Trout Day

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Had a great day today, probably netted 4 limits for kids that weren't mine.

Here's mine, largest was 4 pounds 15 oz, caught my last one after the pic...went from 55 and rain to 31 and snowing.
20240323_173340.jpg

Dr. Strangelove

Very nice - look like a grill or frying pan will be very happy soon! Those first two would be good baked!

Last edited:

WOODIE13

Very nice - look like a grill or frying pan will be very happy soon! Those first too would be good baked!
Probably going to smoke and can or just can.

Neighbor has MS and loves trout, so she'll get one.

Missing from the pic is a 3 pounder I caught dark.

Appreciate it

Dr. Strangelove

Probably going to smoke and can or just can.

Neighbor has MS and loves trout, so she'll get one.

Missing from the pic is a 3 pounder I caught dark.

Appreciate it
How do you can trout? I'm planning on bringing home some of the 100 5lb+ trout that are being stocked for the Helen Trout Tournament this upcoming Saturday.

WOODIE13

How do you can trout? I'm planning on bringing home some of the 100 5lb+ trout that are being stocked for the Helen Trout Tournament this upcoming Saturday.
Just clean them, take head, fin and tails off. Next you cut them across the backbone, @ 2 to 3" wide, pack into sanitized jars, remove all air bubbles, add salt, seasoning and a tsp of vinegar. Then wipe lid with a paper towel with vinegar, boil your flats, put them on and snug your rings down. I don't add any liquid and give it 1" headspace from the lid to keep from siphoning or not sealing.

Place in pressure canner for 100 minutes at #10 pressure if below 1K ft elevation or #15 if above it. Let cool on it's own. Quarts or 1/2 quarts is what I used.

Bones disintegrate, just like canned mackerel or salmon.20220415_075803.jpg

Last edited:

WOODIE13

Some will also smoke it before they can it

Dr. Strangelove

Thanks! I plan to do some this season, I imagine I'll smoke mine first.

WOODIE13

Makes some great cakes like salmon or mackerel, also done it in a salad like tuna

Shadow11

Nice!

Never tried canning them myself. I used to catch quite a few of 3-5 lbrs like the top one a few yrs ago in nega. The fly guys from ATL(we use a different name for them around here...inappropriate) have taken it over now, and all they do is stand in the middle of the good holes and scare them off. We still can catch a few now days, after they leave. Not like the good old days though.

I need to get a new smoker. One of my favorite things with the bigger ones was to gut em, soak in salt water (brine), stuff the bellies with lemon, garlic, pepper, and butter, hold the belly open with toothpicks, then put in smoker for a few hours. Can't beat frying, but very good and probably a lil healthier than frying.

deermaster13

Very interesting. I've wondered how they would can. I catch alot of dough bellies in Cherokee and thought about trying to can them as I love canned salmon. Good day fishing for you as well those are some nice fish.

WOODIE13

Saves a lot of freezer space, usually freeze the smaller ones.

WOODIE13

Getting ready to do them up and can them tonight. I'll take a few pics and share if you want of the process.

20240325_205401.jpg

WOODIE13

The cut20240325_212501.jpg

Packed
20240325_214208.jpg

Salt, spices and vinegar
20240325_214516.jpg

Rest is pretty simple. Canner is heating up.

Probably the most pink trout I've ever seen.