Turtlebug and Bug slay Weed Bingham

turtlebug

Well, not really, but I got your attention didn't I?
1frech11.gif

Well, I'm gonna be honest with you folks before I start this story of tiny fish, heavy wind and an impatient 13 year old, my fishing stories for the next few weeks probably won't be great or typical Turtlebug fashion and here's why. On Wednesday of last week, while talking with Miss Rhonda at work, I noticed a little spot on my arm, looked like an ant bite. Veddy Interesting I thought. Probably from playing with the dogs Tuesday evening. By Thursday morning, it was much bigger and had about a quarter sized raised red and hot ring around it. I've been whining 'bout my gall bladder so I just figured it was nothing. On Friday morning, the size of the red circle had spred to about six inches all around the center. Now this had me worried, especially when my entire arm was aching and I had a fever. I let the pathologist at work look at it and he told me to take my behind to the Doc ASAP. As my luck would have it, my Dr.'s answering service informed me he was out of town. :rolleyes: I went to a walk-in clinic with a Dr. I know and trust. Two injections, three pills and three prescriptions later, the diagnosis is either a spider bite or a tick bite and I need to keep an eye open for the tell-tale "Bullseye" and joint pain and more fever which is not something I'm happy about because what he was getting at was Lyme disease. :( Doc warned me that the meds were going to make me feel worse than the wound itself. Either way, the redness and hottness has subsided a bit, but the hole is getting a bit bigger and nasty looking so other than being scared of it being a Brown Recluse bite or a tick bite, the meds have me feeling quite "rough" and lazy so this wasn't the best planned fishing trip or the most productive, but I did spend a couple of hours with my son so that in itself was way worth it. Disclaimer, I don't wanna hear nothing 'bout my arm. :) :smash:

On to the story.

I did not wake up at the crack of dawn as planned. I got up around 9am and let the kids sleep. I fixed some muffins and we sat around and watched a few movies. I felt so bad, Harley kept giving me that "MOM" look. Mr. Turtlebug said he'd take him fishing but it was obvious he wanted to go with mom so I asked him if we could wait til this afternoon and he agreed. We talked about going somewhere new, but I didn't feel like getting myself into an unfamiliar situation so I told him how about we try Reed Bingham. He's never been so he said okay.

I checked the fridge and gathered all the baits, told him to limit himself to two rods and just my tackle bag. We left and headed up to Adel. We paid our $3 parking fee and proceeded to the little fishing dock by the dam. It was breezy and nice. We grabbed everything and walked down there, looked around and I said "Harley, where's the bait?" :confused: "I thought you got it mom" :huh:.

I FORGOT THE BAIT, left it sitting on the bottom shelf of the fridge! :banginghe Luckily, my son is a firm believer in catching fish on Gnautley Chicken Dogs and had grabbed a pack, that he had already cut up and put in a container. Smart kid! :banana: Looked around and found a bar of Zote in my 370 so as far as we were concerned, we were in business!!

We were at the dam and we had Zote so we KNEW we were in catfish heaven so we each took a rod and sank some Zote to the bottom and let them sit.
bythedam.jpg

Harley put a hot dog on his other rod and I was crankin one of the Bitsy Minnows that Strike King sent me to try.
Harley got a little camera happy.....
smilemom.jpg

Well, the Bug started getting hits on his hot dog, so he braced for "THE BIG ONE" to hit. Alas, his "BIG ONE" turned out to be nothing more than baby panfish playing around. My son, being a 13 year old boy, forgot to put the lid back on the hotdogs and all of a sudden, I see the hot dog container lid floating by. I cleared my throat and gave him "THE LOOK" and he was like "WHAT, WHAT, What did I do?" I told him to find a way to fish it out and gave him that talk about littering and preservation. He's a good kid so he took his hot dog off and started trying to hook it. This kid goes to screaming and I turned around and he had a nice sized yellow-bellied-some-kind-of-panfish (I didn't have enough time to look at it) snagged in the side! I picked up the camera and right before I snapped the picture, the fish flipped off of the hook and made one sommersault on the metal dock and straight back into the water he went. Words cannot describe the silence between us and the words that I'm so certain were zooming through his brain that he would not dare utter in his mother's presence, so here's a picture of that moment for your enjoyment.
wherethefishmom.jpg

Harley asked for the camera after that. I gave it to him and turned back around and started crankin' again. He later told me when I downloaded these pics that the back of my shirt said exactly what he was thinking when he watched that fish jump right back into the water.
shirtmeansnothing.jpg

Well, we didn't get many bites, I told him lets' pull it all in and head home. I thought my Zote felt a little heavy at first and quite bumpy to reel in, so Harley commemorated the moment by trying to make me feel good and let me know that I did actually catch "something", just nothing that I really wanted.
whattheheck.jpg

We got a good laugh, had a good time talking and joking around. But not nearly as good of a laugh as when we left the park. We came in one way and left another. Right after we passed the Catfish House (wishing it had been open for business this evening), Harley started laughing and hollered "MOM!!! STOP, you gotta take a picture of this sign". I rolled outta the Suburban laughing so hard I couldn't hardly take the pic.

