Unusual number of daytime coons

Shadow11

Been seeing an unusual number of daytime coons on property this yr. I haven't changed much from yrs past as far as feeding corn for the deer. Other than a hand full of times in past yrs, all the coon pics were at night. This year it's almost everyday, and more than just 1 like last yr.

I just saw one an hour ago (6pm) on my grape vines. Rabies has been found in coons in my county's region, but nothing within 3 or 4 miles that i know of.

Is there any concern here, or is that pretty normal?

Shadow11

I wonder if their populations are so high that they are having to forage as much as they can for available food to keep up with the competition to have something to eat.
That's what I'm hoping atleast. Unfortunately i cant tell one from another. This is the first time they've hit my garden, so maybe that's what it is.

Robust Redhorse

I'm in White County and I've gotten the impression that there was not much to eat in the forest this summer.

I've seen many animals out during mid-day this summer that I would normally expect to see only diurnally, or at night.

Bobby Bigtime

I hunt coons at a coworkers ranch around the grain bins and down on her creek. A few years ago I ordered a call for the heck of it to try when things got slow. I wasn't expecting it to be so effective, the first time I tried it a whole six pack of them came in. You might want to give one a try it's been a lot of fun for me.

Shane Dockery

I agree. On camera, day or night, tons of coons. I've never had them on camera during the day before. As Nic said, maybe it's the population of them. This year's pack is much larger on my property.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word

Latest posts