Two WMA hogs down!

hambone76

My buddy and I arrived at daybreak, at the spot I scouted yesterday and started working our way up the creek bottom. I found some good sign and two heavily worn trails in there the day before. We worked along slowly and started finding some really fresh sign. The sign led in separate directions up two different draws, so we split up to see what was up each one. Well, his draw turned out to be the right one, it wasn’t even 5 minutes after we split up that I heard him shoot. He had four pigs get up from their beds and start to move across the ridge, they must have seen him or smelled him. He got one of them before they got out of view. His was probably only 50 pounds. Perfect eating size.
It was really hot and the meat was going to spoil quick, so we decided to head to the truck to ice the pig and then go hit a freshly rooted up pine thicket that I found yesterday. On the way out, we decided to head up a small draw that we passed by on the way through at daybreak-just a quick look before we got out of there.
That turned out to be the right move. It had fresh rootings and several wallows in it. We were probably only 150 yards up that draw when I caught movement up the ridge above me and to the left. It was a pig coming down a steep ridge to cool itself in the creek. I was amazed at how easily it negotiated that terrain! I got the red dot on it and sent a 130 grain Barnes TSX through the base of its neck. It folded up at the crack of the rifle and tumbled down the ridge, no follow up shot needed! We got her quartered up, loaded on my pack frame and made the climb out of there for the day.
All those miles and gallons of sweat have finally paid off! Thank you God for the many blessings that you have given me this season!
36FD4C71-5DFB-4545-9445-125AC8EEA83B.jpeg72EA2E96-6723-4CF1-A372-B46B3052FBE2.jpeg

Last edited:

baddave

good job brotha . perseverance there in this heat

hambone76

That’s a nice chest holster. I have one similar for my Glock 40 Cal.
Thank you. It’s the Sportsman’s convertible model, made by a company from Brunswick, GA., called 2A Holsters. It can be set up to carry muzzle up, down and across. I have been carrying my G20 in it since January. I have well over 100 miles on foot logged while using it so far and it has been terrific. I wear a pack frame when I hog hunt so it has really been worth the investment.

jbogg

Thank you. It’s the Sportsman’s convertible model, made by a company from Brunswick, GA., called 2A Holsters. It can be set up to carry muzzle up, down and across. I have been carrying my G20 in it since January. I have well over 100 miles on foot logged while using it so far and it has been terrific. I wear a pack frame when I hog hunt so it has really been worth the investment.

I wear a pack with meat shelf as well which is why I wanted a chest rig. I tried carrying it on the waist belt of my pack initially, but it was difficult to access quickly. I put in a lot of miles as well and appreciate how comfortable it rides.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Way to go guys! Congrats on some fine bbq!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I had to read this post again............. I felt like I just went hunting in the Heat wile sitting in my AC drinking coffee! Thanks for taking us with you hambone!
Man am I jonesing to get out there. I got high hopes this year(always do) as I got my first "Deer rifle", a Savage Axis in .308, a new Crossbow with an Allatoona Permit to go with it, AND Pinelog WMA will be allowing Furbearer hunting this year!! WOOHOO................it has been a few years since they allowed it.

I seriously hope I am still married come February =0)

hambone76

It won’t be long til I’m back out there chasing after them with my muzzleloader and recurve!

Big7

The Oracle
Good kill. Even better story! Still a little hot and skeeter-e for me. Knock them out!

bany

Congrats men! Love it when it all comes together!

hambone76

Hambone, what are the optics on your 300 blackout ?
looking for suggestions recommendations to put on a KS47
It’s nothing special or elaborate. It’s a TruGlo 30mm red dot. I do a lot of spot and stalk on public land. (rarely do I ever sit and wait for pigs) I prefer a red dot or open sights for pig hunting, especially when doing the spot and stalk. Most of the times magnification isn’t needed and I have no issues shooting it accurately out to 100 yards.
I’ve had it on my 300BLK for several years since making it my go-to pig gun and it sat atop a Remington 7400 in 30/06 that was my previous pig gun. It has never lost zero or malfunctioned, despite being subjected to a lot of use and abuse. I’ll eventually put an Aimpoint on there, but I really haven’t felt compelled to reach into the $ stash.

manok051

It’s nothing special or elaborate. It’s a TruGlo 30mm red dot. I do a lot of spot and stalk on public land. (rarely do I ever sit and wait for pigs) I prefer a red dot or open sights for pig hunting, especially when doing the spot and stalk. Most of the times magnification isn’t needed and I have no issues shooting it accurately out to 100 yards.
I’ve had it on my 300BLK for several years since making it my go-to pig gun and it sat atop a Remington 7400 in 30/06 that was my previous pig gun. It has never lost zero or malfunctioned, despite being subjected to a lot of use and abuse. I’ll eventually put an Aimpoint on there, but I really haven’t felt compelled to reach into the $ stash.
Settled on a Sig Sauer romeo 5 with Magpul steel BUIS on my KS47, thanks for the reply & info