UGA CB jailed for not giving his name to police

Fletch_W

Banned
furthermore, how would he know he was a football player if the kid wouldn't even tell him his real name?

He's a 6' 5" 250 # black kid that lives in the Athletic Dorm (McWhorter Hall, if I'm not mistaken)

Back to the issue, it's pretty cut and dry. When the officer asks your name, you tell him whatever is on your driver's license, whether you go by that name or not. Those cops showed up to tell the guys to knock off the fireworks. Instead, they ended up having to arrest someone. I can't imagine how a simple misunderstanding could lead to a cop arresting someone for obstruction.

Is You IS Or Is You Ain't..... not a field sobriety test or the SAT exam. This one is pretty simple.

He's 3rd string? Got a bad toe? Kick him out. Let him play for Clemson.

DeWalt

Banned
Nah, not tired... Just remembering all the :stir: that went on around here last year when our program was in a downward spiral. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I think I'll partake in a little ::ke: back at y'all.

It's all in fun, right?

It's always more fun to be the poker than it is to be the pokee......
:D

Doc_Holliday23

He's a 6' 5" 250 # black kid that lives in the Athletic Dorm (McWhorter Hall, if I'm not mistaken)

Back to the issue, it's pretty cut and dry. When the officer asks your name, you tell him whatever is on your driver's license, whether you go by that name or not. Those cops showed up to tell the guys to knock off the fireworks. Instead, they ended up having to arrest someone. I can't imagine how a simple misunderstanding could lead to a cop arresting someone for obstruction.

Is You IS Or Is You Ain't..... not a field sobriety test or the SAT exam. This one is pretty simple.

He's 3rd string? Got a bad toe? Kick him out. Let him play for Clemson.

A 6'-5" 250 cornerback? And he's only 3rd string? get him on the field.

BTW... there is no such thing as an "athletic dorm" anymore. Rebember, that's one of the reasons why the coaches can't keep a good eye on players anymore.

MCBUCK

:DDidn't an old coach once say something akin to:
"When it is third and long, I will take the beer drinkers and the he77 raisers any day over the tee totalers and Sunday schoolers."

:D

Ole Fuzzy

Banned
That's the stupidest spin I've ever heard. Even yall's police force is retarded.

"Yall's" is not a word. The proper word is "your." "Y'all" is a contracted version of "you all," and there is no "you all's," at least among literate and semi-literate people that earned a high school diploma. It is a crutch for ignorant people that cannot learn English but complain about Mexicans and pressing the "1" to speak English.

So who are you to be calling anyone else retarded? :stir::bounce:

10th Legion

Here's the story i've heard... and no i don't have first hand knowledge. I wasn't there, nor do i know Jordan love, but the story goes something like this. Love's mom is an FBI agent and instructed him that if he was ever questioned by the police to show his id and not to answer any other questions (which, btw is great advice just ask any attorney). The officer questioned his middle name and love said that he wasn't sure of the spelling because he doesn't use his middle name. His middle name was his father's and he has no relationship with his father and from what i gather has never had anything to do with him (someone told me it was lawrence but was spelled a little different). The cop didn't believe him and started asking other questions and Love took his mother's advice and told the cop that he was choosing to remain silent. Now for all you who will say that he must have shown an attitude, Love has a reputation for being very humble and respectful. When i heard this morning that he was arrested i knew it had to be a mistake because he has the reputation as a high character guy. Now, from what i've heard, Love's mother is furious, the charges are going to be dropped, and expect no suspensions or any further repercussions. Keep in mind this is the campus police, and while they are legit police officers, professionally they are kind of viewed as the barney fife's of law enforcement. I would imagine the police chief is furious and the arresting officer will probably be punished. After all Love was not doing anything illegal (fireworks are legal in ga), he identified himself and then followed his mother's advice and invoked his RIGHT to remain silent.

RipperIII

How difficult is it to show a license?
The story does sound a bit trivial,...but I'm not sure that I buy the "mis-communication" bit.
Now, in my middle age, I would show the campus cops more respect than i did when I was in school...and I had a run in or three with our campus cops:bounce:

O.K, here is the police report in the cops own words.

Now with all due respect, it does look as if the officer got a little badge happy. The student gave his first and last name, and said he was unsure of the spelling of his middle name. Not usual, but hardly rising to the level of "obstruction", especially when you're not accused of committing a crime.

The UGA police chief is tripping over himself apologizing. It has also come out that the complainant told the "suspects" that he had called the police, and these two hung around, and a third party executed a bush warrant.

http://www.redandblack.com/media/2010/07/lovereport.pdf

FootLongDawg

What is wrong The University Police and Clarke County Sherrif's Office? They seem to go out of their way to make a name by arresting athletes. You don't hear about these kinda of things in Auburn, Tusculossa, Starkville, or Oxford. These are young men and young men make as lot of mistakes, if nobody is hurt or property is not damaged or people are not endangered (dui) why not take them to the coach and let him deal with it. If the High School Athletes are paying attention why would they want to go to Athens and walk the straight line with no forgiveness? Hey and this is coming from a Georgia Hater!