I guess this guy got pretty tired of rude people throwing garbage on his property. HHHmmmm, Hair and teeth, that's pretty mild if you ask me!
allinthesign.jpg

Last edited:

Lostoutlaw

Good story and glad ya'll had fun, Now get dat arm fixed up gee I hate Brown Recluse they are really nasssy looken

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
the one good thing about a spider bite turtlebug, if a chunk of your arm falls out, you won't have to worry about not having bait!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: seriously, hope ya get to feelin' better and thanks for sharing your adventure and pics with us!!!

turtlebug

the one good thing about a spider bite turtlebug, if a chunk of your arm falls out, you won't have to worry about not having bait!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl: seriously, hope ya get to feelin' better and thanks for sharing your adventure and pics with us!!!

Feral, you and Priveye are of one mind aren't you?

thROTFLYellow.gif

one_shot_no_mor

Thanks for sharing...

Thanks TB! Nice shots and good story!!:banana::banana:
Sorry to hear about your latest misfortune...said a little prayer for ya!:bounce::bounce:

:offtopic::offtopic:Why does your cat look like she's watching her brother in the front-loader washing machine?????:offtopic::offtopic:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Fishin' Story

"Words cannot describe the silence between us and the words that I'm so certain were zooming through his brain that he would not dare udder in his mother's presence, so here's a picture of that moment for your enjoyment".
TBug: It is well known that you are a very knowledgeable fisherperson as well as a very good storyteller.

It is not so well known (until you revealed it) that you are a little lax when it comes to proofreading.

You should know that "udder" is defined, (as shown by Wickipedia), as the mammary organ of female cattle and some other mammals, including goats and sheep.

Inasmuch as you were ailing we will forgive you this time.

turtlebug

It is not so well known (until you revealed it) that you are a little lax when it comes to proofreading.

You should know that "udder" is defined, (as shown by Wickipedia), as the mammary organ of female cattle and some other mammals, including goats and sheep.

Inasmuch as you were ailing we will forgive you this time.

Where's a proofreading problem???
emoticons.jpg

Okay, sorry about that, I fixed it. That probably came from the conversation that I was having with my mother on the phone while typing that and she made a rude reference to some woman she knows as a female cow, hence the udders............:bounce:

turtlebug

:offtopic::offtopic:Why does your cat look like she's watching her brother in the front-loader washing machine?????:offtopic::offtopic:

Everyone is always picking on the poor ol' Torchamedes. :cry: He's a bully for the most part, but I think the flash from the camera had him a bit skeered! :rofl:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Great story T-Bug! Hope you get to feelin` better.

Lightninrod

Wonderful story and pics young Lady! Take good care of yourself. Know that your fishing buddies are all praying for you:).

Dan

sogafishin

Good story Turtlebug.Reed Bingham is a very nice place.I go there often to fish and get away.How was the grass situation?Any better?It really doesnt bother me but I know if it gets worse they are going to drain it agian.

turtlebug

Good story Turtlebug.Reed Bingham is a very nice place.I go there often to fish and get away.How was the grass situation?Any better?It really doesnt bother me but I know if it gets worse they are going to drain it agian.

The coontail moss was pretty bad. We didn't take the boat so all I can vouch for is that even by the dam, the weeds were horrific. Didn't see any gators, which to me was strange, but did see one nice turtle.

How is the fishing by way of boat when you get way back up in the sticks. I haven't fished that place in years so was just wondering how the kittyfishing was around there.

Any ideas you can give me before I load up this weekend and try it?

60Grit

I think you need to be quarantined until you can get your butt straightened out.......:bounce:

Too much drama and not enough fishin of late.....::ke:

turtlebug

I think you need to be quarantined until you can get your butt straightened out.......:bounce:

Too much drama and not enough fishin of late.....::ke:

Yeah, well in your jest, you're correct and I'm steaming mad. Just got back from the Doc and the source of my stomach ailments AND the pit in my right forearm are from a nice little infection called MRSA. :rolleyes: So all my complaining should really be classified as one ailment! :bounce: Seems several nursing homes have had serious outbreaks and didn't bother to tell anyone so I've got it now and it's hard to treat. Just upped my antibiotics, added more antibiotics and basically put me out of patient contact for a while.

The only good thing about it is that it's now covered under Worker's Comp, but I'd much rather NOT have it at all.
th36_1_30.gif

60Grit

Yeah, well in your jest, you're correct and I'm steaming mad. Just got back from the Doc and the source of my stomach ailments AND the pit in my right forearm are from a nice little infection called MRSA. :rolleyes: So all my complaining should really be classified as one ailment! :bounce: Seems several nursing homes have had serious outbreaks and didn't bother to tell anyone so I've got it now and it's hard to treat. Just upped my antibiotics, added more antibiotics and basically put me out of patient contact for a while.

The only good thing about it is that it's now covered under Worker's Comp, but I'd much rather NOT have it at all.
th36_1_30.gif

Dang TB, not good. I hate those stinking irresponsible folks.

My wife got exposed to TB 10 years ago because of the same stinking stunt.

Now she has to get tested every year.

RN's are way, way, way underpaid for the junk they have to put up with.

Take care of yourself.

Emmersom Biggens

Hope you feel better and better luck next time fishing. You are a perfect example of every boys dream Mom, my Mom would never have taken me fishing. Way to go TB

Rick_1971

Hope ya get well soon TB. My lil boy had an MRSA infection in his ears when he was about a year and a half. I think it took like somewhere between 9 months to a year to get it all cleared up. Needless to say it is a BAD bug to get. So my prayers are with you. Take care.