Trolling Motor

61BelAir

I bought my first boat a year ago this month and I've really enjoyed it despite several minor issues. The most ongoing one has been trolling motor trouble.

Before buying the boat (1992 model) we took it out for a test run and had no problems. On our first time taking it out, the steering cable for the trolling motor broke and the next time the directional arrow flew off the cover.

A co-worker sold me his old 12v Motorguide and I have ran it for the better part of the year, but it had began giving intermediate trouble and wasn't really strong enough for a 20' boat. It has some kind of shortage so that the motor only runs with the pedal pushed all the way down...either heel or toe. So it only goes if you've got the steering full lock. :confused: I don't see any burnt or chaffed wires under the pedal or top cover.

I bought a new steering cable and top cover to replace the missing indicator on the original Johnson/OMC 24v motor at about $70 each. I put it back on and took the boat out today and now another cable has broken. This time it's a big braided steel cable that keeps the shaft vertical when the trolling motor is down. Hit the power button and it will fly all over the place. :O I looked at some other motors and they don't seem to have the same type setup. I don't know whether I should look into finding a replacement cable or buying a new motor.

Do any of you have an old OMC /Johnson trolling motor laying around for parts? How about a good 24v foot controlled trolling motor that you took off to upgrade to the new fancy stuff?? (Ipilot, spot-lock, wireless, Bluetooth, etc.) I'm not asking for a handout. I'd be happy to pay a more than fair price for a good one.

Otherwise I'm looking at a Minn Kota 24v - 65 lb. Thrust for $500 from BPS. It's currently on Backorder and is a BPS "exclusive" so I don't know when they'll get more. The reviews are better than all the others I looked at. That's about my max budget for a solution. Really it's beyond my budget, but you know how that goes.

As usual thanks in advance for any advice and for reading all this.

TroyBoy30

I’ve got a like new 80# 24v fortrex I need to get rid of. I’ll cut you a deal if I don’t have to ship it

Papa Bear

I have a brand new Minn Kota V2 55 lb with foot and handheld controls be glad to discuss if interested. It was on my boat when purchased and never used other than testing out the boat. PM if interested

StriperrHunterr

I have a Riptide SP70 with copilot hand control that I'm looking to sell. 24v 70lb thrust and can get my skiff moving very well. PM as well if interested.