(UPDATED 5/20/22) I Need Your Advice Regarding Battery For Trolling Motor Usage

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I am in the process of cleaning up and upgrading my older 14 foot Monark aluminum fishing boat. I bought this boat new back in 1990's and added the old model Evinrude gas motor and I installed a Minn-Kota 565 trolling motor with the foot control on the front bow etc. This past week, I decided to take off the old model Evinrude 9.5 HP that is "a real senior citizen" by now also. I feel fairly sure that this trolling motor will probably NOT work.

I AM DOING THIS PROJECT TO GET IT UP TO CODE ETC AND I AM GOING TO GIVE IT TO MY DAUGHTER AND SON-IN-LAW as they live in Statesboro and love enjoying the outdoors totally away from most everyone else as a result of my Daughter catching this Covid back two years ago and very nearly died from it.

I just lost interest in doing anything with my boat and have not used it at all during the past 15 -1/2 years since my wife died. It has been parked in my backyard and somewhat covered.

Recently, I decided to clean it up and try to upgrade it some by having new seals and bearings installed on the axle and also new rims and new tires complete with spare installed along with new ropes for loading, anchors and handling etc I plan to also replace various trailer wiring and also within the boat itself to run lights and trolling motor etc.

I also have a Minn-Kota model 65 hand controlled (that is a real dinosaur) that hasn't been used during this period of time either. I very well may have to use the Model 65 for now if it will even work.

I need to buy a new battery (and also a new charger) for this project BUT I don't have a clue what brand, size, type, etc would be the best for this project. I looked at various types earlier today and I don't know what would be best....for now in even just testing to see if either one of these motors will work...but I've got to buy a battery to find out. THE MAIN USE FOR THIS BOAT WITH JUST A TROLLING MOTOR NOW WOULD BE FOR FISHING AT THE EVANS COUNTY PFA LOCATED IN CLAXTON. THIS PFA IS RESTRICTED TO USE ONLY TROLLING MOTORS AND THIS PFA HAS A TOTAL OF 372 ACRES THAT HAS THREE "LAKES" THAT EMCOMPASS 84 ACRES, 30 ACRES AND ALSO 8 ACRES. They also have a camping area on this property also. I have never seen it BUT my Daughter and SIL love visiting there very frequently as it is very well kept and is very clean over the entire area and they really enjoy fishing.

My big question is what kind of battery/size etc with the two posts on top with a heavy duty plastic handle attached. This boat will be using only a trolling motor for navigation and fishing. These lake/ponds are restricted for use with using trolling motors and paddles ONLY.

They go fishing most every weekend that weather is fine and this way, they could re-charge the battery on Friday night and go fishing as they normally fish on Saturdays and sometimes on Sundays as well. They could re-charge the battery before and after each fishing trip as they live in Statesboro so it is not too far to visit each weekend.

I would appreciate any advice that you may have regarding this project as I do need to try to get it done ASAP...before the fish die of "Old Age" according to my Daughter.

It turned out to be a wonderful FRIDAY for me. Thanks for your comments as I did get some things
accomplished before the end of today.

SEE UPDATE DOWN BELOW.......I DID GET SOME THINGS DONE !!!

Last edited:

ghadarits

You’re a good egg Eagle Eye444, Do you have another daughter?
All kidding aside I’ve had boats and trolling motors my entire adult life so I’ve tried a lot of batteries and so far I’ve been most impressed with the Optima brand. They’re a little pricey but I think their worth it. I can fish 12 to 16 hours in medium wind without a noticeable drop in the charge. Then they’ll recharge in 4 hours with a quality charger.

Fullnet2

You can get an interstate 27 dc at Academy sports for around $110.00.
I have been using one on my trolling motor for 2 yrs and it's still strong
. I do use it every week.
Good luck

BoosterC

You should get a DEEP Cycle marine battery. I would recommenent a grp 29 Everstart from Walmart. I have used them for twenty years on both my electric boat and bass boat. If you want to splurge (~$200-$250 on Amazon) and get a lithium battery. I would get a 50 or 60AH lithium. It would weigh about a 1/3 of the lead acid battery, but it will last a long time. You do need a special charger for lithium batteries.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStar...Battery-Group-Size-29DC-12V-845-MCA/20531543?

Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
You will need to decide what size trolling motor is going on the boat. 12volt or 24 volt motor before buying a battery. For the planned use of the boat a 12 volt setup would probably be best. By a separate battery for electronics. Today’s fish finders are voltage sensitive so any drop in voltage affects the performance and if one battery supplies all the power, as the day goes on the battery will start going down. Not to mention that connecting both together will cause interference with the electronics.

Rabun

Very nice of you setting them up like this! Sounds like the TM batt will be used a lot and potentially discharged significantly. I definitely recommend installing AGM batts for TM applications. They are more expensive than standard lead acid but will last much longer and recover from extreme discharge better than lead acid. Since lithium’s have hit
the market the AGM prices have come down although I have not priced any out recently in our “new normal” environment that has been thrust upon us. If the battery will transported on and off the boat than make sure you don’t get one too heavy…a concern with my old back. Shoot us pic of your finished product ??

Fishin & Hunting

I have always liked the EverStarts at Walmart. They have never done me wrong. Get a least five years out of them. Stay very far away from what BassPro sells.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Here is the UPDATE.

I made some headway today as I did buy an Interstate Deep Cycle Group 29/840 Marine Cranking Amps battery that also has a 2 year Replacement Warranty.

I brought it home and got it hooked up and tried both of my REALLY OLD trolling motors mentioned up above. I nearly had to change my drawers because even though neither of these trolling motors had been used during the past 15 years, BOTH of them STILL ACTUALLY WORKED. My neighbor helped me hook up everything on this new battery this morning but it was still on the old wiring to see if it would work. When we turned on the small motor first and tried it, we were both surprised that it still worked at all. Then we hooked up the heavier duty foot-controlled Minn-Kota 565 and it also worked.

All of this was connected up to the old existing wiring that is now over 20-25 years old as well BUT it performed great. However, I will be removing and replacing the old wiring hook-ups with new heavier wire into the moisture resistant box-type hook-up within the next few days hopefully.

This progress was a wonderful relief and I couldn't help but smile as I looked to the heavens and wished my late wife what would have been her 68th birthday today. Even though she departed this earth on December 9, 2006, OUR love for each other, never goes away !!! I am just blessed that we have a wonderful Daughter that is married to an awesome guy who is more like a son to me rather than a Son-in-law. :lovey::lovey:

Thanks for the helpful messages from several of you in assisting me on this endeavor.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Congratulations on the successfull project, I know the "kids" will enjoy it.

Fullnet2

Congrats on your project.
I don’t mean to insult your intelligence but please remind your son in law to charge the battery as soon as possible after each use.