Trolling motor quit working

Jasper

Was on Lanier yesterday when the trolling motor quit. My son said it was surging a little before it stopped. It's a 24v Motor Guide SV82. The batteries are good and fully charged. I pulled the power plug and did not get a voltage reading there. I don't know if there is an inline fuse but I did find 3 fuses coming off the batteries and they were all good. Is there a circuit breaker anywhere? Ideas on what to check? Boat is a 97 Gambler Outlaw. Thanks!

BoosterC

If you mean that you check with a voltmeter at the boat plug and it showed 0 volts, try continuity tests from battery ground and hot to the batteries' ground and hot side, respectively. The fuses should be located on the hot side, so you should see minimal resistance a good ground side.

Otherwise, Check the wiring in the foot pedal switch. Sometimes chaffing and heat can cause a break in the insulation and create a short.

Does it run in continuous mode?

Jasper

Got it! The circuit breaker at the battery had popped. How simple is that? Lesson learned for a new boat owner. :) thanks Booster!

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Got it! The circuit breaker at the battery had popped. How simple is that? Lesson learned for a new boat owner. :) thanks Booster!

That happened to me just from rough water. I was literally getting air and landing hard, the Gs, tripped the breaker.

riprap

Years ago I left the lake early because my TM was only working on 12v. I didn't even realize you could re set the breaker. Live and learn.

Eugene Stinson

Mine started tripping every time I ran it wide open. I could reset it but it would happen again. I found the breaker was weak and I replaced both of mine. That fixed it.