Thoughts on trolling motor light kit?

chriswkbrd

I wanted to see if anyone has used one of RIGID's Trolling Motor Mount Light Kit PRO, and what are your thoughts?

My initial thought is no. I feel like it's better to use a handheld spotlight then something that is fixed. That way, you have control over where you are looking. Second, nothing ****es me off more that someone replacing their headlights, slapping in some HID kit (or whatever), and driving off down the road. Those lights have to be adjusted, if not, you're blinding oncoming drivers!

I feel like Rigid's lights would do the same thing. Last thing I want to do is blind an oncoming boat. Of course, I could turn it off if a boat was coming, but then I wouldn't be able to see anything. At least with a handheld, I could shine it away from the oncoming boat.

Anyway, I could be wrong, so that's why I'm here asking. I wanna hear your 2 cents...

fishmonger

I think it might be illegal to drive a boat underway at night with forward facing lights for the exact reason you hate the HID lights on the road.

chriswkbrd

I can see how it looks like a great idea, but it doesn't make any sense to me. I was hoping someone would correct me if I was wrong but I probably came off as combative, which I didn't me to. Lol

Liquid nails

I run a 52” light bar on my t-top. I like to fish a lot at night. I’m normally running back down the lake well after midnight. Most of the ramps that is safe to leave your truck at is a good ways away from where I like to fish. One place we run 35mins from the ramp to get back. Just plane the boat out and cruise. Normally 25-30mph at night. Obvious I’m careful if opposing boat is headed my way. Those boys get all bent out of shape in the ocean of running a bar. In a freshwater lake like we fish I don’t see an issue. You can spot a Pepsi bottle over a mile away.

chriswkbrd

View attachment 1185067
Make the chickens start crowing.

Hahaha, I bet! Blinded by the light...

Obviously, there's a responsible way of doing it, I just don't have a lot of faith will all of the idiots out there. Then again, typically the boat traffic at night is a fraction of during the day, unless there is a night tourney. Anywho, I'm probably over thinking it, especially since I haven't take the boat out at night yet.

Thanks for you both for your input.

fishmonger

View attachment 1185067

You would blind someone with that light bar long before you see them. It's really not cool to run with that on. I have done more reading, and it is widely agreed that a docking light is OK for that function, but that running with it, or any other front facing lights, is a big no-no. I have not been able to find any laws in GA pertaining to this, but I haven't looked very hard either.

Liquid nails

Go back and read one of my post from earlier this year when me and my son was on Lanier just above the 53 bridge. Came around a corner and there was a Jon boat sitting in the middle of the channel with no nav lights on. Between the bridge and the marina. Now, if I would have been under way with just my nav lights on would I have hit them. Yes. That light saved a couple folks that night. I politely slowed down and asked them if they needed help. They were headed back to their dock.

I use my bar responsibly. I will use it in hopes to save my life and others.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Here's a hypothetical question:

Bass tournament at night. Bass boats zipping up and down the lake with only nav lights on. Kayaker sitting in the middle of the lake with no lights whatsoever. Bass boats runs over kayak. Who's legally at fault?

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Here's a hypothetical question:

Bass tournament at night. Bass boats zipping up and down the lake with only nav lights on. Kayaker sitting in the middle of the lake with no lights whatsoever. Bass boats runs over kayak. Who's legally at fault?

Both idiots, Kayak should have a light on his locator flagpole. Bass boat shouldn't be running any faster than his visibility allows him to react.

fishmonger

Go back and read one of my post from earlier this year when me and my son was on Lanier just above the 53 bridge. Came around a corner and there was a Jon boat sitting in the middle of the channel with no nav lights on. Between the bridge and the marina. Now, if I would have been under way with just my nav lights on would I have hit them. Yes. That light saved a couple folks that night. I politely slowed down and asked them if they needed help. They were headed back to their dock.

I use my bar responsibly. I will use it in hopes to save my life and others.

Well, that was a good night for them, but you have used a very specific situation to justify something that is generally considered a no-no. As someone posted above, a person shouldn't be running faster than they can see and react to avoid something, so if your lights were off and you were running that speed, not at your higher lightbar speed, you still should have been able to avoid them.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Well, that was a good night for them, but you have used a very specific situation to justify something that is generally considered a no-no. As someone posted above, a person shouldn't be running faster than they can see and react to avoid something, so if your lights were off and you were running that speed, not at your higher lightbar speed, you still should have been able to avoid them.

My point being running wide open in the dark with limited lighting and assuming no one is there is negligent. Being on the water in a yak at night without a light is negligent.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
... the minimum kayak navigation light required under Rule 25 by U.S.C.G. is "an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
... the minimum kayak navigation light required under Rule 25 by U.S.C.G. is "an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

A visa pole is a great yak investment, day or night.

20698CFF-F696-4FBA-B406-B9ADFCA48F97.jpeg

Jdmb123

Where we duck hunt, a hundred plus boats a morning run with light bars from 4am to daylight. you would be dead if you didn’t. When I fish tournaments, I feel crazy not using a light bar like we have for years in the duck woods. I think everyone should be running one it would be much safer than a green and red skittle on the bow and a candlelight on the stern. So what if you have to squint a little, at least you saw him coming around the bend.

fishmonger

I assume there is no argument about red, green, and white navigation lights. Here is the law on other lights

O.C.G.A. 52-7-11 (2010)
52-7-11. Lights

(e) Other lights. During the hours of darkness or low visibility, no other lights which may be mistaken for those prescribed shall be exhibited.

I don't imagine that anybody would mistake a light bar or a headlight for a nav light, so you can have at it, legally. Myself, I am sticking to good old night vision, because honestly, it is pretty rare that it is too dark to see on the lake once your eyes are adjusted to the dark.

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I run a stick steer and fish almost always at night. But I hate the cruising part. I run about 15mph and run a makita spotlight with my power tool batteries. Also put in at whichever ramp is closest to my holes. At my lake- unforseen shallow spots, floating trees, barely visible antique channel bouys that somehow the corps is busy not maintaing- all of those things make it spooky for me. No chance I'd be willing to mount a permenant light. I do the sweeping and turning on and off method.

Liquid nails

Think a light bar is bright you better be upset at all the bow fishing guys running (15) 1000 watt lights all around the boat. There’s several tournaments on Russell every year. Had those guys all over us and never was an issue. And yes they run the lake with all of them on.

If you can see a half submerged floating tree or a Jon boat with no navigation lights on on a new moon with cloudy skies you are better than me and most. Most guys don’t understand how dangerous a lake is after dark. Most don’t fish after the sun goes down. Never seen a new article where 2 boats hit each other on the lake because lights were too bright.