How do you run your electronics?

Lilly001

I’m currently rigging a new to me boat for river fishing.
I have a starter battery for the engine and will get a deep cycle for the trolling motor.
My question is should I run a smaller DS for the electronics?
Or can I run off of the trolling motor battery w/o to much interference?

Reactions: ggg

GTMODawg

BANNED
Cranking battery or separate battery. I ran into this back in early February and Lowrance told me and I didn't want to do it because I don't like using the cranking battery for anything other than cranking but it fixed all of my ills. I have three batteries and can change the configuration with a pair of pliers if the cranking battery doesn't start....if all 3 of them are dead I will back up and punt LOL.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Several marine suppliers make battery switches for 2 or 3 batteries so that you can switch between them in case you need to run them in parallel to increase amp hour capabilities.

GTMODawg

BANNED
Several marine suppliers make battery switches for 2 or 3 batteries so that you can switch between them in case you need to run them in parallel to increase amp hour capabilities.

I am kind of regretting not using one. I have redone several boats in the past including my current one and I have either eliminated the switch or did not install one but they do have a useful function. I am seriously considering converting my current tiller boat to a center console and if I do I will probably install one. I just finished completing the tiller boat last winter and it is wide open because I used it to duck hunt but since returning home I have about decided duck hunting may be something I used to do LOL. Love a CC and a T top for fishing though and my hull is perfect for it.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I am kind of regretting not using one. I have redone several boats in the past including my current one and I have either eliminated the switch or did not install one but they do have a useful function. I am seriously considering converting my current tiller boat to a center console and if I do I will probably install one. I just finished completing the tiller boat last winter and it is wide open because I used it to duck hunt but since returning home I have about decided duck hunting may be something I used to do LOL. Love a CC and a T top for fishing though and my hull is perfect for it.
I started rewiring my boat 2 years ago and got sidetracked and am finally starting up again after being sidelined last summer. I'm going to install 2 batteries with a battery switch. I need to find somebody in middle Georgia who's good at wiring like this because I'm an educated amateur and I am not confident in my ability to do it clean and right the first time.

Lilly001

So as I read the consensus it’s OK to run my electronics off of the starter battery?
That would seem to make sense.
The only issue would be running the starter battery down. But a jump from the trolling battery would solve that.
Thanks for the replies.

ggg

I have a starter battery for the engine and will get a deep cycle for the trolling motor.
Or can I run off of the trolling motor battery w/o to much interference
Or can I run off of the trolling motor battery w/o to much interference?[/QUOTE
Or can I run off of the trolling motor battery w/o to much interference?
Just for insurance, use shielded wire or separate electronics wiring from other wiring. You
]

GTMODawg

BANNED
Your best bet is to run electronics on a separate battery. Period

This is the gospel truth. If possible there is no substitute. If you are going to invest $10K or more in fish finding technology another battery and charger is a small price to ensure proper function.

littlejon

I run mine to the terminal box. I ran two birds with no issues. Replaced my bow bird with a Garmin and now when I hit the trolling motor interference shows up on the Garmin. I might just run a separate battery as stated above.