Ultralight Spinning Reel Recommendations

Richf7

I've been using Pflueger President and President XT spinning reels for years but it's impossible to get replacement parts. Nobody has them. I'm looking for a 2000 series for trout and crappie for less than $100.00. It's been so long since I've bought a different brand that I don't know where to start. Internet reviews are based on Amazon feedback which is unreliable. Any help is appreciated. TIA.

pbradley

I've been using Pflueger President and President XT spinning reels for years but it's impossible to get replacement parts. Nobody has them. I'm looking for a 2000 series for trout and crappie for less than $100.00. It's been so long since I've bought a different brand that I don't know where to start. Internet reviews are based on Amazon feedback which is unreliable. Any help is appreciated. TIA.
Shimano Sahara.

Lilly001

Diawa BG. A bit pricier, but I’ve got one over 40 years old and still fishing like a fool.
I use them fresh and salt water.
The new ones handle braid very well.
YMMV

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I have a couple lil ( and lots of bigger ones) Penn Battles that go pretty good...

20230209_195419.jpg

And I will definitely not miss the chance to buy another one of these little Lew's Mach II Speed Spin with 10 bearings...

20230209_195143.jpg

Edit- These are usually just a small touch over $100.

hopper

How many yrs out of the $60 pflueger? I'm going on 5yrs on a few with no issues. When they break I will probably just toss and buy new.

Richf7

How many yrs out of the $60 pflueger? I'm going on 5yrs on a few with no issues. When they break I will probably just toss and buy new.
It's been five years and think I paid more than $75. I'm not happy about buying a new reel because a $10.00 drag knob is on back order. Had the same problem with another Pflueger seven years ago which long before the COVID supply chain issues. Wondering if other manufacturers have the same problem.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
It's been five years and think I paid more than $75. I'm not happy about buying a new reel because a $10.00 drag knob is on back order. Had the same problem with another Pflueger seven years ago which long before the COVID supply chain issues. Wondering if other manufacturers have the same problem.
Where are you looking for parts?

Here are a couple places that appear to have knobs in stock. Search your exact one to be sure.

Richf7

hopper

Yeah. I'm thinking it's a crap shoot across the board on parts. Good Luck!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
You might take a look at some of the Japanese fishing retailers like Digitaka. They have extremely good pricing right now due to the exchange rates. They also offer a lot of smaller size spinning reels that we can't get in the US from Shimano and Diawa. Free shipping also!

doomtrpr_z71

Plat had several Shimano and daiwa ultralights on sale for less than $100, plus FedEx from Japan is quicker than FedEx in the states.

Redbow

I have had a Shimano ultra-lite reel and the same rod that came with it for over 30 years, it still functions like when new never any problems with it. It has caught some nice White Bass and some big Bream over the years.