Turkey Quota Hunt

Gentleman4561

I have been saving points for a while, and have 6 now.

I killed my first bird last year (Jake) on a friends private land and really want to give turkey hunting another go.

Based on how many priority points I have, it looks I should be able to draw any of the quota hunts based on the 2019 DNR data (https://georgiawildlife.com/sites/default/files/wrd/pdf/quota/Turkey 2019 Lottery Odds.pdf) couldn’t find anything newer than 2019.

I live in Forsyth County, so I can always head a bit north and hunt Cohutta, CNF etc. if the quota hunts aren’t worth the drive. I have hunted CNF quite a bit for deer and bear, love it up there.

Just curious where y’all would apply if you had the points? Any particular quota hunts that are top notch?

New to all this and still learning, thank y’all!

Last edited:

Gentleman4561

Thank y’all, I’ll take a look at those two!

sportsman94

Definitely depends on your time and energy. If you have the ability to go up for the length of the quota hunt and camp and hunt I’d go somewhere good. If you can’t, pick something close to home. It allows you to do more scouting, find the birds, and hunt for a week versus a weekend. I always go with one close to home so I can hunt it every day and scout some before hand. Good luck!

i would gain several more years of Turkey hunting experience on both private and public land and keep adding points unless you can find someone to accompany you who has a very good history on said piece of land you will be putting in points to hunt on. Not trying to discourage you from trying if you wish to just be realistic and realize having only killed a Jake on private you will be up against some very stiff competition. Good luck this season

Gentleman4561

i would gain several more years of Turkey hunting experience on both private and public land and keep adding points unless you can find someone to accompany you who has a very good history on said piece of land you will be putting in points to hunt on. Not trying to discourage you from trying if you wish to just be realistic and realize having only killed a Jake on private you will be up against some very stiff competition. Good luck this season
Thanks! That makes sense, I have a lot of public land not too far from my house (CNF) so I might as well keep putting in work there before using up my points.

sportsman94

Do you have any close to you that just take one or two points? I think there’s a benefit to the quota hunts even as a new hunter. At least around me the general hunts are pretty dang crowded. You will get messed up by other people regularly. While you aren’t guaranteed to have a better experience on a quota hunt, I’ve had far less problems with other folks when there are a limited amount of people allowed. I also think you can achieve significantly more success if you can hunt unpressured birds. I think your best bet would be to go on a hunt where less people are likely to pressure the birds. All of my experience is middle ga wmas that have so many roads you can’t get away from pressure. You may have better luck where you re on the general hunts

Latest posts