was moving. Immediately started a quick loop looking for blood, and found a few drops then spray every foot. Followed it for about 40 yards to the dead tan one. Drug it to the road, grabbed the other two and pulled them to the road, knocked the guts out real quick and started walking back to the truck and didn’t make it 50 yards before I heard some pigs snapping up acorns in the thick stuff. I crawled through some a vines on the edge of the road, came to a knee and see a pig at 20 yards, found the head, squeeze, it drops and starts kicking. Miraculously the pig next to it continues feeding like I didn’t just blow her bestie’s head off right next to her so I give her the same treatment. Drag them 10 yards to the road, and knock more guts out, walk back up a get the truck and have 5 pigs in the bed before dark.

Attachments

• IMG_6759.jpeg
    IMG_6759.jpeg
    523.6 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_6756.jpeg
    IMG_6756.jpeg
    596 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

chrislibby88

What are you shooting? Subsonic?
No. I only hunt with supers. This is a 6.8spc. I think I’m shooting 90gr SSA soft points.

Subs are just too dang slow and drop like a brick and I’m not entirely convinced they can get reliable expansion on them moving so slow. I’ve shot heavy 300black subs on the range before and you can see those things arcing through the air like an arrow at 100 yards when the sun is at the right angle.

Cmcharles

No. I only hunt with supers. This is a 6.8spc. I think I’m shooting 90gr SSA soft points.

Subs are just too dang slow and drop like a brick and I’m not entirely convinced they can get reliable expansion on them moving so slow. I’ve shot heavy 300black subs on the range before and you can see those things arcing through the air like an arrow at 100 yards when the sun is at the right angle.
I was curious. I have the 300AAC and subs are fun to shoot and super quiet but think they’re a 50 yard gun at best for a large target.

chrislibby88

I was curious. I have the 300AAC and subs are fun to shoot and super quiet but think they’re a 50 yard gun at best for a large target.
I know alot of folks hunt with them, just a bit of a gamble on bullet performance and it’s still loud enough to spook game- especially out of a semi auto. Just the action cycling on an AR is pretty loud, certainly loud enough to spook critters inside of 100 yards. I just don’t see the point. You are losing bullet performance for a few decibels.