Question -Broken foot pedal on trolling motor

Benito

Hey Folks-Hoping y’all can point me in the right direction…..In short, I have a Motor Guide foot-pedal controlled trolling motor in front of my boat. As I was steering it with my foot, all of a sudden the foot pedal went “loose”, meaning it’s no longer tight and when I press it up/down it doesn’t turn the motor at all (Usually the pedal is “tight” and my foot moves up/down to steer the motor)

The motor still works fine, but to turn it I have to manually grab the actual motor and turn.

Any thoughts on how to fix/what happened? I didn’t ram into anything, nothing wrong seemed to happen, just all of a sudden the pedal went completely loose and no longer moves the motor.

Any help on how to fix is greatly appreciated- thanks!!

Ben

GTMODawg

BANNED
Sounds like the steering cable broke, probably where it attaches at the foot or the motor. Assuming it is a cable steer and not electrical steer type.....the description sounds like cable drive.

Should be a relatively easy fix if the cable ain't broke. May take some jerry rigging but may have just worked loose. If the cable is broke it ain't a hard fix if you can find the cable or one that will work.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Either the cable broke or jumped the track on the pulley.

BoosterC

Ditto above. If not off at the pedal, then look in the head to make sure the cable is in the track and gears are meshed.

little rascal

Turn the foot pedal upside down, should be a wire cable, a small pulley, and a cable adjustment screw to keep cable snug. The cables will stretch after a while. If the cable is not broken, u should be able to loosen the cable with adjustment screw, put it back on the pulley and snug it up. Don't get it too tight.