Tybee Island

acoffman3

In a week I'll be heading to Tybee Island with my parents and I want to know what the deal with shark fishing is. Is it illegal on the entire island or are their spots where you can go to legally catch them? And I'm assuming that they are trying to catch the people specifically targeting sharks right? I mean you can't tell what's gonna hit your line. And what is the deal with surf/pier fishing in that area in terms of species, etc? Thanks!

oldenred

no shark fishing on the island period, if you're using cable and pieces of fish the size of your hand then they might write you a ticket. they target the people who are obviously shark fishing. as far as species..... right now they are catching reds, trout, flounder, whiting and some spanish too

Sharkfighter

If you are fishing at Tybee there is a GOOD chance of catching small shark. Bonnet head up to 3 ft will hit a piece of shrimp right on the pier or back river pier. Nothing wrong with fishing a chunk of mullet, cut fish or squid on an appropriate line with small wire leaders also (spanish have teeth). And a light rod stout enough to catch a 3-5 ft shark is fun for reds and spanish also. If a shark "happens" to bite that there is nothing you can do but enjoy the fight!

But like Red said above, If you have a Penn 9/0 reel, 8 ft heavy wire leader ending in a 10/0 circle hook with half a blue on it, a dinner plate sized sting ray, or a whole live whiting with his pectoral fins cut off on one side and slashes down his tail, then they might think you are Shark fishing.

Just my opinion

acoffman3

Thanks for the information, I'm not looking to break any rules. Hopefully that d@mn oil spill doesn't affect the fishing, I just saw on the news that it's possible it'll catch the current near the keys and wrap around.