Trout fishing North Ga

Camo Turtle

I have never trout fished before, but looking to start. I dont want to fly fish. So here is my question, what tackle do i need to get started? I will need to buy everything. I already saltwater and freshwater fish (bass, bream, cat, etc)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Light action 7' spinning rod combo spooled up with 4-6 lb. test mono, and a few Mepps Aglia and Blue Fox Super Vibrax gold-bladed spinners with plain trebles in size #1 is all you need to catch all the trout you want.

Camo Turtle

Light action 7' spinning rod combo spooled up with 4-6 lb. test mono, and a few Mepps Aglia and Blue Fox Super Vibrax gold-bladed spinners with plain trebles in size #1 is all you need to catch all the trout you want.
For some reason i thought i needed a shorter rod than a 7'. Thanks for the info

Browniez

For some reason i thought i needed a shorter rod than a 7'. Thanks for the info

Just depends what trout you are after. I throw 7 to 7’9” rods running 30 pound braid and 17 lb leader. Don’t expect much action if you take that route though.

Camo Turtle

Just depends what trout you are after. I throw 7 to 7’9” rods running 30 pound braid and 17 lb leader. Don’t expect much action if you take that route though.
Freshwater up in north Ga

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hate a short rod for any kind of fishing. Too had to control your line. I try to get 7' even in ultralight spinning rods. That's just personal preference, some folks may have a different opinion. About any rod that you use for crappie or bream or throwing light lures for bass will work.

I'm talking about general trout fishing, by the way. As Browniez said above, if you're exclusively throwing big lures like #11 Rapalas or swimbaits for giant browns in big water, heavy bass gear may be in order. But, I've caught plenty of trout over 20" on light spinning gear.

Camo Turtle

I hate a short rod for any kind of fishing. Too had to control your line. I try to get 7' even in ultralight spinning rods. That's just personal preference, some folks may have a different opinion. About any rod that you use for crappie or bream or throwing light lures for bass will work.

I'm talking about general trout fishing, by the way. As Browniez said above, if you're exclusively throwing big lures like #11 Rapalas or swimbaits for giant browns in big water, heavy bass gear may be in order. But, I've caught plenty of trout over 20" on light spinning gear.
For bass fishing i dont anything shorter than 7'. So i understand.

Browniez

Freshwater up in north Ga

Yeah that’s what’s I meant. Headhunting big ones on the tailwaters or chasing creek trout. Vastly different applications and gear.

You can pretty easy kill a big trout with too light a gear, especially with higher water temps. I watch some of the fly crowd do it frequently chasing big ones with 11 foot 3 wts

Teh Wicked

I use a 6'0" UL rod for all things trout in the area and I absolutely drop the hammer on them with it. Paired up with a small Shimano reel and 6lb Flouro line its a deadly little combo I can throw anywhere.

Coenen

Spin fishing, for me, it's a 6'5" Med-Light BPS Microlite rod and a 200 size reel spooled with 4lb or 6lb line. It'll sling an 1/8oz spinner or CD5 Rapala with no issues, and will give you a ton of line pickup to keep a lure running true in fast current. It's also still stout enough to give you a chance against a bigger fish.

The same setup(with 8lb line) does double duty for me bass fishing weightless plastics and drop-shotting. I've even used it to pitch small plastics and live baits to schooling stripers.