You are correct sir!! Especially about the campus cops. When I was there, granted it was way back in the 70's, the campus cops did not hassle the football players. I hope they screwed up royally on this one.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't have a hound in this fight but you're saying that a twenty year old kid in college cannot SPELL his own middle name??? I don't believe I'd have told that.

sandhillmike

Gone but not forgotten
I don't have a hound in this fight but you're saying that a twenty year old kid in college cannot SPELL his own middle name??? I don't believe I'd have told that.

He was only 3rd string, at Georgia you only have to be able to spell your name if you are a starter. :banana:

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

MudDucker

Staff member
O.K, here is the police report in the cops own words.

Now with all due respect, it does look as if the officer got a little badge happy. The student gave his first and last name, and said he was unsure of the spelling of his middle name. Not usual, but hardly rising to the level of "obstruction", especially when you're not accused of committing a crime.

The UGA police chief is tripping over himself apologizing. It has also come out that the complainant told the "suspects" that he had called the police, and these two hung around, and a third party executed a bush warrant.

http://www.redandblack.com/media/2010/07/lovereport.pdf

Thats what I heard, the cop was an idiot and now the city and the chief are hoping momma don't sue their rear ends. So all you Techie's can move on back over to hoping ya'll can stop the run this year and the next year and so forth. :rofl:

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Nah, not tired... Just remembering all the :stir: that went on around here last year when our program was in a downward spiral. Now that the shoe is on the other foot, I think I'll partake in a little ::ke: back at y'all.

It's all in fun, right?

Hey none of ours have held up a store wearing red and black carrying a pelet gun...yet.:(

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
"Yall's" is not a word. The proper word is "your." "Y'all" is a contracted version of "you all," and there is no "you all's," at least among literate and semi-literate people that earned a high school diploma. It is a crutch for ignorant people that cannot learn English but complain about Mexicans and pressing the "1" to speak English.

So who are you to be calling anyone else retarded? :stir::bounce:

Oh boy. I know plenty of people who say "yall" and they are far from ignorant or uneducated. This is a Yall friendly zone.

Back on topic.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I withdraw what I said earlier about Love being a moron. It sounds like the moron here is the dumb Barney Fife that seriously jumped the gun.

It's a shame there are not athletic dorms anymore because the coaches could monitor the kids a lot better but...political correctness and all that.

I too was surprised that it was Love for the reasons mentioned. Now if it had been Nick Williams? I'm not saying Nick is a thug but he is a hot head so it wouldn't have surprised me if he had gotten into a scrape with an overzealous cop.

Either way, I'm sick to death of my team making headlines for all the wrong reasons. Even though this one turned out to be bull crap, I'm just tired of it.

golffreak

Just give the police your name....pretty simple.

It does sound a little incredible, but I've worked with high school and middle school students where child, mother, and absentee father all spelled the first name a different way. It's a funny joke until you actually have to deal with it.

Here's the definition of "crawfish."

A "breakdown" in communication apparently resulted in the arrest of a University of Georgia football player Monday night, UGA police Chief Jimmy Williamson said.

Cornerback Jordan Lawrence Love, 19, was charged with misdemeanor obstruction but the charges were dropped.

Cornerback Jordan Lawrence Love, 19, was charged with misdemeanor obstruction, but he did not willingly try to deceive the officer, who was investigating a complaint that men were shooting off fireworks in the courtyard of McWhorter Hall, Williamson said.

"Mr. Love gave his first and last name, but he said he didn't know his middle name, then said he kind of knew it, but didn't know how to spell it," Williamson said.

"After I spoke with family members today I could see the officer's point of view, where he thought Mr. Love was evasive and uncooperative, but (Love's) mother explained that he does not go by his middle name for personal reasons," Williamson said.

Once an officer arrests someone, police cannot drop the charges, but the arresting officer will present the new information to an Athens-Clarke County Magistrate Court judge, Williamson said.

"I think now that the circumstances are more clear, we have the responsibility to bring that to the judge's attention and let him determine if there is probable cause" for an arrest, the police chief said.

Officers have 48 hours after an arrest to ask a judge to sign a warrant, but no UGA officers had appeared in Magistrate Court concerning Love's case as of late Tuesday afternoon, a court clerk said.

The Love family retained attorneys William E. Stiles and Sonali Garg to represent Jordan in the matter. Stiles released a statement to media on Tuesday indicating that he and Garg will "ensure that all the facts of this unfortunate incident are communicated accurately. We look forward to working with Police Chief Williamson and other University of Georgia officials in this matter and are confident that the charges against Jordan will ultimately be dismissed."

The officer who arrested Love probably decided to lock up the third-string redshirt freshman based on previous experience with deceptive and uncooperative offenders, according to Williamson.

"After multiple unsuccessful attempts to obtain Love's date of birth and the spelling of his middle name, Love was placed under arrest at (10:07 p.m.) for misdemeanor obstruction," the officer wrote in the arrest report.
Love declined comment Tuesday.

He was booked into the Clarke County Jail at 11:35 p.m. and Monday and released on a $5,000 bond at 1:03 a.m. the next day.

"I'm not saying the officer did anything wrong, but looking back, as police chief, I think there are some things we could have done a little better," Williamson said. [you think?}

Williamson plans to use Love's arrest as a "learning opportunity" [such a learning how much coverage their insurance with the PBA provides] when training officers how to interact with the public, he said.

http://www.onlineathens.com/stories/070710/foo_666366938.shtml